Lafell released

2 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

One more thing to consider, and it’s a peripheral thought: getting rid of a decent veteran, with a good locker room presence,  in deference to younger players on the roster runs contrary to Marvin Lewis’ historical M.O.

Another indication the winds have shifted?

If the guy and his agent have been asking to get out for some time, do you really think he would be a good locker room presence?  When LaFell was in Carolina he was NOT known as a good locker room presence. 

21 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If the guy and his agent have been asking to get out for some time, do you really think he would be a good locker room presence?  When LaFell was in Carolina he was NOT known as a good locker room presence. 

It’s just what I have heard about him. 

4 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

One more thing to consider, and it’s a peripheral thought: getting rid of a decent veteran, with a good locker room presence,  in deference to younger players on the roster runs contrary to Marvin Lewis’ historical M.O.

Another indication the winds have shifted?

Yes.  This is a move "Old Marvin" would not have made.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I've heard different stories on that.  The team is denying it according to Kat Terrell.

5 hours ago, fluhartz said:

didn't you guys read this????

Wasn't that referencing his year of pain..." from last season or year? 

4 hours ago, schotzee said:

Hey, lets not forget about Josh Malone. He averaged 10.5 ypc last year.

Yeah on SIX whole catches!

Anyway, Malone along with Ross are being seen as "standouts" in early camp reports from the coaches and the media, and we can at least trust most of the coaches ability to evaluate talent...well, except for the offensive line coach....wait, we took care of that!

I think ultimately it's a combination of early camp/underwear optimism (those slogans sure are catchy! "Seize the Dey", "Keep shoveling" and "Keep chopping wood". Somebody would make a mint Putting those on t-shirts!), genuine excitement over the young guys, etc,

Hell, I am excited too! Even if the "h" key is only working intermittently on my keyboard. I do think that the biggest concerns coming into camp were not related to the WR group, heck, the coaches already knew the vast majority of them were young and mostly raw even with Green and LaFell on the roster. LaFell is only one person, so he was expendable (and expensive, and in a position group that was glutted) and so they took a chance on youth. It's pretty remarkable given the coaches well documented tendencies to favor veteran players with lesser physical talent over rookies, unless the rooks are very high draft choices that are more "pro-ready" in the conservative eyes of our coaching staff (Mike Brown could probably play some tight end for us if Eifert gets injured again. We'd have a playmaker that could easily transition from owner to player and back again no problem. Plus it'd save money). 

Hmmmm...money...Younger players ARE cheaper than older vets tho...hmmmmm...

Cutting Lafell is a salary dump if nothing else.  The savings can be put towards Dunlap's extension.  It also keeps Lafell from taking snaps from Boyd/Ross/Malone.  They have to be pleased with the progress of the younger WR to make this move.  AJ is the lone veteran on the roster now.

32 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cutting Lafell is a salary dump if nothing else.  The savings can be put towards Dunlap's extension.  It also keeps Lafell from taking snaps from Boyd/Ross/Malone.  They have to be pleased with the progress of the younger WR to make this move.  AJ is the lone veteran on the roster now.

I read somewhere that there was $0 dead money in releasing LaFell.  Mike Brown hates dead money.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Ross, of course.  Either because of the dead money cap hit or his inspirational story;  your choice.

Maybe Eifert and Utecht can release an album together of acoustic Christian songs called "Jesus, Concussions and Back Injuries".

On 8/4/2018 at 6:15 AM, T-Dub said:

Ross, of course.  Either because of the dead money cap hit or his inspirational story;  your choice.

Derp.  Was thinking Ross when I started the post and then by the time I got to the sixth man I couldn't think of anyone but core.  Ross instead of core.

Just to put things in perspective,

If you take out AJ Green,  the remaining Wide Receivers at camp have the following combined statistics:

8 total years of NFL receiving experience

117 lifetime receptions (Boyd with 76) 

5 lifetime TDs (Boyd with 3)

In 2017: 

40 receptions in 2017 (Boyd had 22 of them)

4 TDs

In 2017:

Lafell had 52 receptions with 3 TDs

Lifetime 394 receptions and 29 TDs. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Just to put things in perspective,

If you take out AJ Green,  the remaining Wide Receivers at camp have the following combined statistics:

8 total years of NFL receiving experience

117 lifetime receptions (Boyd with 76) 

5 lifetime TDs (Boyd with 3)

In 2017: 

40 receptions in 2017 (Boyd had 22 of them)

4 TDs

In 2017:

Lafell had 52 receptions with 3 TDs

Lifetime 394 receptions and 29 TDs. 

I don't disagree. And this is what makes the move a pretty risky one for the likes of the conservative-minded Bengals. You're giving up proven production from someone that knows how to play the position for potential, youth and speed. And cheaper salaries! Yay!

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

I don't disagree. And this is what makes the move a pretty risky one for the likes of the conservative-minded Bengals. You're giving up proven production from someone that knows how to play the position for potential, youth and speed. And cheaper salaries! Yay!

Yep, shiny objects verses a proven reliable veteran.  Guy has missed 9 games in 8 years, 2 games in the last 5 years. 

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yep, shiny objects verses a proven reliable veteran.  Guy has missed 9 games in 8 years, 2 games in the last 5 years. 

And his 2016 season is noticeable for his stats as well.

64 receptions, 862yds (13.5 avg), 6 TD's.

If Boyd gives us that this season, I will be silent other than to sing Boyd's praises. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

LaFell is a 30-something WR that even in his best years was average at best.  While the current crop of WR are short on NFL accomplishments, they aren't rookies.  They should know the drill.  The staff should know if they will run their routes correctly and if the QBs can count on them to do what they should do. 

No team is worried about Brandon LaFell.  If Boyd, or one of the other young WR can't step into his role and do just as well or better the Bengals offense isn't going anywhere anyway.  It was a good move.  At some point the young guys have to be given the opportunity to play.  I can see a combination of Boyd and Erikson easily making up for LaFell.  The real wildcard is Ross.  Hope he becomes some kind of effective player.

3 hours ago, kennethmw said:

What's a trip is that some bitch that we never let young guys play, and then bitch when we let a veteran go so young guys can play?

Yeah, thank god we got rid of Whit and Zietler so those young guys could play.   There is a difference between getting rid of meh old players and replacing them with talented rookies and getting rid of reliable vets for unproven players.   LaFell's numbers dropped last year due to our pure dogshit O-Line, not because his skills had deteriorated.   AJ Green's yard per game last year dropped 29 yards from 2016 hitting his career low in that stat.  

Its the same mindset that Baltimore used when they traded Anquan Boldin to San Francisco and replaced him with Marlon Brown.  That worked out so well they had to pick up 35 year old Steve Smith the following year.  I just don't think it is ever a good idea to get rid of decent reliable vets until you KNOW you have their replacement.  The last time this happened we replaced TJ Housh with Laverneous Coles and Andre Caldwell.  That worked so well we had to pick up TO the next year so Carson would have a second receiver to throw to.

Other than Boyd and Green the rest of the guys have proven nothing. Oh and lets not forget Boyd wrecked his car and left the scene last year.  The car was full of empty liquor bottles and vape pens (the good kind)   Charges were dropped (Since his friend took the blame) but that is a big ole red flag.  Driving around fucked up in the early AM is never a good thing. 

Archived