The Price Is Not Right :.(

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/04/cincinnati-bengals-billy-prices-snap-issues-take-center-stage-mock-game/907150002/

Cincinnati Bengals first-round pick Billy Price's snap issues take center stage

Paul Dehner Jr., Cincinnati EnquirerPublished 4:33 p.m. ET Aug. 4, 2018 | Updated 5:32 p.m. ET Aug. 4, 2018

Bengals beat writers Paul Dehner Jr. and Jim Owczarski review the Bengals' mock game at Paul Brown Stadium. Kareem Elgazzar, kelgazzar@enquirer.com

080418 Bengals Cincinnati Bengals Training Camp Aug 4

(Photo: Kareem Elgazzar)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 1COMMENTEMAILMORE

The problem of first-round pick Billy Price struggling with center-quarterback exchanges stuck in the background as a concerning trend of early camp practices. But the rookie was given a benefit of the doubt considering his lack of experience with snaps under center at any other level of football.

The benefit of the doubt might have been left on the field Saturday. Along with four other Price snaps in the Bengals’ annual mock game.

“We have to get better with it,” Marvin Lewis said. “There's no question. It's continued to linger.”

The first came on a shotgun snap that Andy Dalton didn’t handle and he took responsibility. Two more came with Matt Barkley under center and a third on the first snap of a series with Jeff Driskel.

“We had one with each quarterback today,” Lewis said. “Same center and each quarterback. So Billy's just got to understand how important that is. That's Step 1. We do have to make sure. We've got to do some things a little differently as we practice it and doing things in their individual time.”

Price indicated earlier in camp he thought he’d only snapped to a quarterback under center twice in his life before coming to camp. The rookie missed all of the work with a defense lined up over him during the offseason program as he recovered from his pectoral injury.

Nearly every day during camp there had been at least one exchange issue. There was a thought it was getting better, but that was mostly with Dalton. Therein lies part of the problem on Saturday, according to offensive line coach Frank Pollack.

“It’s been all Andy, Andy, Andy,” Pollack said. “He’s got to work more with all the quarterbacks. This is the most rotation of different quarterbacks he’s had to work with, that’s the nature of this practice. It’s got to get fixed, it’s going to get fixed. We have to put a little bit more attention to it. Tweak the drill a little bit. Make it a little more intense when we do it in pre-practice.”

Cincinnati Bengals center Billy Price (53) snaps the ball to Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) during Cincinnati Bengals training camp practice, Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018, at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.

Cincinnati Bengals center Billy Price (53) snaps the ball to Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) during Cincinnati Bengals training camp practice, Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018, at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.  (Photo: Kareem Elgazzar)

Driskel pointed out the center-quarterback exchange is the first thing they work on every day out before practice begins. Some quarterbacks may back out quicker than others. Some may be looking for a different timing. When Driskel went out for his first snap on Saturday, it was a rare occurrence where he was behind Price.

“Billy and Andy have been working pretty much exclusively so they can get it right,” Driskel said. “Matt and I have taken very few snaps from him. But at the end of the day that doesn’t matter. First things first, you have to get the snap right. You can’t put it on one guy or the other, it’s both guys involved. Just got to get that corrected.”

Many of these snap issues have come on the first play of a drill or even of the day as camp has unfolded. But Pollack balked at the idea this is potentially a mental issue. Price declined to talk after the practice.

“I don’t think he’s pressing,” Pollack said. “He’s just got different quarterbacks. He’s got to work with the different quarterbacks. They have all different fits.”

That’s where offensive coordinator Bill Lazor comes in. Everybody on the team is concerned over seeing something as simple as the snap exchange have this many issues, but without even a single preseason snap yet, there is plenty of time to be ready for the regular season.

“Panic isn't part of it,” Lazor said. “It's just fixing it.

“My son Nolan is in the eighth grade and they start practice working on it, because everyone needs to do it and obviously we haven't worked on it enough so we'll get that fixed.”

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 1COMMENTEMAIL

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He will fix it and this will be a non issue before the preseason begins.

Really not that simple.  Even a guy who snapped under center his entire life will have some growing pains with a new QB.  Add in a guy who basically has no under center experience along with T-Rex arms and this is the result.

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Really not that simple.  Even a guy who snapped under center his entire life will have some growing pains with a new QB.  Add in a guy who basically has no under center experience along with T-Rex arms and this is the result.

Do you think this will be a issue by the end of training camp?

Rookies struggle, it's not that alarming.  Now, his entire college career being shotgun snaps? That's more of a concern. 

Still, expecting some rookie and a couple of rusty FA's to come in and immediately fix what was the worst OL in the league last year is not very realistic.

7 minutes ago, Dr Tarzan said:

Jeffro had trouble his rookie preseason, too.   but it straightened out thereafter.   Price is too smart and skilled not to  get this.

I think so, too.  Also because we have an OL coach that's not trying to reinvent the wheel.

22 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Do you think this will be a issue by the end of training camp?

I think he will be much better than Bodine, period.   A couple of bad snaps does not equate to getting blown up at every snap and allowing interior pressure on the QB every other passing down. 

2fdfle.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I think he will be much better than Bodine, period.   A couple of bad snaps does not equate to getting blown up at every snap and allowing interior pressure on the QB every other passing down. 

2fdfle.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

How many college offenses don't shotgun now? How many current NFL centers had to adjust when they started?

On 8/5/2018 at 12:42 PM, T-Dub said:

Still, expecting some rookie and a couple of rusty FA's to come in and immediately fix what was the worst OL in the league last year is not very realistic.

See, I know you’re being pragmatic and setting your expectations low, but, given it was the worst line I’m football, a “fix” isn’t a very high bar, right?

27 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

See, I know you’re being pragmatic and setting your expectations low, but, given it was the worst line I’m football, a “fix” isn’t a very high bar, right?

"Better" is definitely a low bar, I would hope they're already that.  Getting back to average OTOH, that will probably take a few games.  I do think that happens quicker if they're not rotating players constantly like Alexanderp. 

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

How many of those college centers were expected to start from day 1?  It is concerning.

Yeah I would expect a rookie center to have the same sort of learning curve as a rookie QB.  All I ask is that he looks like he belongs physically instead of getting ragdolled to the turf & he learns from his mistakes.  Price seems to have a great attitude so I'm willing to overlook some early struggles.  

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I would expect a rookie center to have the same sort of learning curve as a rookie QB.  All I ask is that he looks like he belongs physically instead of getting ragdolled to the turf & he learns from his mistakes.  Price seems to have a great attitude so I'm willing to overlook some early struggles.  

I don't disagree, but snap issues can linger and become mental.  Kind of like a Chuck Knoblauch thing.  Hope it's just a bump in the road, but it does make me worry.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Well, he is the best center on the team so he will start.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I don't disagree, but snap issues can linger and become mental.  

Yeah right. Brad St Louis got that shit fixed lickety split. Nothing to see here.

Plus, it's not like he has to block or otherwise account for Pro Bowler Geno Atkins after every snap either. That's just a vicious rumor.

Archived