Lafell released

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, thank god we got rid of Whit and Zietler so those young guys could play.   There is a difference between getting rid of meh old players and replacing them with talented rookies and getting rid of reliable vets for unproven players. 

Its the same mindset that Baltimore used when they traded Anquan Boldin to San Francisco and replaced him with Marlon Brown.  That worked out so well they had to pick up 35 year old Steve Smith the following year.  I just don't think it is ever a good idea to get rid of decent reliable vets until you KNOW you have their replacement.  The last time this happened we replaced TJ Housh with Laverneous Coles and Andre Caldwell.  That worked so well we had to pick up TO the next year so Carson would have a second receiver to throw to.

You have a point and so does Ken. You know as well as I do though and I don't have anyone in particular come to mind, but some like to bitch just to hear/read themselves bitch.

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

Whit and Zeitler are not the same as Lafell.

To compare the two situations is kinda laughable.

Sure they are.  A #2 receiver that can run good routes and get 64 catches for 862 yards is a plus for any team.  He was 39th in yards which is a decent number for your #2 receiver with Andy Dalton throwing him the ball.   BTW, I am NOT the guy that let Whit and Zeitler go.  They were BOTH allowed to leave because the EXPERTS though they had their replacements on the team.  They were horribly wrong.  There is no reason to trust the decision making with the Bengals so I don't like this move.   Yeah, I hope Ross, Boyd and Malone step up and make Lafell the #5 receiver but until they prove they can play an entire season I would have kept Lafell.   

The Patriots make the playoffs every year with Brandon Lafell type receivers who can play in their system AND RUN GOOD ROUTES.  He only left New England for more money.

51 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, thank god we got rid of Whit and Zietler so those young guys could play.   There is a difference between getting rid of meh old players and replacing them with talented rookies and getting rid of reliable vets for unproven players.   LaFell's numbers dropped last year due to our pure dogshit O-Line, not because his skills had deteriorated.   AJ Green's yard per game last year dropped 29 yards from 2016 hitting his career low in that stat.  

Its the same mindset that Baltimore used when they traded Anquan Boldin to San Francisco and replaced him with Marlon Brown.  That worked out so well they had to pick up 35 year old Steve Smith the following year.  I just don't think it is ever a good idea to get rid of decent reliable vets until you KNOW you have their replacement.  The last time this happened we replaced TJ Housh with Laverneous Coles and Andre Caldwell.  That worked so well we had to pick up TO the next year so Carson would have a second receiver to throw to.

Other than Boyd and Green the rest of the guys have proven nothing. Oh and lets not forget Boyd wrecked his car and left the scene last year.  The car was full of empty liquor bottles and vape pens (the good kind)   Charges were dropped (Since his friend took the blame) but that is a big ole red flag.  Driving around fucked up in the early AM is never a good thing. 

Comparing high end players to Brandon LaFell is inappropriate.  Whitworth was a Pro-Bowler.  So was TJ, who, by the way, did a whole lot of nothing after leaving town.  Zeitler was a high end player as well.  WR that get around 500-600 yards per year as a #2 are a dime a dozen.  Throw in the fact that LaFell is a typical diva type WR who thinks he is a whole lot better than he is, and that he had been begging to get out and how do do anything but let him go?  LaFell won't be missed. 

Yeah, Boyd probably f'ed up, but what NFL roster doesn't have a few guys who apparently drink and smoke?  You have a first rounder in Ross and a few other younger, yet not rookie, WRs ready for their chance.  One of them will step up. 

BTW...look at all those teams jumping to sign LaFell.  No way Brady wants him back after all the drops he had there.

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Sure they are.  A #2 receiver that can run good routes and get 64 catches for 862 yards is a plus for any team.  He was 39th in yards which is a decent number for your #2 receiver with Andy Dalton throwing him the ball.   BTW, I am NOT the guy that let Whit and Zeitler go.  They were BOTH allowed to leave because the EXPERTS though they had their replacements on the team.  They were horribly wrong.  There is no reason to trust the decision making with the Bengals so I don't like this move.   Yeah, I hope Ross, Boyd and Malone step up and make Lafell the #5 receiver but until they prove they can play an entire season I would have kept Lafell.   

The Patriots make the playoffs every year with Brandon Lafell type receivers who can play in their system AND RUN GOOD ROUTES.  He only left New England for more money.

He also left NE because he dropped damn near everything that came his way his last season. 

If you look at how this whole transaction took place, it should give you hope that our young guys are ready and that's why LaFell was expendable...

LaFell received a workout bonus and a roster bonus (1.25 Mil I believe). We all know that if the Bengals pay out, they plan on keeping that person.

Evidently, whether LaFell and his agent asked to be released or not, our coaches saw enough that they said they do not need to keep him.

So instead of lamenting the choice either way, the fact is that our current coaches said we don't need him and will go with the youth that have shown enough to make them comfortable letting a vet go.

Good luck LaFell, you were steady and reliable for us... and youngsters you damn well be ready to step up, because you ARE the man now.

4 hours ago, schotzee said:

You have a point and so does Ken. You know as well as I do though and I don't have anyone in particular come to mind, but some like to bitch just to hear/read themselves bitch.

You saw who responded!😂😂

Archived