Storytime with T.J. Houshmandzadeh about the early years with the Bengals

I want to hear more stories like this. I remember one of the crap qb’s - maybe Scott Mitchell - talking about how brat would install new plays on game day (before the game) that they hadn’t run in practice all week.

2 hours ago, Cat said:

I want to hear more stories like this. I remember one of the crap qb’s - maybe Scott Mitchell - talking about how brat would install new plays on game day (before the game) that they hadn’t run in practice all week.

every-time-i-hear-the-word-inconceivable

11 hours ago, Cat said:

That was so the spies Pittsburgh had in our locker room couldn't plan for them.  Got us an extra 2 wins in 2001.

15 hours ago, Cat said:

I remember those years... I'm surprised there was even a play called. I thought they just went to the huddle and said "Get Open."

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I remember those years... I'm surprised there was even a play called. I thought they just went to the huddle and said "Get Open."

Run as fast as you can to the first woodchuck hole. Turn around and the ball will be there.

27 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

17 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Run as fast as you can to the first woodchuck hole. Turn around and the ball will be there.

And Pudgy Alexander's brilliant "Cat Blocking" schemes.  "I get dis cat here, you get dat cat deer" line calls.

18 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

OK, we get it, we sucked back then.   Still like to here about these stories...

I think the point is that we had talent, every NFL team does.  QB is typically a deal breaker when you are talking about post season runs.  Our team didn't go 2-14 in 2002 because we lacked talent, it did so because the organization was being run like a mid tier division III college program. 

41 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I think the point is that we had talent, every NFL team does.  QB is typically a deal breaker when you are talking about post season runs.  Our team didn't go 2-14 in 2002 because we lacked talent, it did so because the organization was being run like a mid tier division III college program. 

yep

Like... Where do you even get 80 used jock straps? Same place we got our practice bubble? The High School program down the street? Really, just think about that... You're an NFL player being bused to a High School practice facility - and their program is run better.

I still remember Carson complaining about the black mold growing around the Bengals practice facility. So Marvin wasn't able to change everything.

Remember this the next time you hear about them rolling over another $15 Mil in cap room. The next time Hobson lies to you about having no money for free agency because we have to keep $10 Mil on hand for in season injuries. We go into every season with one hand tied behind our back.

12 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Like... Where do you even get 80 used jock straps? Same place we got our practice bubble? The High School program down the street? Really, just think about that... You're an NFL player being bused to a High School practice facility - and their program is run better.

I still remember Carson complaining about the black mold growing around the Bengals practice facility. So Marvin wasn't able to change everything.

Remember this the next time you hear about them rolling over another $15 Mil in cap room. The next time Hobson lies to you about having no money for free agency because we have to keep $10 Mil on hand for in season injuries. We go into every season with one hand tied behind our back.

Yeah, I can't disagree. Your last sentence is spot on.

Bob Trumpy's biography, "Trump", out of print for decades and is an encyclopedia of great stories about the first years of the Cincinnati Bengals.  WELL worth a few bucks.  My original, borrowed from a junior high library and never returned, is long gone but I may invest in another now that I am thinking about it.

Not sure, but there may be a more recent book out with the same title, "Trump" but make sure you get the original.

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-years-Bengals-Bob-Trumpy/dp/0898650194/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531322946&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords="Bob+Trumpy+Trump"

21 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Bob Trumpy's biography, "Trump", out of print for decades

Agent: I have a great name for the book... "Trump"!

Trumpy: "Trump? Sounds like tramp..."

Agent: "No like bridge! Really fantastic!"

Trumpy: "Yeah, sounds great. As long as people won't think the book is about something cheap and nasty...."

Agent: "Noooo, this is as classy as a solid gold toilet."

Archived