What happened to John Ross? Inside his year of pain and self-discovery.

22 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I have a two year old and a new job. 

Can someone please CliffsNotes that shit for me?

Your typical fame & fortune has a price, "nobody is harder on me than me" stuff.  Underlying theme being we are all very bad persons for doubting him or saying mean things about his nonexistent rookie season.

Maybe it's sincere, but y'know...

:1violin:

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Your typical fame & fortune has a price, "nobody is harder on me than me" stuff.  Underlying theme being we are all very bad persons for doubting him or saying mean things about his nonexistent rookie season.

Maybe it's sincere, but y'know...

:1violin:

Bleh.

5 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Good Article for people trying to accomplish something.  If you're trying to be the best, you're gonna get knocked down sometimes, and you will have self doubt.  You either fight through or quit.  Looks like he's a fighter.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Pass.  Unless he or his family had some kind of big issue he's a guy paid a lot of money to work hard and play football.  Sorry it was so hard for him last year.  🙄

This.  I mean, great he learned something about himself and I hope he tears it up this year, but it's not like he sawed off his own arm with a pocketknife after a rock climbing accident or dragged himself on broken legs out of the jungle after a plane crash.  I know plenty of people who get up & go to work every day who have overcome more than being a first round NFL draft pick.  Sorry he had to rehab a relatively minor injury with the best doctors and physical therapy money can buy...  While getting paid millions to do it.   Shit there are probably guys in his own locker room carrying 10x the weight he is and nobody is writing articles about their struggle.  The more I think about it the more he seems like a whiny bitch so I'm gonna just roll my eyes and move on.  Do something on the football field besides fumble & get hurt and I might find time to honestly give a shit.

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

This.  I mean, great he learned something about himself and I hope he tears it up this year, but it's not like he sawed off his own arm with a pocketknife after a rock climbing accident or dragged himself on broken legs out of the jungle after a plane crash.  I know plenty of people who get up & go to work every day who have overcome more than being a first round NFL draft pick.  Sorry he had to rehab a relatively minor injury with the best doctors and physical therapy money can buy...  While getting paid millions to do it.   Shit there are probably guys in his own locker room carrying 10x the weight he is and nobody is writing articles about their struggle.  The more I think about it the more he seems like a whiny bitch so I'm gonna just roll my eyes and move on.  Do something on the football field besides fumble & get hurt and I might find time to honestly give a shit.

Well, you do seem to be an authority on whiny bitches.

Ross comes off a bit like a mental midget who couldn't deal with the expectations.  He more or less admitted he mentally checked out when things went downhill.  Many of us suspected he was more injured than we knew about, which clearly affected his confidence.  There were also other factors in play like having a kid and being prevented from joining the team due to NCAA rules.  I don't give him a pass, but to his credit he came back this year ready to compete and has played well thus far.  I am hoping for the best and that Ross can at least stay healthy.  

32 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Well, you do seem to be an authority on whiny bitches.

:D

C'mon dude.  You're really buying this "nobody knows the trouble I've seen" act from this guy?  Doesn't the timing seem a bit suspect when he's apparently stuck behind a 7th-round pick on the depth chart? You'll have to do better than some half-assed ad hominem nonsense.

3 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Good Article for people trying to accomplish something.  If you're trying to be the best, you're gonna get knocked down sometimes, and you will have self doubt.  You either fight through or quit.  Looks like he's a fighter.

My former stepdaughter was trying to accomplish kicking heroin. She was trying to be her best, but she got knocked down sometimes and man, her vast well of self-pity and doubt seemed endless. My ex-wife and I continually told her "You have to fight! Don't quit!" we said, "Keep shoveling! Keep chopping wood! Seize the day!". 

We seriously were starting to doubt her ourselves and she kicked that shit all on her own, thus proving us wrong that she was a quitter. She's a fighter.

57 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Ross comes off a bit like a mental midget who couldn't deal with the expectations.  He more or less admitted he mentally checked out when things went downhill.  

He's starting to sound like a combination of Jerome Simpson, Peter Warrick and Chad Johnson. Not the sharpest tool in the shed/mentally checked out. He's a smaller guy with a lot of speed that's has been nagged by injuries and likely will be for his career if he takes enough big hits. All the talent in the world, good footwork and leaping ability for a guy his size, but gets disengaged from games when the chips are down.

Fair comparison?

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

:D

C'mon dude.  You're really buying this "nobody knows the trouble I've seen" act from this guy?  Doesn't the timing seem a bit suspect when he's apparently stuck behind a 7th-round pick on the depth chart? You'll have to do better than some half-assed ad hominem nonsense.

Man, I feel for you.  You seem to have become a person with no compassion and no empathy.  Either you have never had goals, or you crashed and never got up.  His story is one I've seen and participated in, and you go through periods of despair when everything seems lost.  Most folks quit, some fight through.  He seems to have determined that he's gonna fight.  I applaud that.

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

Man, I feel for you.  You seem to have become a person with no compassion and no empathy.  Either you have never had goals, or you crashed and never got up.  His story is one I've seen and participated in, and you go through periods of despair when everything seems lost.  Most folks quit, some fight through.  He seems to have determined that he's gonna fight.  I applaud that.

From what I read, working out with TJ has really helped Ross.  Both on the field and with his attitude.  It's hard to help someone who shuts down when things go wrong, which Ross admits happened.  Nowhere for him to go but up.  He at least has had a full offseason and enters this season healthy.  What he does with it is up to him.

7 hours ago, kennethmw said:

084.png

Man you gotta stop drinking the Kool-Aid for a change.  I don't have time for a pity-party celebrating John Ross's existential angst, and it's not because I'm busy looking for a bridge to throw myself off of, either. Seriously? Get a fucking grip my dude.  Maybe the real problem here is your desperate need to put these guys on a pedestal, but I won't pretend to know you like that.  If you think this spoiled, privileged, millionaire young man is deserving of your compassion and empathy, then you do you.  I will respectfully decline.

21 minutes ago, membengal said:

Tough crowd. I have empathy for his struggles and his honesty in fighting through it. 

Actually I do too, although there are people fighting through much worse, life/death issues that never get articles or books written about them. It's all good though. I guess what's off-putting is that it's just another case of a rich athlete overcoming some minor hurdle and expecting a pat on the back for it. Meh.

Archived