Bengals to Honor 1988 Super Bowl Team at Home Opener

Bengals to Honor 1988 Super Bowl Team at Home Opener

The Bengals will honor the 1988 Super Bowl team’s 30th anniversary with a special celebration at the home opener against the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday, Sept. 13. The game-long celebration will include highlights from the 1988 season, video messages and a halftime ceremony featuring the team. The Thursday Night Football game kicks off at 8:20 p.m. and will be nationally televised on NFL Network.

“We look forward to visiting with the players from the 1988 Super Bowl team,” said Bengals President Mike Brown. “That was a very exciting season and we had a great run. The players on that team will always be special to our fans and me.”

Fans will have the opportunity to meet members of the team and get autographs in the Jungle Zone from 6-7 p.m.

Fifth Third Bank will make the home opener a Fifth Third better® with 10,000 fans receiving an exclusive Bengals hat as they enter the gates, while supplies last.

Fans can purchase tickets by calling the Bengals Ticket Hotline at (513) 621-8383, online at Bengals.com or by visiting the Paul Brown Stadium ticket office. The Bengals Ticket Hotline and ticket office hours are from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Tickets may be purchased 24/7 through Bengals.com. Fans can call the Bengals Ticket Hotline or chat with a ticket representative online if they have any questions.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-to-honor-1988-super-bowl-team-at-home-opener

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Seriously?  That was a great team.  A team that accomplished a lot. 

You know, that Ricky Bobby shit is a joke, right?

word!!!

that team was not only a great team... they should've won that fucking game...   :(

I'll be there on that Thursday night....  WhoDey!!!! 

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Show of hands who was in Riverfront Stadium on Opening Day 1988--and remember the opponent/outcome. 

(Waves)

I was in an M1A1 tank defending West Germany from the Communist horde.  Well, I was probably in a bar in West Germany to be honest but no, not at game. 

41 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Grafenwohr!!!!

That is where I was stationed, Rose Barracks, Vilseck West Germany.  Open up the back gate to our motorpool, take one step and you were in Graf. Used to go to sleep with the lullaby of 155mm artillery and 120mm main gun rounds almost every night.

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

That is where I was stationed, Rose Barracks, Vilseck West Germany.  Open up the back gate to our motorpool, take one step and you were in Graf. Used to go to sleep with the lullaby of 155mm artillery and 120mm main gun rounds almost every night.

I was stationed at Fliegerhorst Kaserne near Hanau. We went to Graf a few times. My MOS (13F) trained at Kaiserslautern mostly, but as a unit (F Btry, 333rd FA, 3rd AD), we would go to Graf, always stayed in tent city. You and I were there at mostly the same time.

My favorite memory of Graf was me and a couple buddies grabbing a 12 pack of beer and a loud boombox blasting Ozzy at sunset and sitting on a small ridge overlooking the tank range which was near where we were staying and watching them do their runs in their lanes for half the night. When you're close enough to those things as a non-tanker, watching them unleash on targets we couldn't even see with their .50 cal and 120mm guns was impressive (and LOUD).

Funny thing is is despite all our training, our Reforger/Caravan Guard exercises, etc...if the Russians really had invaded through the Fulda Gap, most of us would be dead!

ETA: I watched the 1988 superbowl in a large auditorium in Fort Knox towards the end of my basic training with a bunch of other privates on a tiny, grainy little TV. That was the first time I'd ever watched the Bengals and I was actually rooting against them as I was a diehard NFC fan (Redskins) at the time. It wasn't until 1993 when I moved out to this area that I adopted the Bengals as my team.

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

same....except I had an 84 silver chevette.. 

Oh man, you were really living the dream!!!   Gawd those things were awful...had one as a loaner car while GM was trying to figure out what was wrong with my '86 Camaro IROC-Z...but Chevettes weren't even the worst cars out there at the time.  Good times.

USN, SF2, Bung, etc, etc:  Thank you for your service!!!  Puts things in perspective...football is just a silly game.

Ditto to the grunts.

And I had you back seat car rockers beat by 15 years--mine was a '70 Grand LeMans. 

So I guess only Numbers, Amish and I were there? Anyhow, they played the Phoenix (not Arizona) Cardinals. They won 21-14 on a goal line sack of the Cardinals QB as time ran out. They never looked back.

You're welcome. 

12 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Oh man, you were really living the dream!!!   Gawd those things were awful...had one as a loaner car while GM was trying to figure out what was wrong with my '86 Camaro IROC-Z...but Chevettes weren't even the worst cars out there at the time.  Good times.

USN, SF2, Bung, etc, etc:  Thank you for your service!!!  Puts things in perspective...football is just a silly game.

Nah. Thanks and all, but football is an extremely powerful metaphor for war, which is why we like it.

Archived