Lafell released

Wow, that escalated quickly.  I guess it's a nice vet courtesy to release early so he can latch on somewhere else.

I take it as a big positive that the coaching staff has enough confidence in the young receivers, i.e. the preseason hype has some merit.

23 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Good move.  No point keeping a vet around that isn't OK with his role.   More reps for the kids, too. 

I guess we know who the next Patriots receiver is going to be.

1 minute ago, schotzee said:

Kind of doubtful don't you think? He already had one stint there.

All the more reason to bring him back.  He left because he wanted more money, not because he couldn't play.  They need another receiver. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I guess he would rather #4 or #5 in New England?  Pfft.

How do you figure?  Brandin Cooks and Amendola are gone.  They were the top 2 WRs from last year not counting Gronk who is a TE.  One replacement was supposed to be Jordan Matthews.  He is out until week 9.  Edelman is out the first 4 games due to PEDs and hasn't played a game since the 2016 Superbowl.  Malcom Mitchell is stlll recovering from a knee injury.  The rest of the squad is nobodies.  They just brought in Eric Decker for a tryout.   Lafell would be the #1 receiver opening day if you don't include Gronk.

Like oldschooler's first posted tweet says, LaFell was way better than many of you guys give him credit for. There were points in some games last year where it was "The Brandon LaFell Show, Featuring Andy Dalton". Dude is pretty good, never injured and is steady. He'll latch on somewhere for sure.

I like the move not because the young WR's are good in helmets and underwear, but because it's risky, and the Bengals are traditionally risk averse.

7 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Like oldschooler's first posted tweet says, LaFell was way better than many of you guys give him credit for. There were points in some games last year where it was "The Brandon LaFell Show, Featuring Andy Dalton". Dude is pretty good, never injured and is steady. He'll latch on somewhere for sure.

I like the move not because the young WR's are good in helmets and underwear, but because it's risky, and the Bengals are traditionally risk averse.

Interesting take, I respect LaFell but after seeing Tate, Boyd, and Ross I can understand it. I would have liked to see kept on the roster early into the season and traded for a draft pick or player, something that could help the team in the future. 

It's better for LaFell to be cut now while it's relatively early in TC so that he can latch on somewhere else, thankfully the Bengals have an abundance of talent at his position. 

He will definitely catch on somewhere else.

Like someone mentioned, he saw the writing on the wall.

Especially when Marvin stated that the young guys were making it tough for him, or something to that nature.

Lafell is a pro's pro.

He will be just fine

One more thing to consider, and it’s a peripheral thought: getting rid of a decent veteran, with a good locker room presence,  in deference to younger players on the roster runs contrary to Marvin Lewis’ historical M.O.

Another indication the winds have shifted?

put my money on Bills. He can link up with AJ and the familiarity will benefit both.

"Wide receiver is widely seen as the Bills' No. 1 problem area, largely because no one can say with any certainty whether the roster does, in fact, have a legitimate No. 1 target ... or Nos. 2 or 3, for that matter. Kelvin Benjamin, acquired from Carolina last season for a third-round draft pick, is occupying the top spot mainly by default." Bills Position Review: Wide Receiver

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Interesting take, I respect LaFell but after seeing Tate, Boyd, and Ross I can understand it. I would have liked to see kept on the roster early into the season and traded for a draft pick or player, something that could help the team in the future. 

It's better for LaFell to be cut now while it's relatively early in TC so that he can latch on somewhere else, thankfully the Bengals have an abundance of talent at his position. 

And that's why it's a risky move; outside of Green (and maybe Boyd), our WR talent is unproven on Sundays.

This release does show a different mindset in the coaching staff. Instead of relying on the vets (regardless of talent level), they are starting to lean on the younger players and force them to grow.  The defense did that last year (at times you could see 5 or 6 rookies or second year players on the field) maybe this year is the offense's turn to lean on the young players.

20 minutes ago, cincity said:

This release does show a different mindset in the coaching staff. Instead of relying on the vets (regardless of talent level), they are starting to lean on the younger players and force them to grow.  The defense did that last year (at times you could see 5 or 6 rookies or second year players on the field) maybe this year is the offense's turn to lean on the young players.

"And that's a good thing"

**claps and giggles**

Archived