Twitter note on Christian Westerman...

Bengals OG Christian Westerman makes PFF’s team of the week

According to Pro Football Focus, Christian Westerman was the best left guard in the NFL on Thursday night.

By Nick Manchester@NickManchester9  Aug 13, 2018, 9:15am EDT

900566624.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Rob Carr/Getty Images

The fight for right guard is heating up as training camp comes to a close.

Trey Hopkins is holding onto the starting spot, but needs to keep a tight grip if he doesn’t want to lose it. And if Thursday was any indication, the competition should be heating up a little.

Christian Westerman, who came in at left guard in the second quarter of the Bengals preseason opener against the Bears, made some noise during the game. Pro Football Focus gave him the second-highest grade on offense, behind the man, myth, and legend A.J Green.

After all of the games wrapped up on Saturday night, PFF assembled their Team of the Week. Westerman made the team easily.

Westerman’s 43 snaps were a team-high for the offense, and his run blocking was just about as good as his pass blocking. He had some rough spots, but for every mistake he made, he bounced back almost immediately.

Even though Hopkins has won the right guard job two years in a row, Westerman should have a shot at it. After all, Marvin Lewis said last week that the preseason is when they get their best evaluations done. They can’t replicate live reps during training camp like they do in preseason. Lewis said that there is no first team, so Hopkins by no means has his spot locked down.

Of course, Westerman will have to play starting defenses if he wants good film on his resume. If that happens, he may not be able to replicate that 90.5 grade. But it’s worth giving him a look so that Andy Dalton can have the best protection possible.

PFF CIN Bengals @PFF_Bengals.webloc

Excuse me but PFF rankings are not considered viable, accurate or worthy of this site.   Your punishment is you must watch the entire 2017 Bengals vs Jax Jaguars football game in its entirety to include commercials.  Spoiler alert, we lost 23-7 and had 148 yards of total offense to include 29 yards on the ground.

32 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Excuse me but PFF rankings are not considered viable, accurate or worthy of this site.  

I myself think they're arbitrary as fuck but IDK if that's the general consensus?  I just think it's funny how some randoms can use decimal points and secret formulas & they're taken so seriously.

Football Outsiders were doing these "advanced metrics" way before PFF, and they use multiple analysts with a set criteria & "show their work" as far as where the numbers are coming from..

PFF is just ProFootballTalk with more math.  

42 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Excuse me but PFF rankings are not considered viable, accurate or worthy of this site.   Your punishment is you must watch the entire 2017 Bengals vs Jax Jaguars football game in its entirety to include commercials.  Spoiler alert, we lost 23-7 and had 148 yards of total offense to include 29 yards on the ground.

Just trying to throw something positive out there.  

And there were some Dilly Dilly commercials during that game

so some good will come out of it.

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Just trying to throw something positive out there.  

And there were some Dilly Dilly commercials during that game

so some good will come out of it.

I'm just hoping they can set a starting 5 before the 3rd preseason game & let them get used to working as a unit in a live game.

9 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Bengals OG Christian Westerman makes PFF’s team of the week

According to Pro Football Focus, Christian Westerman was the best left guard in the NFL on Thursday night.

By Nick Manchester@NickManchester9  Aug 13, 2018, 9:15am EDT

900566624.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Rob Carr/Getty Images

Westerman also gets the booby prize for looking the most stoned out there.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Andy looks like he's choking his chicken.

And no way anyone could be more stoned that Dre K.

Andy is looking into the stands and sees Beyonce there wearing her Palmer jersey.

Archived