Urban Meyer, anyone?

Just for gits and shingles, since he seems to be on the highway to unemployment,

should we bring him in in some capacity?  Tie him up with an eye on the future?

Or are, like many Ohio State alumni, are his arms too short?

Honestly not that familiar with the situation or how he could fit here but whatta ya' think, Vern?

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Show me a high end college coach who translates to the pro game. 

In college the HC is the king.  In the NFL the players are the kings.  It would be a dumb move, but Brown is just the guy to try it.

Do you mean the Browns? They'd probably boot Hue within seconds if Urban is available.

This whole Urban Meyer situation is bull shit. So the battered wife tells Urban's wife that she's battered and supposedly tells Urban. Urban then asks the abuser about it and he denies the abuse. The battered doesn't report it and now Urban is the villain? WTF is going on here?

7 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

This whole Urban Meyer situation is bull shit. So the battered wife tells Urban's wife that she's battered and supposedly tells Urban. Urban then asks the abuser about it and he denies the abuse. The battered doesn't report it and now Urban is the villain? WTF is going on here?

From my mind to your keyboard.

Thanks for typing all of that for me. 

:fistpump:

30 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

You are aware she reported this to the police and the evidence was so overwhelming he had a restraining order issued against him?  This is all public record and there were many incidents reported to the police.  The fact she didn't press charges should surprise nobody.  He was making good money and if she was trying to work it out, charging him would end his college coaching career.  At some point she finally had enough.   Again,  these are public records.  Nine times the Powell Ohio police were called to their home.  Meyer has always been a dirty coach, not sure why any of this is a shock.  Urban asked him about the first incident of abuse in 2009 while at Florida, not these other NINE incidents every coach's wife knew about including Shelly Meyer.

Why Meyer would risk his coaching career for a receivers coach is a better question.  Yeah, I knew, Earle Bruce's grandson.  LOL.  This guy must have some serious dirt on Meyer.  This should be fun.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/records_show_history_of_domest.html

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You are aware she reported this to the police and the evidence was so overwhelming he had a restraining order issued against him?  This is all public record and there were many incidents reported to the police.  The fact she didn't press charges should surprise nobody.  He was making good money and if she was trying to work it out, charging him would end his college coaching career.  At some point she finally had enough.   Again,  these are public records.  Nine times the Powell Ohio police were called to their home.  Meyer has always been a dirty coach, not sure why any of this is a shock.  Urban asked him about the first incident of abuse in 2009 while at Florida, not these other NINE incidents every coach's wife knew about including Shelly Meyer.

Why Meyer would risk his coaching career for a receivers coach is a better question.  Yeah, I knew, Earle Bruce's grandson.  LOL.  This guy must have some serious dirt on Meyer.  This should be fun.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/records_show_history_of_domest.html

So how does that make Urban the "bad guy" or "villain" here?

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

So how does that make Urban the "bad guy" or "villain" here?

I didn't say he was a villain, just that he most likely lied Monday at the Big Ten media day when questioned about it and as Jim Tressel will tell you, the cover up is what will get you.  With the #metoo movement in full swing, this was something he had to take care of before it got to this point.  We live in different times. The fact is neither Tressel or Meyer are bad guys but covering up for bad actors is not going to fly in today's Gotcha era of journalism.

In any case, Meyer would have to throw his wife Shelly (An Ohio State employee in the school of Nursing BTW)  totally under the bus for telling Smith's wife she would tell her husband about the abuse.  Also keep in mind Shelly Meyer told Urban about the alleged initial abuse in 2009 while they were at Florida.  Are we to believe she decided NOT to say anything this time?  

The University can't keep him because there would be a horde of reporters all over the campus smelling blood in the water.  Welcome to 2018.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Show me a high end college coach who translates to the pro game. 

In college the HC is the king.  In the NFL the players are the kings.  It would be a dumb move, but Brown is just the guy to try it.

Pete Carroll?

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I didn't say he was a villain, just that he most likely lied Monday at the Big Ten media day when questioned about it and as Jim Tressel will tell you, the cover up is what will get you.  With the #metoo movement in full swing, this was something he had to take care of before it got to this point.  We live in different times. The fact is neither Tressel or Meyer are bad guys but covering up for bad actors is not going to fly in today's Gotcha era of journalism.

In any case, Meyer would have to throw his wife Shelly (An Ohio State employee in the school of Nursing BTW)  totally under the bus for telling Smith's wife she would tell her husband about the abuse.  Also keep in mind Shelly Meyer told Urban about the alleged initial abuse in 2009 while they were at Florida.  Are we to believe she decided NOT to say anything this time?  

The University can't keep him because there would be a horde of reporters all over the campus smelling blood in the water.  Welcome to 2018.

The part that I’m missing is where it is the job of the head coach or his wife to act as law enforcement, judge, or jury. 

Accepting the premise that, in fact, those aren’t their hats to wear, I’m not sure I see where a “cover up” occurred. It still needs to be absolutely proven that Shelly told Urban. Any, beyond that, there’s inherent risk in taking the suppositions of one party and using it, absolutely, against another.

Brass tacks: is Urban likely an asshole because he had, at least, some cursory awareness and apparently decided against any personal involvement? Yeah. Did he break any laws or rules in doing so? I’m not entirely sure, but it looks to me like that’s not likely.

1 minute ago, schotzee said:

Yeah it happens sometimes. Jimmy Johnson, Bobby Ross and Jim Harbaugh were all relatively successful as well.

Yeah. Something about personality, beyond X’s and O’s, worked for those guys. I suspect Meyer might have the same situation going for him.

FWIW, I think OSU will do everything possible not to fire Urban Meyer.  He's the second best coach in college football and still in his prime.  In placing him on leave, they bought time for an investigation and more likely, for the situation to calm down.  The next week or so will be rough and the mob wants his head.  They will let the investigation proceed and eventually the media will move on to another story.  After that point, if no additional evidence comes out, OSU can credibly say that they have no direct evidence against Meyer.  He might get a fine and suspension as a token penalty, but he keeps his job.  

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

The part that I’m missing is where it is the job of the head coach or his wife to act as law enforcement, judge, or jury. 

Accepting the premise that, in fact, those aren’t their hats to wear, I’m not sure I see where a “cover up” occurred. It still needs to be absolutely proven that Shelly told Urban. Any, beyond that, there’s inherent risk in taking the suppositions of one party and using it, absolutely, against another.

Brass tacks: is Urban likely an asshole because he had, at least, some cursory awareness and apparently decided against any personal involvement? Yeah. Did he break any laws or rules in doing so? I’m not entirely sure, but it looks to me like that’s not likely.

It isnt the head coach's job to act as law enforcement.  That said here is a transcript of an exchange between Shelly Urban and Courtney Smith.  Plenty of coaches have been fired for far less to include partying with perfectly legal aged Coeds at bars.  Plenty of people get fired every year for turning a blind eye to bad behavior by subordinates.   In my business, managers and firms can get hit with huge fines for failure to supervise.   Meyer gets paid $7 mil a year to know what is going on with the program.  The Joe Paterno, "Everybody knew but me" defense is not going to fly.  

Shelley: “I am with you! A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don’t blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me”

Courtney: “Restraining orders don’t do anything in Ohio-I tried to get protection order which is what started this whole investigation. And that should go through soon finally. It’s hard bc you have to prove immediate danger. Legal system is tough. Basically you have to prove he will kill u to get protective order”

Shelley: “Geesh! Even w the pics? Didn’t law enforcement come to your place ever??”

2 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah. Something about personality, beyond X’s and O’s, worked for those guys. I suspect Meyer might have the same situation going for him.

You guys are right, there are some examples.  Plenty of bad examples, too.  I would let someone else take that risk.

I really can't see how you absolve Meyer in this instance.  That's a lot of evidence that this guy is a total woman beater.  That's disgusting.  I'm not an OSU fan, but usually not a hater either.  Depends on the players and coach for me.  I had given Meyer a break for not knowing about some of the bad apples at Florida, but I can't get past this.  If winning is so important that OSU would keep a guy like this as their head coach they deserve my eternal scorn. 

I don't see how Meyer can be absolved either.  His reputation is permanently damaged and there will be no chance of repair for some segment of the public.  That's just the way it goes with the #metoo environment and America's PC culture in general.  I still don't see him being let go unless additional evidence turns up.  As I see it right now, there is no evidence to definitively say what he knew and when.  I know most people don't believe that, but like they say in court, it's all about what you can prove.  That might give OSU enough wiggle room to keep Meyer with a lesser penalty.  

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

This is spot on in my opinion.  I'm conflicted about how far all the #metoo tide has shifted things, especially with prosecution via the media which is overly consumed with headlines and seemingly fanning the flames for ratings, instead of impartial reporting of facts.  There's a balance there somewhere and I think right now it *MAY* have swung a bit too far?  Not a fan of blaming non-villains because they might have known something.  But if Meyer purposely lied and actively/aggressively covered and hushed things up, that's another thing entirely too.  Bad situation all around in 2018 as SF said.

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't see how Meyer can be absolved either.  His reputation is permanently damaged and there will be no chance of repair for some segment of the public.  That's just the way it goes with the #metoo environment and America's PC culture in general.  I still don't see him being let go unless additional evidence turns up.  As I see it right now, there is no evidence to definitively say what he knew and when.  I know most people don't believe that, but like they say in court, it's all about what you can prove.  That might give OSU enough wiggle room to keep Meyer with a lesser penalty.  

I agree with every bit of rationale in this post. The only thing I feel differently about is in regards to political correctness being the primary driver against him. 

Rather, some people are simply going to believe he knew more than he admitted to. If that’s the reality they subscribe to, he’s just, beyond subjectivity, a piece of trash. However, the reality, as mentioned, seems to point to one where it is impossible to prove he knew anything definitively. As long as that buffer isn’t breached, he claims plausible deniability and it seems credible.

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I agree with every bit of rationale in this post. The only thing I feel differently about is in regards to political correctness being the primary driver against him. 

Rather, some people are simply going to believe he knew more than he admitted to. If that’s the reality they subscribe to, he’s just, beyond subjectivity, a piece of trash. However, the reality, as mentioned, seems to point to one where it is impossible to prove he knew anything definitively. As long as that buffer isn’t breached, he claims plausible deniability and it seems credible.

But then it is just as easy to say this:  All of your coach's wives knew and most likely most of your coaches knew as well.  Your wife knew.  If you, the guy we are paying $7 million a year to lead the Ohio State Football program did not know then you simply are not the leader we thought you were.  Great leaders have great subordinates who keep them abreast of what is going on.  If Urban's defense is nobody told him, and it is actually true, then he is not the leader we thought he was. 

The simple explanation is almost always the truth.  Most likely Urban knew exactly what was going on.  He was hoping the two could work things out so he didn't have to fire his friend's (Earle Bruce's) grandson and not only ruin his college coaching career but also create an economic strain to a married couple with children.   He was hoping for the best but when it comes to domestic abuse, there is rarely a good outcome. 

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

The only thing I feel differently about is in regards to political correctness being the primary driver against him. 

I'm honestly curious...

So those of you who are saying that her did nothing wrong or this is just "PC Culture" and the metoo movement... So, you're OK with this? Assuming that Urban Meyer knew that this guy beat his wife, and understanding that if he didn't he must have willfully avoided learning about it, you have no problem keeping a wife beater employed to work with 18-22 year old kids? He's just a victim of PC culture run amok?

If an employee's wife was texting your wife pictures of her being beat to shit by her husband, you'd keep the guy around? You'd just pretend you didn't know? You'd just assume he was an alcoholic and let him continue to mold young men? (Meyer's official line) You honestly don't think there's any problem at all with Meyer refusing to acknowledge the situation?

This isn't some guy in the mailroom... This is an assistant coach who was on "text my wife" standing with Meyer.

Don't forget that this is the guy who protected Arron Hernandez, and his Florida teams were rife with criminals in a town where Gator football is god and players get a slap on the wrist. He bailed on Florida because of his heal... No wait, it was because he could see NCAA sanctions coming.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-17/sports/os-florida-gators-arrests-list-20100915_1_frankie-hammond-second-degree-misdemeanor-charge-misdemeanor-possession

FYI, it's three pages...

Yeah, the dude wins football games. Then say that instead of acting like he's the victim of a culture that just isn't as tolerant of wife beating as they should be.

Archived