Jordan Willis finds comfort, opportunity in second season with Cincinnati Bengals

He wasn’t. He said that some vets who didn’t make the team were jerks, basically, to him, mis-reading his quiet demeanor as being standoffish etc. From the podcast interview, without naming names, it would appear Gilberry was a bit of a dick to him. 

25 minutes ago, membengal said:

He wasn’t. He said that some vets who didn’t make the team were jerks, basically, to him, mis-reading his quiet demeanor as being standoffish etc. From the podcast interview, without naming names, it would appear Gilberry was a bit of a dick to him. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/09/jordan-willis-admits-few-bengals-veterans-made-life-hard-on-him-as-a-rookie/?utm_source=bengalswire&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

“There was a couple guys who ended up not being on the team who were making it hard on me when I first came in,” Willis said. “I’m a quiet guy. Sometimes that is misinterpreted by people. Because I don’t talk a lot and a lot of people get offended by that or don’t understand it, so to speak.

…It’s been better by just hanging around the guys. And most of the guys that made it hard on me, they were cut. So that made it better. Through time things change just like it is now.”

It’s quite the revealing quote from Willis, who has put on some weight and looks ready to take over the starting gig while Michael Johnson assumes his role as a rusher from the interior.

This time last year, Willis arrived with the Bengals and had to spar with guys like Will Clarke, Wallace Gilberry, Chris Smith and Marcus Hardison for snaps. The competitive nature of the NFL doesn’t always mean camaraderie is high among positional groups with jobs on the line.

****No source but I saw somewhere that Dingleberry and Smith were singled out, specifically.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/09/jordan-willis-admits-few-bengals-veterans-made-life-hard-on-him-as-a-rookie/?utm_source=bengalswire&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

“There was a couple guys who ended up not being on the team who were making it hard on me when I first came in,” Willis said. “I’m a quiet guy. Sometimes that is misinterpreted by people. Because I don’t talk a lot and a lot of people get offended by that or don’t understand it, so to speak.

…It’s been better by just hanging around the guys. And most of the guys that made it hard on me, they were cut. So that made it better. Through time things change just like it is now.”

It’s quite the revealing quote from Willis, who has put on some weight and looks ready to take over the starting gig while Michael Johnson assumes his role as a rusher from the interior.

This time last year, Willis arrived with the Bengals and had to spar with guys like Will Clarke, Wallace Gilberry, Chris Smith and Marcus Hardison for snaps. The competitive nature of the NFL doesn’t always mean camaraderie is high among positional groups with jobs on the line.

****No source but I saw somewhere that Dingleberry and Smith were singled out, specifically.

When you are 32 (Gilberry) and there is $900,000 on the line if you make  the team (salary) it shouldn't be a surprise that he would try to get into the head of a guy obviously drafted to take your job.  Same goes for Smith who ended up in Jacksonville.  Hardison was in same boat but was never really going to make it. 

Archived