Driven to Distraction

Watching Jeremy Hill score a touchdown in the preseason for the Patriots, and I wonder if I'll ever get the thought out of my head. How much, if at all, did Marvin Lewis stress ball security before the infamous wild card fumble? The 30 yard penalty against us at the end was, of course, bullshit, but the team held their own fate in their own hands after the Burfict pick. 1st and 10. Ball on the 26. 96 seconds left. Pittsburgh with all 3 of their timeouts. As an admitted novice football fan I remember instantly doing the math. Worst case scenario, (I thought), we run 3 plays without getting a 1st down and miss the ensuing field goal attempt. In this scenario Pittsburgh has no time outs, lost the time ticked off by the field goal attempt, and has significant ground to cover against an extremely fired up Burfict and company. If we make the field goal the ground for them to cover is even more since they'd need a touchdown. If we get a first down, time to take a knee, game over. Even the worst case scenario heavily favored the Bengals to win that game, AS LONG AS THEY DIDN'T LOSE THE FRICKING FOOTBALL. For Hill to go immediately screaming into the secondary alone and lose the football will make me wonder till I die, did he defy Marvin, or did Lewis even bring the subject up? That was the moment we went from being a perennial playoff threat, about to FINALLY get over the hump against the absolute dregs of the universe the Stealers, to a team with nothing to show for a strong era except a horrendous choke job. 

16 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Lol. If Jeremy fumblerooskie hill was out of the nfl like TO, I wouldn't have cared but since he is not, well ya know.

If he'd gone to some other team I would wish him well but instead I'm hoping he coughs up another one & screws over the Patriots, too.  Of course that probably won't happen with a deflated ball & he'd be ruled down by contact if it did.  

Mixon already looks like twice the RB & I doubt he'd be here if Hill doesn't fumble away a WC game.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If he'd gone to some other team I would wish him well but instead I'm hoping he coughs up another one & screws over the Patriots, too.  Of course that probably won't happen with a deflated ball & he'd be ruled down by contact if it did.  

Mixon already looks like twice the RB & I doubt he'd be here if Hill doesn't fumble away a WC game.

stealers?? lol 

Mixon is a beast.... 

16 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

stealers?? lol 

Mixon is a beast.... 

Mixon hasn't shown me anything that makes me believe he is a beast.   Hill had a FAR better rookie year than Mixon.    Yeah, oline sucked but great RBs find a way to get yardage regardless ex Cory Dillon had great season behind dog food for an oline.   Glad Hill is gone but Mixon hasn't proven anything yet.   3.5 yards per carry is crap. 

Just now, SF2 said:

Mixon hasn't shown me anything that makes me believe he is a beast.   Hill had a FAR better rookie year than Mixon.    Yeah, oline sucked but great RBs find a way to get yardage regardless ex Cory Dillon had great season behind dog food for an oline.   Glad Hill is gone but Mixon hasn't proven anything yet. 

not comparing anyone to Corey.... best RB we ever had

but Mixon is super talented... he did "ok" behind the worst line in the NFL last year.

you'll see this year.. just an ok line and the kid will be awesome..

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

not comparing anyone to Corey.... best RB we ever had

but Mixon is super talented... he did "ok" behind the worst line in the NFL last year.

you'll see this year.. just an ok line and the kid will be awesome..

Gio averaged almost a full yard more per carry then Mixon last year.   

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Mixon hasn't shown me anything that makes me believe he is a beast.   Hill had a FAR better rookie year than Mixon.    Yeah, oline sucked but great RBs find a way to get yardage regardless ex Cory Dillon had great season behind dog food for an oline.   Glad Hill is gone but Mixon hasn't proven anything yet. 

Hill had Whitworth & Zeitler to run behind in his rookie season. Behind the same shitty line Mixon had a better YPC.

He averaged almost 5ypc in the last 4 games he played behind that same shitty line & that's missing 2 games in the middle of that stretch with an ankle injury.

If he "hasn't show you anything" I'm not sure you're watching the right guy. Mixon is #28.  Keep an eye on the end zone this year, you can't miss him.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Hill had Whitworth & Zeitler to run behind in his rookie season. Behind the same shitty line Mixon had a better YPC.

He averaged almost 5ypc in the last 4 games he played behind that same shitty line & that's missing 2 games in the middle of that stretch with an ankle injury.

If he "hasn't show you anything" I'm not sure you're watching the right guy. Mixon is #28.  Keep an eye on the end zone this year, you can't miss him.

yea.. this

you explained it much better than my ok... but that's what i meant 

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

His last 4 games went like this:

He had a decent game against a winless Cleveland team.

He followed that up with a 34 yard game against Pittsburgh

Next was the 12 yard outing against Detroit.

He had a nice game against Baltimore to close out the season.  18 rushes for 96 yards.

He is a good running back, nothing more.    

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

His last 4 games went like this:

He had a decent game against a winless Cleveland team.

He followed that up with a 34 yard game against Pittsburgh

On 7 carries, because he got hurt when they twisted his ank - oh wait, only Burfict twists ankles. The Stealers dO tHiNgS tHe rIgHt wAy. Must have been the turf monster.

Next was the 12 yard outing against Detroit.

..in his first game back from the ankle injury.  He got 3 carries.

He is a good running back, nothing more.   

So what's the argument? What more do you want him to be, a concert clarinetist? 

Jar-emy's pride took him down. He wanted that TD so bad in the playoff game just so he could do his little dance and shove it up the stoolers ass for head-hunting his friend Gio.

But Jar-emy will probably listen to his coaches in NE and fall in line like a good soldier. 

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So what's the argument? What more do you want him to be, a concert clarinetist? 

My argument is he isn't a BEAST.  He had a couple of good games and quite a few of really meh showings.  You are the one who said he averaged 5 YPC in his final 4 games, not me.  

He had a very good game against Baltimore.  I certainly would not call it a BEASTLY game although knocking Baltimore out of the playoffs was awesome.  

He looks like he will be a good running back. Cedric Benson / Rudi Johnson numbers would be huge but this team is going to throw way more than it runs.  The fact is our oline is way too green to learn the more complex run blocking schemes good running teams use in such a short period of time.  If Mixon excels at pass blocking then he should get quite a few opportunities to catch balls on 3rd downs. 

The reality is we haven't had a dynamic running game her for a long time.  Sure, we have had decent backs but other than Gio, we rarely use them INTENTIONALLY in the passing game.  The only way Mixon attains Beast status is to CATCH a lot of passes and become a duel threat like Bell, Gurley, Kamara or even his teammate Gio.  I think he has all the tools to do this but I don't have a lot of faith in Marvin.  Once Sean Peyton realized what he had with Kamara, they totally changed their offense to get him the ball past the line and let him do his thing.  I just don't see Marvin and co doing something like that. 

50 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Hill has talent, he's hungry, and he's playing with TB12....

I liked Hill and didn't hate him because I thought his knee was down and the refs cheated us on the replay. Hill will mature and behave with a humble personality because he's with the Pats.

Keep in mind Marvin threw Hill under the bus after he elected to have season ending surgery.  This was after the Bengals fell to 3-6.  This was after the Bengals had already drafted his replacement in Mixon.  This was after Witworth and Zeitler left.   

In Hill's last game of the season against the 30th ranked Colts defense, Mixon, Hill and Gio managed 34 yards on the ground.   The team was awful.  

Hill knew his days were numbered here and the team going nowhere so he had the surgery,  went thru rehab and got himself ready to earn a spot on his next team.    It would have been foolish for him to play hurt just to make Marvin Lewis happy in a meaningless year knowing it would be his last in Cincy.    He has one chance left to play well at New England and sign a decent vet contract.  He knew that wasn't going to happen here so he did what was best for him.    A better question to ask is what happened to Hill after his rookie season?  It seems odd that he pretty much changed his running style after his rookie year for no apparent reason.  Why?

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Keep in mind Marvin threw Hill under the bus after he elected to have season ending surgery.  This was after the Bengals fell to 3-6.  This was after the Bengals had already drafted his replacement in Mixon.  This was after Witworth and Zeitler left.   

In Hill's last game of the season against the 30th ranked Colts defense, Mixon, Hill and Gio managed 34 yards on the ground.   The team was awful.  

Hill knew his days were numbered here and the team going nowhere so he had the surgery,  went thru rehab and got himself ready to earn a spot on his next team.    It would have been foolish for him to play hurt just to make Marvin Lewis happy in a meaningless year knowing it would be his last in Cincy.    He has one chance left to play well at New England and sign a decent vet contract.  He knew that wasn't going to happen here so he did what was best for him.    

Totally agree with you here.  I have to assume there was more friction between RB & coach behind the scenes.

A better question to ask is what happened to Hill after his rookie season?  It seems odd that he pretty much changed his running style after his rookie year for no apparent reason.  Why?

IIRC from looking into that same question,  Leonard basically got Hewitt's snaps during Hill's 2nd year.  I think Hill had to think too much instead of just following the FB.  He's also kind of a plodder, without the break-away speed or elusiveness to bust a lot of long runs.  Guessing he was trying to compensate for that & was again doing too much thinking.  

20 hours ago, A Rock said:

How much, if at all, did Marvin Lewis stress ball security before the infamous wild card fumble?

You somehow think that Mr. "Limit Explosive Plays" didn't mention it at all?

I mean, all of this is some standard "what-iffing", but are you honestly saying that you feel like Marvin Lewis somehow is to blame for Hill fumbling that ball? Never mind the fact that he should not have to tell Hill not to fumble the ball with 2 minutes left in a close game.... But you honestly think that no one cared all year about holding on to the ball?

21 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You somehow think that Mr. "Limit Explosive Plays" didn't mention it at all?

I mean, all of this is some standard "what-iffing", but are you honestly saying that you feel like Marvin Lewis somehow is to blame for Hill fumbling that ball? Never mind the fact that he should not have to tell Hill not to fumble the ball with 2 minutes left in a close game.... But you honestly think that no one cared all year about holding on to the ball?

I agree with this.  I don't think a coach should have to tell his starting RB to not fumble in that situation.  I don't think a coach should ever have to tell an RB at the NFL level to not fumble.   That said I have done a lot of coaching in my day and simple obvious reminders can be very effective.  Telling someone to stay in bounds, telling them no more time outs, not to shoot but pass it around to burn the clock seems obvious but until you say it, sometimes the player, in a big situation simply forgets unless reminded.  The question is did someone say something to Hill.  I don't know.  Still no excuse to fumble. 

So the suggestion is , if Lewis definitely told him not to fumble he wouldn't have? Didn't realize it was that simple. Hell if I was a coach then I would record myself saying no fumbles, no interceptions, no holding calls, no pass interference etc etc. I would then play it back on every play of every game.:39:

Archived