ARMY TO STAY IN IRAQ TIL 2009 AT LEAST

Guest ONYX

I wonder if "g.dubya" still would have been elected for a second term in office if the American people knew this war was going to last (at least) that long, Osama Bin Ladden would still be at large, :rant: gas prices would be soon exceeding $3.00 a gallon :angry: , and the rate of fatalities of American soildiers would be increasing with every month :rant: ?

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/20/us.troops.ap/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/20/...s.ap/index.html[/url]

Whats your take on this, BJ?

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]"I'm very confident that there is no difference in the preparation" of active-duty soldiers and the reservists, who normally train one weekend a month and two weeks each summer, unless they are mobilized. Once called to active duty, they go through the same training as active-duty units.[/quote]

[i][b] <_< Then what is the benefit of having a large standing army, if supposedly our once a weekend men are just as capable as the troops that are supposed to be honing their craft all year round????[/b][/i]

[quote]In internal surveys some in the reserve forces have indicated to Army leaders that they think they are spending too much time in pre-deployment training, not too little, Schoomaker said."Consistently, what we've been (hearing) is, `We're better than you think we are, and we could do this faster,' " he said.[/quote]

[i][b]Machismo Bullshit, who cares if some guy thinks he is ready... I am sure a lot of 18 year old well intentioned kids think they are Rambo and ready for combat... We should not be relying on whether they personally think they are ready....

As for us staying till 2009... it doesn't surpise me... although I think it will Cost Republicans dearly and they will lose the next election and the Dem President will pull us out in 08'.

The approval will only fall through the floor if Bush attempts to keep the same status Quo for 4 more years. By that time you will be looking at 5,000+ Casualties probably 100,00 wounded US troops, and nightly news of bombings for the next 48 months..... add that to a stubborn Bush who will stay even if there is only 15 % approval for it.... and HELLO VIETNAM !!! [/b][/i]

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://www.ccmep.org/2002_articles/evidence.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ccmep.org/2002_articles/ShowLetter.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.ccmep.org/2002_articles/sewing.jpg[/img]

The reason Vietnam was so fucked up was because of the self-imposed "rules of engagement" the US followed because they were scared of dragging China and/or the USSR into the conflict.

The media only reporting the negative accounts of the war (ie only roadside bombs and deaths) w/o showing the positives only divides and undermines. Unlike Vietnam, we should allow them to get the job done and quit trying to pin down an exit time (which is bullshit because the insurgents would just bide their time then).

[quote name='Beaker' date='Aug 21 2005, 01:00 PM']The reason Vietnam was so fucked up was because of the self-imposed "rules of engagement" the US followed because they were scared of dragging China and/or the USSR into the conflict.[/quote]

Not true.

[quote]The media only reporting the negative accounts of the war (ie only roadside bombs and deaths) w/o showing the positives only divides and undermines. Unlike Vietnam, we should allow them to get the job done and quit trying to pin down an exit time (which is bullshit because the insurgents would just bide their time then).
[right][post="135326"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'd settle for a exit strategy, independent of timing.

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b][color="blue"]you never out wait an insurgency....[/color]

the motivation to preserve your own country from what you believe is (evil capitalist bastards bent on getting your sister to slut around in mini skirts) will always be a stronger human emotion, than taking an 18 year old kid who really just wanted college cash and dropping him in a sand storm half way around the world, and telling him to carry on while he picks up the severed burned arm of his best friend kiled by a roadside bomb by an enemy he is there to "liberate."[/b][/i]

Guest steggyD
Didn't we lose the number of people in one day in Vietnam that we've lost total in Iraq? I doubt we could really compare the two yet. That is really patronizing those who fought in Vietnam.

Guest bengalrick
my philosophy in general, in most situations is this: "figure the worst, hope for the best"... he also finished w/ saying that worst case scenario, we are planning to last that long... that means, that we are still fighting until things get better... you guys are too antsy... you hear some reports that say we're out by next year, and another saying we're there till '09... like most things in life, its probably somewhere in the middle of there... that would be my guess...

Guest oldschooler
[quote]In an Associated Press interview, Gen. Peter Schoomaker said the Army is prepared for the [b]"worst case"[/b] in terms of the required level of troops in Iraq. He said the number could be adjusted lower, if called for, by slowing troop rotation or by shortening tours for soldiers.[/quote]

Those words came from a General`s mouth...
that said they were planning ahead *gasp*

The exit stradegy is to build Iraq an infrastructure.
To let THEM draft their OWN constitution. To let THEM
vote on their OWN leaders...And prepare THEM
so they can defend theirselves...

Wow that`s ridiculous to plan on staying there
until all of those thing are accomplished ! :roll:

Our troops COULD stay that long in a "worst case" scenario.
But I highly doubt it...

[quote name='Beaker' date='Aug 22 2005, 08:59 AM']Comparisons to Vietnam are just baseless rhetoric. (Other than protesters voicing opposition to the war).
[right][post="135602"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Only for those not willing to question the fundamental premises of US foreign policy since WWII.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Aug 22 2005, 09:05 AM']Those words came from a General`s mouth...
that said they were planning ahead *gasp*
The exit stradegy is to build Iraq an infrastructure.
To let THEM draft their OWN constitution. To let THEM
vote on their OWN leaders...And prepare THEM
so they can defend theirselves...

Wow that`s ridiculous to plan on staying there
until all of those thing are accomplished ! :roll:
Our troops COULD stay that long in a "worst case" scenario.
But I highly doubt it...
[right][post="135603"][/post][/right][/quote]

Are you really this dense or are you just having fun? :lol:

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Aug 22 2005, 12:52 PM']Are you really this dense or are you just having fun? :lol:
[right][post="135767"][/post][/right][/quote]

What did I say that was "dense" ?

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 22 2005, 01:09 PM']What didn't I say that was "dense" ?  ;)
[right][post="135781"][/post][/right][/quote]

Hey NOW we agree that almost everything
you say in every forum but Bengals is dense. ;)

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Hey NOW we agree that almost everything
you say in every forum but Bengals is dense. [/quote]

[i][b]c'mon old that was almost the equivalent of "I know you are but what am I"

you can do better [/b][/i]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 22 2005, 01:13 PM'][i][b]c'mon old that was almost the equivalent of "I know you are but what am I"

you can do better [/b][/i]
[right][post="135787"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

:roll:

So you changed DID to DIDN`T ...so I just thought
if it was good enough for you ...

Archived