Supplemental Draft Prospects?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/25/2018-nfl-supplemental-draft-cincinnati-bengals/3/

Format of article too awkward for me to cut and paste but worth a look-see and fodder for off season speculation.

Sam Beal, CB, Western Michigan

College teammate to Bengals fifth-round pick Darius Phillips, Beal checks in at 6’1″ and 185 pounds and broke up 10 passes a year ago.

Beal lost his collegiate eligible over academics. On the field, he’s got massive upside considering what he’s shown already and the fact he only played corner for two years at the college level.

It should go without saying, but the Bengals will likely need to cough up more than a sixth-round pick for Beal.

************** All 32 teams including the Bengals attended his pro day.  He will be somewhere.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Brandon Bryant, S, Mississippi State

Bryant might be more of what the Bengals are looking for and he might only cost a sixth, too.

Also in the supplemental over academic issues, Bryant had his best year in 2015 before getting lost on a budding defense.

Former Mississippi State safety Brandon Bryant’s application for the NFL supplemental draft has been approved, source said. His pro day will be June 25 at MSU.

But like Beal, there is plenty to like — including a 4.24-second mark in the 40-yard dash, a 600-pound deadlift and a 450-pound squat.

Based on his 2015 film, Bryant isn’t just a workout warrior and the Bengals haven’t been shy about attacking safety this offseason. More depth with upside couldn’t hurt.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech

It’s impossible to ignore Alexander, a gigantic 6’3″, 207-pound corner with seven interceptions to his name and 17 pass deflections.

Alexander had a solid grade from evaluators before he decided to return to school — then academic issues popped up. Now he’s one of the most talented players to enter the supplemental draft in a long time and the NFL has taken notice:

At least 26 teams on hand to watch supplemental draft prospect Adonis Alexander work out -full results with meeting info http://draftanalyst.com/adonis-alexander-works-out-26-teams 

The Bengals aren’t hurting for cornerbacks by any means, but rolling the dice on Alexander with a mid-round pick couldn’t hurt. At a minimum, they could lose slot corner Darqueze Dennard to free agency after the season.

Big, lanky corners don’t come around often and the Bengals love to acquire as many as possible.

Gosh and golly gee, Harry.  That really is a good article and real grist for the skull mill this off season.

Beal will probably go elsewhere (why am I thinking Poopsburg? Or even Clown Town up north?).  But the other two, Bryant and Adorable Adrian Alexander, are intriguing to me.

It was discussed in another thread but I think we are far from set at safety.  Sean Williams is meh at best and I also think there could be an upgrade over Iloka.  Drafting Master Bates in Round Two shows the Bengals are concerned, too.

Bryant is a Safety already and Alexander could be a beast back there.

Academic problems, all, but the tools seem to be there.  

JMHO and a good day to all. :gobengals:

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Gosh and golly gee, Harry.  That really is a good article and real grist for the skull mill this off season.

Beal will probably go elsewhere (why am I thinking Poopsburg? Or even Clown Town up north?).  But the other two, Bryant and Adorable Adrian Alexander, are intriguing to me.

It was discussed in another thread but I think we are far from set at safety.  Sean Williams is meh at best and I also think there could be an upgrade over Iloka.  Drafting Master Bates in Round Two shows the Bengals are concerned, too.

Bryant is a Safety already and Alexander could be a beast back there.

Academic problems, all, but the tools seem to be there.  

JMHO and a good day to all. :gobengals:

What?  Williams meh? Upgrade over Iloka?  He's going to the Hall of Fame.  Besides, we've got Josh Shaw and Dark Keys Dennard, highly paid former first round pick and nickel back coming up for another contract.  Why would we want to use a future draft pick on any of these guys?  Its not like we ever get any supplemental picks or anything and have any to burn.

You're nothing but a troll.

You guys quit this bickering and name calling.  Take it off the board with IM, get a room, or just STFU or I'll report you to a mod and get the thread locked or deleted or moved to the Dungeons and Dragons board where it belongs.

I'm just trying to get some conversation going in this dead zone part of the year before the season starts or at least training camp.  Sheesh.

In some ways I agree with Harry.  But Harry also brings up some valid points.  I really can't decide which one I agree more with though...tough call.  I just wish they could be more civil about it.  Can't we all just get along?

Seriously though, a 6'3" 207lb corner?  Wow, that is eye opening!  Guy must have brick hands not to be playing WR.

Gawd I hate this time of year in Bengal land.

Not that we couldn't get better at DB but that's IMO one of the strongest groups we have for now.   I'd much rather see us build some depth at OL or LB.  If a new DB made DreSwagYolo expendable, though, that'd be cool.  I think too much Pacman rubbed off on that guy.

(seriously)  My thinking is if any of these guys is better than the worse player at that position on the team, bring him in.  We're going to get comp picks this year, anyway, so we're not losing anything.  Cut Ogbuhi, get a comp pick and use it for a Beal or Alexander.

For example, I've seen enough of Shaw to know he isn't going to get any better.  Would one of these guys be an upgrade or at least a potential (really don't like that word) upgrade over our know commodity.  Ditto Fedj, as much as I (all) like him.  Special teamer or someone who can put Jar Jar Binks Squeeler on IR, legally.

They brought in undrafted free agent Burfict and look how that worked out.

Pacman, for all he was and wasn't, was an intense intimidator in the defensive backfield although a lot of his best hits were after the whistle.  Fulcher played that role for years and is on everyone's Favorite Bengals list.  What is a receiver going to think and sees a 6'3" 200+ defensive back across from him?  How many passses is he going to bat down with his height and wingspan?  More than Shaw?

But if any/all are an upgrade over the worse guy at that position, any position, bring them in.

• 2 weeks later...

Still goofing on this.  If supplemental draft player X is better than the player at the bottom of the totem pole on the team, why not bring him in?  Chances are Dennard will leave at the end of the year for free agency, like it or not.  I don't think the Bengals will put out the money to sign Carlos, Geno and Dennard all three.  Besides with MikeBrownThink, former first rounder Dennard will cop a decent compensatory pick in the draft.

I have been following this a bit and have come to these conclusions.

Beal is a hot commodity and will go for at least a third round pick.  Too pricey for the Bengals and I agree but I can see Pittsville picking him up and making him another hired assassin.  New England, Philadelphia... maybe.  To stock the cupboard for future use.

Bryant... meh.  6th or 7th round offer, if that, or pick him up as an undrafted free agent it no one takes him.  I would not mind having him on the team.

Adorable Adrian Adonis Alexander ... I would like this guy.  Cutting our lowest ranked cornerback for him and adding him to the practice squad if possible or having him on speed dial if Adorable Adrian does not work out.  The little film I saw on him did not show him as a ball hawk.  He did make one int on an underthrown pass.  Difficult to really judge considering the level of competition but he was braking up passes just with his height and arms getting in the way of a reception.

There is a hot running back out there who will probably go somewhere but not interested for us.

Sam Beal went to the Giants for a third round pick and Alexander went to Washington for a sixth round pick.

Brandon Bryant is now a free agent.

LB Bright Ugwoegbu and RB Marty Carter also not picked and free agents.

I think Adonis Washington was well worth a 6th rounder just to bring into camp and the

Bengals should try to sign Bryant just to bring him in and see if he can play special teams

if nothing else.

Archived