What a dipshit.

Hall of Fame WR Terrell Owens on skipping this weekend's ceremonies in Canton: ``I understand why I made my decision. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But again, obviously the criteria and the system put in place for the Hall of Fame in order for guys like myself to be inducted, there are guidelines that the writers, the sportswriters, are supposed to adhere to. It's not, not being inducted the first or second ballot, but it's about the process in which guys are nominated and ultimately inducted. There's a flaw in that system. So this is not only about me, but it's about the guys that went before me, that's going to come after me. And I can make a stand for those guys so they won't have to go through this situation.'' Owens will hold his own ceremony at his former school, the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, at 3:17 p.m. Saturday.

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Hey everyone, look, at me!

Am I reading this correctly? Is this about not being a first ballot HOFer? That's the closest thing to a coherent thought that I can find in his statement. Hence, the dipshit title.

It's also odd that they barely referenced him being a bengal when he made the HOF until he pulled this shit. Then the first report that I saw had big pictures of him in the bengals uni in the background. 

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

Am I reading this correctly? Is this about not being a first ballot HOFer? That's the closest thing to a coherent thought that I can find in his statement. Hence, the dipshit title.

I didn't realize there was an actual reason to why TO was pulling this stunt other than to be an attention whore.  But now I'm kinda curious what this is all about...and his statements aren't helping clarify much.

29 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

I didn't realize there was an actual reason to why TO was pulling this stunt other than to be an attention whore.  But now I'm kinda curious what this is all about...and his statements aren't helping clarify much.

Think you answered your own question.

5 hours ago, schotzee said:

story/_/id/24286030/terrell-owens-held-own-hall-fame-ceremony-a

The dude had a point if it was really about the selection process on a whole.

Sorry, link didn't copy right. It's off espn.com.

He's full of shit.  He acts like he is doing it for those that come after him.  Bullshit.  His sideshow won't change anything.  All about his ego.  Always has been, always will be.  Broke-ass HOF WR, and definitely a dipshit. 

It’s assumed that what kept Owens—a five-time first-team All-Pro; the NFL’s second all-time leader in regular season receiving yards; and eighth all-time in receptions—from being inducted during his first two years of eligibility came down to character concerns. That’s obviously insane and ridiculous, for reasons that shouldn’t require any more establishing than simply pointing out the fact that Marvin Harrison probably killed a guy, and also Michael Irvin is in there.

Hmmm, odd place to be in... But for as much of an ass as TO was, there is a salient point to be made about what constitutes a "character concern". Killed a guy? First ballot! Beat your wife? Who cares, look at that career yardage! Too much of a "diva"? Time to keep these bad apples out of the hall until they learn how to kiss the ring.

It'll be an interesting few years when guys like Richard Sherman are looking at induction and getting denied because they took a knee during the anthem and guys like Ray Lewis and Ray Rice are first ballot inductions.

https://deadspin.com/terrell-owens-is-right-to-feel-insulted-1828120664

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Hmmm, odd place to be in... But for as much of an ass as TO was, there is a salient point to be made about what constitutes a "character concern". Killed a guy? First ballot! Beat your wife? Who cares, look at that career yardage! Too much of a "diva"? Time to keep these bad apples out of the hall until they learn how to kiss the ring.

It'll be an interesting few years when guys like Richard Sherman are looking at induction and getting denied because they took a knee during the anthem and guys like Ray Lewis and Ray Rice are first ballot inductions.

https://deadspin.com/terrell-owens-is-right-to-feel-insulted-1828120664

Terrell Owens played 15 years on 6 different teams, had 15,934 yards receiving and 16,276 yards Total.  He caught most of his passes from Steve Young (HOF), Jeff Garcia (4x pro-bowler), Donovan McNabb (6x Pro bowler) Tony Romo (4x pro bowler) and 1 year with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Andy Dalton.   Every team he left was happy to see him go. He threw his teammates, coaches and ownership  under the bus with regularity.  BTW, HE WAS ELECTED to the Hall of Fame, he wasn't denied anything.

Tim Brown played 17 years, 16 of them with the Raiders and had 14,934 yards receiving and 19,682 yards Total due to his 9 years as a PUNT returner.  He set 10 league records during his career and was a 9 time pro bowler.  He was #2 all time in receiving yards and #5 All purpose yards when he retired.   He caught passes from 21 different starting QBs, the best being Rich Gannon and second probably Jeff Hostetler.  He is a Raider legend and is loved by his former coaches, players and fans.  Tim Brown was not a first ballot Hall of Famer.  It took 6 times for him to be selected.  Tim didn't cry like a bitch. 

Eh, it's Owens' life. Who cares what he does or doesn't do? This "respect for the game" thing is a bunch of NFL shield kissing bullshit anyway.

The irony to me is that a HOF induction is basically the ONE individual accomplishment ceremony where a player gets inducted based solely on individual, on-field production, rather than "rah, rah, team. team" shit that players are expected to espouse during their careers.

If I was TO I would have showed up at Canton naked and asked that a bust be made of my alabama black snake rather than my head. No, the other head.

3 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Eh, it's Owens' life. Who cares what he does or doesn't do? This "respect for the game" thing is a bunch of NFL shield kissing bullshit anyway.

The irony to me is that a HOF induction is basically the ONE individual accomplishment ceremony where a player gets inducted based solely on individual, on-field production, rather than "rah, rah, team. team" shit that players are expected to espouse during their careers.

If I was TO I would have showed up at Canton naked and asked that a bust be made of my alabama black snake rather than my head. No, the other head.

Why do you even watch NFL football since you hate it so much?  If you actually believe the shit you write then you are the ultimate hypocrite to even visit this board. 

Owens is everything wrong with many of today's athletes.  They don't give a shit about their team or the fans, they just want to build a brand and cash in.  They actually think their usually uneducated opinion matters aka LeBron, I barely attended high school my junior and senior year James. 

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Why do you even watch NFL football since you hate it so much?  If you actually believe the shit you write then you are the ultimate hypocrite to even visit this board. 

Owens is everything wrong with many of today's athletes.  They don't give a shit about their team or the fans, they just want to build a brand and cash in.  They actually think their usually uneducated opinion matters aka LeBron, I barely attended high school my junior and senior year James. 

Wait, what? Man, he's just one guy. Sure, he may have ushered in the Joe Horn's and Ochocinco's of the world (you did like Chad for at least a little while, right?), and sure, he was a self-serving douchebag that never understood the team concept (except maybe for that broken leg Super Bowl appearance and his subsequent blaming of McNabb, which may out of all his complaints have had merit...and even that was likely "I love me some me" shit), but...why are you calling ME out?

Again, he's just one guy. He's deserving of his HOF accolades based solely on his stats, which is the ONLY measure a HOF player of ANY sport should be measured by. Be careful what you wish for: you start wanting to include "character" and "team oriented" type stuff in HOF voting and you may not like the result...and you'd need to kick out half the dudes already in the HOF in any sport.

How many TO clones has he spawned? You could argue that even Ochocinco at the height of his selfishness never did what TO did, which was blame others for his own shortcomings. But what of it? Who cares?

For the record: I LOVE NFL football and I completely believe it is a TEAM sport. But you can't sit here and call me a hypocrite because I have a sub "meh" level of "support" for TO deciding to "stick it to the NFL" in his own mind. Again, it's his life, it'll be his regret, and ultimately, he never won anything, so who fucking cares?

Who cares was kinda my whole point. If you're a Reds fan and believe Rose should be in the MLB HOF based solely on his on-field merits, I'd think you'd get where I was coming from. And Pete Rose is a grade a douchebag too. But he's deserving of his recognition as the hit king.

Archived