Iloka cut

2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Another very non typical Bengals move. Who was the other experienced guy they just released maybe 2 weeks ago?

Maybe this is the new Bengals. Releasing two veterans after years of keeping players like Peko and Maualuga for years until they finally signed somewhere else in FA.

Just now, whodey365 said:

If it was just for financial reasons why not cut mj93? I dont like this move. George has been really solid and still quite young. 

I don't like it either. And I agree that the salary reason doesn't make sense. Maybe he clashed with the new DC.

He looked to be playing poor yesterday. It's a surprise, but it's not. Since Austin has been here, he's been looking anywhere and everywhere to find replacements for Iloka and Williams. Unfortunately, Iloka lacked the athleticism to make up for his sub-par to average football instincts. it's why he always looked tentative when deciding whether to get aggressive and make a play on the football. 

I've seen very negative reaction from fans on other platforms and I don't know why. He was a very average safety who didn't make many plays and was only moderatly effective in the run game. You have guys like Bates and Fej who can probably do just as much. if this allows Geno, Dunlap, and Dennard to be signed, so be it. 

38 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

If it was just for financial reasons why not cut mj93? I dont like this move. George has been really solid and still quite young. 

What has he done to earn the contract? If you believe that you have an impact player behind him, why pay him? He just is incapable of making plays on the backend. You need to get SOMETHING out of your safeties. The guy was giving 10 yards of cushion to a backup TE last night. 

I too was surprised by the move, but am comforted by the fact that it looks like turning over every stone in search of turnovers was always Teryl Austin's plan, and in light of Iloka's subpar career INT total (9, and weren't FOUR of those in one game?) over 7 years, it seems his time was due. And yeah, he was way more expensive than the newer guys.

The article indicates they're high on undrafted safety Trayvon Henderson too, whom I don't think I have yet seen play.

He looked to be playing poor yesterday. It's a surprise, but it's not. Since Austin has been here, he's been looking anywhere and everywhere to find replacements for Iloka and Williams. Unfortunately, Iloka lacked the athleticism to make up for his sub-par to average football instincts. it's why he always looked tentative when deciding whether to get aggressive and make a play on the football. 

I've seen very negative reaction from fans on other platforms and I don't know why. He was a very average safety who didn't make many plays and was only moderatly effective in the run game. You have guys like Bates and Fej who can probably do just as much. if this allows Geno, Dunlap, and Dennard to be signed, so be it. 

Good post ... Iloka was average at best. The players behind him are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post ... Iloka was average at best. The players behind him are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived