Hobson: New Coaches Overview for 2018

New Coaches Overview for 2018

The 2018 season will feature several new coaches on the Bengals sideline. The seven new coaches include first-year defensive coordinator Teryl Austin and first full-year offensive coordinator Bill Lazor.

18-Headshot-Austin_Teryl

Teryl Austin, Defensive Coordinator

A respected coaching veteran with a bright defensive mind, Teryl Austin comes to Cincinnati in 2018 after four seasons (2014-17) as Detroit’s defensive coordinator. Over that four-year stretch, Austin’s defensive units ranked in the top 10 among all NFL teams in total yards per game (10th; 340.3), rushing yards per game (eighth; 100.3), and number of games in which opponents were held to 20 points or less (tied for sixth; 34). In 2014, Austin’s first season in Detroit, the Lions finished second in total defense (300.9 yards per game) and first in rush defense (69.3).

In Cincinnati, Austin inherits a defense with key components already in place, including DT Geno Atkins, DE Carlos Dunlap, LB Vontaze Burfict and CB William Jackson. That defense also received an infusion of young talent in April’s draft, including S Jessie Bates (second round), DE Sam Hubbard (third) and LB Malik Jefferson (third).

“The first thing you do when you come in is, you look at how they call things, how they do things, and what’s most comfortable for the players. Because, it’s more about them than it is about us. It’s easy for us to learn, but if you have (players) that have been in (a system), we try to keep things as similar as possible terminology-wise, because that makes coaches and players more comfortable. There will be some changes in terms of how we call a few things, but it won’t be an overhaul.” --Austin

18-Headshot-Lazor_Bill

Bill Lazor, Offensive Coordinator

Bill Lazor moved into the Bengals’ offensive coordinator role during the 2017 season, but by all intents and purposes he opens ’18 in a ‘new’ role. Now with a full offseason as coordinator under his belt, Lazor’s offensive philosophy is in place, and this year he will call plays from his own system.

Cincinnati’s offense showed immediate improvement last season when Lazor took the reigns following a Week 2 loss to Houston. A wave of injuries to key contributors, however, ultimately took its toll on the offense, but the season ended on positive note with solid offensive performances in wins over Detroit and Baltimore. This season, Lazor’s offense will feature a new-look line that includes OT Cordy Glenn, who was acquired in a March trade with Buffalo, and C Billy Price, the Bengals’ first-round pick out of Ohio State. He’ll also have at his disposal the likes of QB Andy Dalton, WR A.J. Green, HB Giovani Bernard and TE Tyler Eifert, along with emerging young players like HB Joe Mixon and WR John Ross.

“Certainly there are things I would’ve done differently (last season) and that we would’ve liked to do better. But I think we’re in a position where we can go forward and start from the beginning in a way that we think takes full advantage of the talent that we have. And I think there is talent here — that’s why I was excited when I had the opportunity to come back and help and join the staff, and stay full-time.” --Lazor

18-Headshot-Bicknell_Bob

Bob Bicknell, Wide Receivers

Bob Bicknell has NFL coaching experience with San Francisco (2016), Philadelphia (’13-15), Buffalo (’10-12) and Kansas City (’07-09). Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor has experience working with Bicknell from their time together in Philadelphia under head coach Chip Kelly. Bicknell inherits a receiving corps that includes seven-time Pro Bowler A.J. Green, along with talented and emerging players in Tyler Boyd, John Ross and Josh Malone.

18-Headshot-Jones_Daronte

Daronte Jones, Secondary/Cornerbacks

Daronte Jones broke into the NFL with the Miami Dolphins, where he coached from 2016-17. Prior to that, he was with the CFL’s Montreal Allouettes (2011), and in the college ranks at Wisconsin (’15), Hawaii (’12-14) and UCLA (’10). Jones inherits a Bengals cornerbacks group that includes Dre Kirkpatrick, Darqueze Dennard and William Jackson.

18-Headshot-Pollack_Frank

Frank Pollack, Offensive Line

Frank Pollack joins the Bengals after five seasons (2013-17) with Dallas, where he coached one of the top offensive lines in football. He also has coaching experience with Oakland (2012) and Houston (’07-11), as well as playing experience with San Francisco (1990-97). Pollack inherits a revamped Bengals offensive line that includes OT Cordy Glenn, rookie C Billy Price and veteran G Clint Boling.

18-Headshot-Raich_Matt

Matt Raich, Defensive Assistant/Assistant Defensive Line

Matt Raich follows defensive coordinator Teryl Austin to Cincinnati after four seasons (2014-17) in Detroit. He also has NFL coaching experience with Arizona (2007-12) and Pittsburgh (’03-06). Raich will work with a deep defensive line group that includes Pro Bowlers Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap, as well as emerging young players in DE Jordan Willis, DT Ryan Glasgow and rookie DE Sam Hubbard.

18-Headshot-Van Pelt_Alex

Alex Van Pelt, Quarterbacks

Alex Van Pelt joins Cincinnati after spending six seasons (2012-17) in Green Bay, where he coached All-Pro QB Aaron Rodgers. He also has NFL coaching experience with Tampa Bay (2010-11) and Buffalo (’06-09), and he also played for Buffalo from 1995-03. Van Pelt inherits veteran Andy Dalton as his starting QB.

https://www.bengals.com/news/new-coaches-overview-for-2018

Annoying to see Hobknob listed Lazor as a new coach.  Surprised he didn't try to claim Marvin was also new because he got a new contract.  

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing what Austin and Pollack will do with their respective units.  I was never much of a fan of Guenther.  The defense slipped badly last year on 3rd down and struggled to force turnovers.  Alexander was a problem for years and it finally caught up with him.  The situation is right for both replacements to step in and get results.

“The first thing you do when you come in is, you look at how they call things, how they do things, and what’s most comfortable for the players. Because, it’s more about them than it is about us. It’s easy for us to learn, but if you have (players) that have been in (a system), we try to keep things as similar as possible terminology-wise, because that makes coaches and players more comfortable. There will be some changes in terms of how we call a few things, but it won’t be an overhaul.” --Austin

"Up is now down.. because I said so!" - Lazor

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Annoying to see Hobknob listed Lazor as a new coach.  Surprised he didn't try to claim Marvin was also new because he got a new contract.  

Baghdad Hob would tell you we were undefeated last season if you take away all the losses.

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing what Austin and Pollack will do with their respective units.  I was never much of a fan of Guenther.  The defense slipped badly last year on 3rd down and struggled to force turnovers.  Alexander was a problem for years and it finally caught up with him.  The situation is right for both replacements to step in and get results.

He may not technically be new, but the offense will be.  He had to run the offensive scheme that Zamp developed last season.  This season he can install an offense of his own creation. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

He may not technically be new, but the offense will be.  He had to run the offensive scheme that Zamp developed last season.  This season he can install an offense of his own creation. 

Not only is he not new to the staff, he's not new as coordinator either. I will agree that the offense will see changes.  However, Lazor already started that last year by adding RPO plays as a staple of the offense.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Not only is he not new to the staff, he's not new as coordinator either. I will agree that the offense will see changes.  However, Lazor already started that last year by adding RPO plays as a staple of the offense.

They have been running RPOs for a few years.

20 hours ago, Jason said:

They have been running RPOs for a few years.

Yes they have, but it wasn't until Lazor took over that RPOs became a primary play for the offense.  It's no coincidence that PFF said the Bengals ran the 4th highest percentage of RPOs in the league last year.  I fully expect that to continue with Lazor returning.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Yes they have, but it wasn't until Lazor took over that RPOs became a primary play for the offense.  It's no coincidence that PFF said the Bengals ran the 4th highest percentage of RPOs in the league last year.  I fully expect that to continue with Lazor returning.

Or, they were good at it.  A couple years ago I think Dalton lead the league in passing yards on RPO plays?  Something along those lines.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:03 PM, kennethmw said:

And you would say they were winless if they took away the games they led at the end.

How many times have you seen me shoot down that "quality win" noise?

I'm glad they restocked the coaches.  It's a lot of turnover for a team that's looked disorganized at the best of times.  It's reasonable to think at least one of the new guys isn't going to be a fit here. I hope they're able to keep cycling through them just like they do new players. The exceptional ones will take on new responsibilities.  Pianoman was the last of those self-proclaimed geniuses from the Bad Old Days so I'm thrilled to finally be rid of him.  If our OL comes out busting heads I'll dance a jig.  Not sold on our DC, the Lions defense were undisciplined & that's something else we've seen here.  IDK who plays the Bad Cop in this organization, or more how anyone can impose discipline & be taken seriously when the players know they can suck up to Ol' Musty if Marvin or whoever gives them an owie in the fee-fees.   Can't stand that soft-serve, tripping over our own feet & yelling at our shoes stuff.  

So I think they could do great things, but there are changes to be made beyond new nameplates in the building that I want to see along with that.

Archived