5 reasons why the Bengals will make the playoffs in 2018

Considering they won 7 games last year with one of the worst offensive lines in the league, playoffs are not out the question if they can make marginal improvements in that area.  The line simply must play better and I like the chances of that happening with Alexander and Bodine both departing and Ogbuehi being replaced.  New faces have been added and Pollack seems to be overhauling the culture of the entire group, both in scheme and attitude.  It doesn't guarantee more wins, but no one can claim that they refused to change or ignored their most glaring weakness.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Considering they won 7 games last year with one of the worst offensive lines in the league, playoffs are not out the question if they can make marginal improvements in that area.  The line simply must play better and I like the chances of that happening with Alexander and Bodine both departing and Ogbuehi being replaced.  New faces have been added and Pollack seems to be overhauling the culture of the entire group, both in scheme and attitude.  It doesn't guarantee more wins, but no one can claim that they refused to change or ignored their most glaring weakness.  

I would agree that long-term OL improvement is much more about shitcanning Alexander than trading for Glenn.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I would agree that long-term OL improvement is much more about shitcanning Alexander than trading for Glenn.

I think we have to let it play out with Glenn.  Everyone on the board knows you were not a fan of the trade.  I think even the most optimistic people would acknowledge there is risk involved, as there is with any player.  But I am not writing him off as injured already and I think it was the right move to replace Cedric with a veteran instead of a rookie.  If it blows up on them, so be it.  Boling gives them another option at LT if it were to happen.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Also, best case scenario is shitcanning Alexander yields short term success.

Its going to be an intriguing season.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:24 PM, Jamie_B said:

Austin as a DCoord imo is a question mark. He didn't exactly produce good D's in Det, but he also didn't have the talent he has here.

Well see.

Austin's best was in 2014, it wasn't until the lion decided to let ndamukong suh walk.That the defense fell from being one the best time to mediocre.Austin has hinted at the fact that his defense was going more of an organized chaos defense like the one in baltimore and he would keep a little of what mike zimmer and paul guaether had already established here.

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think we have to let it play out with Glenn.  Everyone on the board knows you were not a fan of the trade.  I think even the most optimistic people would acknowledge there is risk involved, as there is with any player.  But I am not writing him off as injured already and I think it was the right move to replace Cedric with a veteran instead of a rookie.  If it blows up on them, so be it.  Boling gives them another option at LT if it were to happen.

No the trade made sense.  What doesn't make sense is not having a plan B & trying to build some depth at the weakest position on the roster.  Like it's great they slapped some duct tape on it but they still need to call a plumber. 

56 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

No the trade made sense.  What doesn't make sense is not having a plan B & trying to build some depth at the weakest position on the roster.  Like it's great they slapped some duct tape on it but they still need to call a plumber. 

Agreed.  Boling is the Plan B to me.  Westerman or Redmond steps in at LG.  Definitely not ideal but better than playing Ced.  Of course, Glenn could stay healthy and this is all moot.  We don't know how it's going to play out.

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agreed.  Boling is the Plan B to me.  Westerman or Redmond steps in at LG.  Definitely not ideal but better than playing Ced.  Of course, Glenn could stay healthy and this is all moot.  We don't know how it's going to play out.

Yeah hopefully he is fine and can still play.  Lingering foot injuries on these huge dancing-bear type athletes are sketchy.  

Also, who is going to play RT?  Fisher? He didn't look Ogbuehi bad but he wasn't exactly impressive, either. 

On 7/5/2018 at 6:34 PM, T-Dub said:

We've got too much riding on one fragile player for me to be that optimistic. 

I thought they were referring to Bill Price and his injury. They are pushing him too fast, trying to get him on the field. I hope it doesn’t backfire and Price goes on season ending injury where he is only seen when he picks up his weekly million dollar paycheck.

20 minutes ago, Rick said:

I thought they were referring to Bill Price and his injury. They are pushing him too fast, trying to get him on the field. I hope it doesn’t backfire and Price goes on season ending injury where he is only seen when he picks up his weekly million dollar paycheck.

If we can give the ghost of Tyler Eifert millions of dollars I don't see why we can't risk a few more on Price.

22 hours ago, Rick said:

Rick, you're going to have to let this go at some point and just watch the games with the rest of us and see what happens. Price has been cleared for full contact, his injury is healed.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Rick, you're going to have to let this go at some point and just watch the games with the rest of us and see what happens. Price has been cleared for full contact, his injury is healed.

Wasn't he boycotting the NFL?

I have been a Bengals fan before a lot of you were born. I have read, heard, and discussed/argued the topics here for decades. THEY DON’T CHANGE! Only the fans, players, coaches, and Brown leadership have changed. It’s the same old - “Wait Until Next Year!” 

I have seen too many SILLY holding calls, fumbles, missed close field goals/extra points, letting the clock run out, in the game/on the field temper tantrums, stupid hits of opposing players,  etc. that caused us: to lose games, lose divisional championships, AND lose TWO SUPER BOWLS.

I am calling Bill (I will NOT call him Billy!) Price’s future holding calls out that will put a “headlights in a deer” Andy Dalton in third and long. I will also call Mike Brown out for agreeing to allowing this OSU selection. We could have drafted the number one center, but no, that would make too much sense! Furthermore, the number one center, number one center, let me repeat that - the number one ranked center in the draft may end up being a guard! Unbelievable. 

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Wasn't he boycotting the NFL?

I said I would boycott the NFL if the Bengals took a knee in 2017. I will boycott the NFL in 2018 if the Bengals stay inside the locker room during the national anthem. 

Archived