Price fully cleared

I will fully admit to being not thrilled with that pick, 100% because I was worried the injury would linger. So glad that it appears that for once the Bengals are getting a good result on an injury timeline. Everything from Price so far has been positive in terms of how he has thrown himself into doing what he can while he waited, the chances of this team being good are markedly better with him now cleared. Very good development for sure. 

I mean, everything about this seems like really great news:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Price-cleared-but-continues-to-grind/e43bb138-1524-43d3-a71c-b04a665a8706

The surprise isn’t that rookie center Billy Price’s New York doctor cleared him for all football activities on Monday. The surprise is that he did so much work on the field during the last month before he did get cleared. As he rehabbed from early March surgery to repair a partially torn pectoral muscle, Price did everything in the May on-field voluntary drills but 11-on-11 full-blown team snaps.

“Well, yeah, maybe,” said Price Monday, asked if he did more than had been prescribed. “But it always felt great. I didn’t feel like I overdid anything. When you think about it, being at Ohio State and then coming down here (in the middle of it), the rehab probably went as smoothly as it could have.” Price, back in Cincinnati after the quick up-and-back to The Big Apple, had always been penciled in for the start of training camp even before the Bengals took him with their first pick at No. 21. As the club wrapped up its mandatory minicamp last Thursday, Price theorized he was a month ahead of schedule and he’s emboldened by the work he did get done in new offensive line coach Frank Pollack’s scheme.

There were those that were surprised Price got as much done physically during the nine practice sessions since Pollack’s intense individual drills are seen to be as demanding, if not more so, than the team work. Pollack’s emphasis on punching and use of hands tested Price’s rehab right away and he passed with flying colors. “Any offensive lineman has to be able to use the arms and hands to be able to punch,” Price said. “The only restriction was not being able to go 11-on-11 and now that’s been lifted, so we’re good to go.”

The Bengals are also emboldened by their choice back in April. It’s believed they had Price and Frank Ragnow, the 6-5, 312-pounder from Arkansas, rated pretty much evenly among centers and when the Lions took Ragnow No. 20 Price was the no-doubt pick. After watching the 6-3, 300-pound Price work, the Bengals believe his frame may actually be a better fit than Ragnow for what Pollack asks his linemen to do. “I just have to keep it going,” Price said. “So far so good. I’ve got another big month to go.”

Here’s another reason why the Bengals also think he’s a great fit for what Pollack is building up front. His unvarnished work ethic. Price has already found a home in Kentucky, has settled in after his move from Columbus, and plans to work with Bengals rehab trainer Nick Cosgray daily at Paul Brown Stadium until training camp start July 26. That’s three months to the day after the draft and he figures to be lining up as the No. 1 center. “I won’t be with Coach Pollack, but I’ll be doing some on-field stuff with Nick Cosgray,” said Price, who is back to repping 315 pounds. “I’ll keep studying the playbook and try to keep getting stronger.”

Sure can't question his work ethic or desire to be on the field. Given how slow some other rehabs have gone, delighted with this one. And, the way he's handled himself since the draft, he really should be able to hit the ground running on day 1 of camp.

I don't think my man crush on this guy could be any greater. Hometown kid, playing for the hometown team in college AND in the pros, seems to have an unstoppable motor and love of the game...FFS, wish we had five Billy Price's to play each line position.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, membengal said:

I will fully admit to being not thrilled with that pick, 100% because I was worried the injury would linger. So glad that it appears that for once the Bengals are getting a good result on an injury timeline. Everything from Price so far has been positive in terms of how he has thrown himself into doing what he can while he waited, the chances of this team being good are markedly better with him now cleared. Very good development for sure. 

I had a partial pec tear and it was painful as hell for 6 months but eventually it healed without surgery. These guys have the best treatment and rehab so I have no doubt they have taken care of their #1 pick and he's 100% ready to go. I'm ready for Billy to anchor the OL for the next 15 years :-0

2 hours ago, saphead said:

I welcome him with open arms, but I'll keep him at arms length, I hope he treats the O-line like a coat of arms or armored truck, but it's not armageddon or anything.

His arm length or your arm length?

...or Rick's arm length?

:whistle:

4 hours ago, saphead said:

I welcome him with open arms, but I'll keep him at arms length, I hope he treats the O-line like a coat of arms or armored truck, but it's not armageddon or anything.

LOL. The arm jokes, the latest meme on go-bengals.com

Love it! Poor Rick...

On 6/28/2018 at 8:47 AM, SF2 said:

Oh my! That is too funny. Also, it points out what I was afraid of before the draft, short arms. It is difficult to make contact with defensive players. Not good. 

4 hours ago, Rick said:

Oh my! That is too funny. Also, it points out what I was afraid of before the draft, short arms. It is difficult to make contact with defensive players. Not good. 

:rolleyes:

C'mon Rick, you don't actually believe this, do you? You don't start 55 games at center at Ohio State under Urban if you aren't able to make contact with DT's...

5 hours ago, Bunghole said:

:rolleyes:

C'mon Rick, you don't actually believe this, do you? You don't start 55 games at center at Ohio State under Urban if you aren't able to make contact with DT's...

Well, he didn't start 55 games at center.  He started his first 3 years at guard.  But he was good enough to start on the national championship team as a freshman (redshirt).

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Well, he didn't start 55 games at center.  He started his first 3 years at guard.  But he was good enough to start on the national championship team as a freshman (redshirt).

Ooops. I don't follow collegiate ball very much.

22 minutes ago, Rick said:

I will predict Price will lead the team with holding. Unfortunately, some of his holding penalties with cause us to lose a game or two. 

The 2014 Buckeyes finished the season with 11 straight games without a holding penalty on the O-line.  Price was a starter on that team.  

Archived