Are We Really Set At Safety?

As many of you know, the FA safety market is in a veritable dead zone this offseason. There have been articles galore written about some of these quality players (Vaccaro, Reid, etc) that are and have been available for awhile now. They are getting offers, but they're turning them down because they are getting lowballed. I just read an article on NFL.com today about it. Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000938261/article/free-agent-tre-boston-safety-market-is-kinda-rough

Now, I don't think the Bengals should just rush out and sign someone just to sign them. But are we really confident in whom we have? Behind Williams (meh) and Iloka and the rookie Bates, do we have ANYONE that stirs a pulse in any of you guys? Wouldn't we be better off with a vet at the position (and most if not all of these guys are young, BTW)? Why is the safety market so stagnant? The back end is really important!

Whaddya think?

I would hope so. We have 2 very good safeties signed to friendly deals and then drafted a guy I really like. If Bates reaches his potential then he likely replaces Iloka sooner rather than later unless they go back to 3 safeties.  Signing a FA isn't going to do anything but take snaps away from Bates.

3 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

I would hope so. We have 2 very good safeties signed to friendly deals and then drafted a guy I really like. If Bates reaches his potential then he likely replaces Iloka sooner rather than later unless they go back to 3 safeties.  Signing a FA isn't going to do anything but take snaps away from Bates.

I would agree with this; DB is the least of our roster worries for now.

Prior to the draft the Bengals were definitely looking for safety help.  They brought in Kurt Coleman and Eric Reid for visits but didn't sign either for different reasons.  After drafting Bates, I'm not sure they will make another move.  I don't think they are worried about Iloka.  Williams was solid as a 3rd safety but hasn't played up to expectations as a starter.  I can see him losing snaps to Bates and he will probably be more productive back in the 3rd safety role.  He's also relatively cheap.  Behind the top 3, Fejeldem is good on ST and a decent emergency option.  They could also use Shaw in a pinch.  Bottom line, I don't think they used a 2nd round pick on Bates not to play him and I doubt they sign a FA unless there is an injury or surprise cut.

11 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

If Bates reaches his potential then he likely replaces Iloka sooner rather than later unless they go back to 3 safeties.  

Really? I always thought Iloka was more solid than Williams.

19 minutes ago, Cat said:

Really? I always thought Iloka was more solid than Williams.

I feel the exact same way, furthermore, I really think signing a decent vet FA for a short term deal would be an upgrade over Williams/Fedjelem.

7 hours ago, Dr Tarzan said:

I think you all underrate Fej.   He is probably the surest tackling DB on the roster.  He doesn't have alot of measurables but he never seemed lost in coverage and played angles well.   I would have him over Williams all day.

Exactly, Fej aka Thor is a good option as the 4th safety. I don't think the Bengals are going to add another safety after drafting one in the second round and having two guys with relatively big money deals under contract. 

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Iloka is a good safety..

Williams is a north south run stopper but lacks playmaking...

Bates is a reggie nelson playmaker...

I see Iloka and Bates as starters soon....Williams on rushing downs...

This is the opposite.  Williams is the much better center fielder and coverage safety. He is much more of the playmaker than Iloka.  Iloka is a way better open field tackler than Williams.  They actually let Williams take coverage 1 on 1 at times and do everything they can to avoid Iloka getting put into those positions.

7 hours ago, Dr Tarzan said:

I think you all underrate Fej.   He is probably the surest tackling DB on the roster.  He doesn't have alot of measurables but he never seemed lost in coverage and played angles well.   I would have him over Williams all day.

Our entire safety group is underrated.  We are stacked at safety and Fej is definitely underrated.

12 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

This is the opposite.  Williams is the much better center fielder and coverage safety. He is much more of the playmaker than Iloka.  Iloka is a way better open field tackler than Williams.  They actually let Williams take coverage 1 on 1 at times and do everything they can to avoid Iloka getting put into those positions.

How many int has Williams had?

I disagree with your assesment...

I think we are saving some rainy-day money for an offensive lineman who will get cut during camp. Currently, I think the offensive line needs addressed more than any other area for the 2018 season. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I think we are saving some rainy-day money for an offensive lineman who will get cut during camp. Currently, I think the offensive line needs addressed more than any other area for the 2018 season. 

I think that position group has been addressed more than any other. You don't agree?

8 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I think that position group has been addressed more than any other. You don't agree?

I don’t agree. Sorry to say, but the Bengals do not have a solid offensive line. 

Archived