Dark Horse WR candidate?

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

While we're on the WR's..

If Ross doesn't lock down WR2 can we all agree he's a bust?  At 9th overall?

Not as long as Marvin "I love veterans" Lewis is head coach.  Remember WJ3 didn't play a lot early on last year.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not as long as Marvin "I love veterans" Lewis is head coach.  Remember WJ3 didn't play a lot early on last year.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Marv played a lot of younger guys last year...WAY more than he would historically.  WJ3, in the past, may not have even really seen the field until this year or next.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Do you mean he is going to cost us a Super Bowl victory?

:42:

Most people forget Archie Griffin was on that team and had 1 rush for 4 yards and a fumble (recovered)

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't expect Ross to be anything more than the #4 guy this year. Being the #2 guy requires Ross to run block, make adjustments on the fly, and being able to run various types of routes. 

Ross has to prove he can stay healthy and do the little things that starting WRs do in order to start. 

He does need to make significant improvements, catching 40 balls for 6 TDs would be good for what is essentially his rookie season.

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I don't expect Ross to be anything more than the #4 guy this year. Being the #2 guy requires Ross to run block, make adjustments on the fly, and being able to run various types of routes. 

Ross has to prove he can stay healthy and do the little things that starting WRs do in order to start. 

He does need to make significant improvements, catching 40 balls for 6 TDs would be good for what is essentially his rookie season.

Nah.  He is a #9 pick and this is not his rookie year.  Has had 12 months to learn the playbook, system, was at plenty of practices before his season ended and saw the field a few times.  Sure, he needs some more game experience to become more polished but there is no way I am giving him a day one rookie pass.   

That said, 40 balls and 6 TDs would be decent #2 receiver numbers (assuming his yardage would be pretty high per catch based on speed as well)  and way higher than any #4 receiver I can remember. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Nah.  He is a #9 pick and this is not his rookie year.  Has had 12 months to learn the playbook, system, was at plenty of practices before his season ended and saw the field a few times.  Sure, he needs some more game experience to become more polished but there is no way I am giving him a day one rookie pass.   

That said, 40 balls and 6 TDs would be decent #2 receiver numbers (assuming his yardage would be pretty high per catch based on speed as well)  and way higher than any #4 receiver I can remember. 

I can't see the coaching staff or Dalton for that matter trusting Ross without proving he can play. Just because he was drafted at 9 means he has to be the #2 WR, thankful the Bengals aren't that desperate.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, T-Dub said:

Not so much that he has to be, as that he should be for that high a draft pick.

Yep.  If the guy is healthy he should be getting the ball quite a bit.  Anytime you have a player who has "take the ball to the House" speed, you want him to get the ball.   It forces the defense to protect over the top.   There is a reason New Orleans is willing to pay old man Ted Ginn $3 mil a year,  speed!!

Tate will Try to Reach Roster

Hoard-Dan-160505-(head shot)-001

Dan Hoard

BENGALS RADIO BROADCASTER

Bengals Rookie Minicamp Football

John Minchillo/AP Images

Rookie Auden Tate made a big impression at the Bengals’ minicamp in mid-June.

Emphasis on BIG.

The 6’5”, 228 pound wide receiver out of Florida State made several jaw-dropping touchdown catches that had his fellow receivers raving.

“Unbelievable,” said A.J. Green. “We call him a young Brandon Marshall. The guy has unbelievable hands, he’s big (with) great body control. He had a very good (minicamp).”

“His catch radius is ridiculous,” said John Ross. “It looks like the ball is always out of reach with him but it’s never out of reach. He’s going to be something serious.”

The Bengals drafted Tate in the seventh round with the 253rd overall pick. He’s not a speedster as the 21-year-old ran a 4.68 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he doesn’t have to be with his height and 33 ¾” arms.

“He can separate,” said wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell. “He’s not the fastest guy in the world and I’m not going to say that he is, but he moves well and he’s got really good quickness at the top of the break.

“He’s got a lot of things that you can’t teach. He’s got unbelievable size. He’s got really good body control. He’s got some quickness and he catches the ball the way that he caught it on film when we evaluated him. The first thing I saw with him is that he catches everything and that’s obviously important for us.”

180512-rookie-minicamp-auden-tate

Tate led the ACC with 10 touchdown catches last season and 16 of his 65 receptions (25%) in two seasons at FSU went for scores. In Cincinnati’s most recent minicamp, Tate was frequently targeted in red zone drills.

“That’s how I started at Florida State and then just kind of built my role from there,” he said. “That’s probably how it’s going to go here.”

“Every time the ball is thrown to him he catches it,” said Bicknell. “He just really did a great job of catching the football – framing the ball, natural hands, and being strong and competitive.”

Tate made several contested catches where the ball was thrown to a spot where only he could reach it.

“It made me feel really good,” he said. “It’s just building trust and chemistry with them knowing that if everything is broken down they can just give me a chance.”

“He can get to some places on the field that a lot of guys can’t reach,” said Bicknell.

180511-rookie-minicamp-auden-tate

Tate’s strong showing at the June minicamp gave him confidence that he can play in the NFL.

“You never know until you get out there,” he said. “Now I know that I can really play with them it just takes a lot of stress off of me, so I’ll just go out there and play my game.”

“I’m excited about him,” said Bicknell. “I think he’s got to come back and have a great summer camp obviously, but he’s started off well.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/tate-will-try-to-reach-roster

Archived