Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Hooky

Iloka cut

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, BronxBengal said:


Good post ... Iloka was average at best. The players behind him are better.
 

 

Based on what, two preseason games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well they're definitely a lot more athletic, which certainly fits the "force more turnovers" narrative.

 

it's pretty obvious they want guys on the back end that can run and fly to the ball, that's definitely not Illoka.....what's the point in keeping him around if he doesn't fit the new system? especially with the price tag he carried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Based on what, two preseason games?

See if you can stomach re-watching Iloka’s play last night. He was bad. Really bad. He just plays so tentative. If the DC is looking for aggressiveness, that’s not Iloka. 

 

Iloka fits the bend dont break style. If you want more out of your defense, then you need a new safety. I don’t know how good Bates is, but I am MORE than familiar with Iloka and his play is just not enough if you’re looking to win a Super Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

See if you can stomach re-watching Iloka’s play last night. He was bad. Really bad. He just plays so tentative. If the DC is looking for aggressiveness, that’s not Iloka. 

 

 

 

Bates didn't look any better to me, being my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Bates didn't look any better to me, being my point.

Not a big proponent but PFF seems to believe he’s played well in preseason. 

 

Bottom line is that you’re inserting a safety into the lineup who is willing to take chances in order to generate positive plays. 

 

Will he get burnt from time to time? Most likely.

 

But does he play in a manner that is conducive to him making some game changing/sealing plays? Quite possibly.

 

Either way you knew things weren’t getting any better with Iloka. In baseball they call players like him replacement-level. He wasn’t athletic (relatively speaking), wasn’t instinctual, and lacked any real ball skills.

 

What did he offer other than an ability to play so deep that no one could get behind him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

 

 

What did he offer other than an ability to play so deep that no one could get behind him?

 

 

 

At that point, in that game, the way they had been acting? I'll take that flag 10 times out of 10.  

 

(Note Brown acting like he was knocked out cold until the flags land, also note Iloka leading with his shoulder)

 

Anyway... First big gamble by Austin, guess we're gonna see how it plays out.  Not sure what to think of him calling games from the booth, seems like kind of a REMF move to me, but time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

I too was surprised by the move, but am comforted by the fact that it looks like turning over every stone in search of turnovers was always Teryl Austin's plan, and in light of Iloka's subpar career INT total (9, and weren't FOUR of those in one game?) over 7 years, it seems his time was due. And yeah, he was way more expensive than the newer guys.

 

The article indicates they're high on undrafted safety Trayvon Henderson too, whom I don't think I have yet seen play.

I noticed Trayvon Henderson in the last two game and he was everywhere.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

 

At that point, in that game, the way they had been acting? I'll take that flag 10 times out of 10.  

 

(Note Brown acting like he was knocked out cold until the flags land, also note Iloka leading with his shoulder)

 

Anyway... First big gamble by Austin, guess we're gonna see how it plays it.  Not sure what to think of him calling games from the booth, seems like kind of a REMF move to me, but time will tell.

What's REMF stand for? Something to do with Bratkowski?

:lol:

 

3 minutes ago, bigboi said:

I noticed Trayvon Henderson in the last two game and he was everywhere.

Cool. I tend to drift off during the latter halves of preseason games. I really only care about how the starting units play, the score is immaterial to me. Our starting units left a lot to be desired yesterday, on both sides of the ball. They did have a couple AJ Green shots that could have worked out for big gainers had the timing been down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

REMF = Rear Echelon Mother Fucker....

 

refers to the military... soldiers who were "in combat" but were nowhere near the front lines. Supply types, admin types, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iloka was miscast as a FS.  Apparently they like Williams more as a SS.  Bates may not be as good right now (although he graded better according to PFF) but he has more upside as a FS, and the biggest knock on him, his physicality, he seems to have improved on.  This is a move for the future as much as the present, and opens up cap room for Atkins and Dunlap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see these moves as unqualified arrogance. Lafell too. We don't have the roster yet to cut these guys and should be doing what other teams do and release them in final cuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Safety market is dry.  It would not surprise me at all if Iloka is back in a few weeks with a re-worked deal, provided he would be interested in returning.  He won't be offered what he was scheduled to make here on the open market, but he is still a viable NFL Safety.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

I see these moves as unqualified arrogance. Lafell too. We don't have the roster yet to cut these guys and should be doing what other teams do and release them in final cuts. 

Why? If you have any confidence in how the new staff is performing, why not let them be free to bring in new talent they want to replace the status quo?

If the guys being cut are not the best option for the system/roster, I like how they move ahead positively to benefit the team and cut the guy early so he might catch on elsewhere.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

Based on what, two preseason games?

I'm gonna assume he is basing that off of Austin & companies judgements. They see way more than we do. Hopefully their assessment is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised by the move and now worried about the depth at safety.  Money was the main reason behind cutting Iloka and perhaps the savings will go towards an extension for Atkins/Dunlap.  I kinda sorta agree that his play had been slipping to some extent, at least last year and last night.  He's never been a ball hawk and the new staff has no reason to be loyal to him.  I have no doubt he lands on his feet and I won't be surprised if he does well.  Bates and Fej are both going to play major snaps unless they make another move and they are not proven players like Iloka.  That's a problem that we didn't have yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Mj93 wouldn't save them any money, he save them $2-500k, this move saves them $5.6million

No idea where you came up with this.  Cuttin mj saves about 5 mil too so hes next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Money was the main reason behind cutting Iloka

Then why not cut Johnson? Same salary and a LOT more depth at DE. Why not Ogubuehi?

And what do we use that money for? More extending next year's contracts with this year's money? We have what, $15 Mil under the cap before cutting Illoka? What do we need $20 Million for? Putting 15% of our cap towards next year.... Again? How many freaking years have we either rolled over 15-20 Mil or spent it on extensions "next year". Always take the field at a 10% disadvantage.

If you think this was a good move, you have obviously drunk the "Mike/Katie know what they're doing" line of Kool-Aid. We're an injury away from starting Fuckulum, and if you know who the guy is after that, congrats. Oliver Lipschitz? I have no clue.

Fuck Mike and Katie. This was a dumb ass move. Not as dumb as acting like we have the option to not sign guys who won't stand for the magic flag song because of our long history of success. But slightly dumber than having to beg Marvin Lewis to re-up his contract after 93 years of mediocrity. And nowhere near as dumb as disrespecting your pro-bowl LT because he's over 30. Fuck the Bengals, fuck the Brown family, and just for good measure, Who-Dey can go fuck himself too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schotzee said:

basing that off of Austin

It was 2011 before Marvin was allowed to choose the gameday roster. You honestly think that Mike and Katie are trusting Teryl Austin to make financial decisions right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Surprised by the move and now worried about the depth at safety.  Money was the main reason behind cutting Iloka and perhaps the savings will go towards an extension for Atkins/Dunlap.  I kinda sorta agree that his play had been slipping to some extent, at least last year and last night.  He's never been a ball hawk and the new staff has no reason to be loyal to him.  I have no doubt he lands on his feet and I won't be surprised if he does well.  Bates and Fej are both going to play major snaps unless they make another move and they are not proven players like Iloka.  That's a problem that we didn't have yesterday.

I would keep an eye on lardarius webb, because he is very close coach Teryl Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

It was 2011 before Marvin was allowed to choose the gameday roster. You honestly think that Mike and Katie are trusting Teryl Austin to make financial decisions right now?

No, I'm hoping and thinking it's  about who the best players are. Hoping it's not a money thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Then why not cut Johnson? Same salary and a LOT more depth at DE. Why not Ogubuehi?

And what do we use that money for? More extending next year's contracts with this year's money? We have what, $15 Mil under the cap before cutting Illoka? What do we need $20 Million for? Putting 15% of our cap towards next year.... Again? How many freaking years have we either rolled over 15-20 Mil or spent it on extensions "next year". Always take the field at a 10% disadvantage.

If you think this was a good move, you have obviously drunk the "Mike/Katie know what they're doing" line of Kool-Aid. We're an injury away from starting Fuckulum, and if you know who the guy is after that, congrats. Oliver Lipschitz? I have no clue.

Fuck Mike and Katie. This was a dumb ass move. Not as dumb as acting like we have the option to not sign guys who won't stand for the magic flag song because of our long history of success. But slightly dumber than having to beg Marvin Lewis to re-up his contract after 93 years of mediocrity. And nowhere near as dumb as disrespecting your pro-bowl LT because he's over 30. Fuck the Bengals, fuck the Brown family, and just for good measure, Who-Dey can go fuck himself too. 

Whether they save money or not, I don’t really care. I think it was a good move because I don’t think Iloka was ever really good. At this point, I certainly don’t believe he was any better than Fej or Shaw. He was just a guy. Seriously, was there something you saw in Iloka that other people didn’t see? How did he help the middling defense he played on the last few years?

 

I could see losing your shit over cutting a certifiably good player like Dunlap or Dennard or something, but for a guy who finished as one of the worst safeties in the league last year according to PFF?

 

He wasn’t traded because no one in the league would want to pay him what he was going to make this year. If that’s the case, why should the Bengals? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Whether they save money or not, I don’t really care. I think it was a good move because I don’t think Iloka was ever really good. At this point, I certainly don’t believe he was any better than Fej or Shaw. He was just a guy. Seriously, was there something you saw in Iloka that other people didn’t see? How did he help the middling defense he played on the last few years?

 

I could see losing your shit over cutting a certifiably good player like Dunlap or Dennard or something, but for a guy who finished as one of the worst safeties in the league last year according to PFF?

 

He wasn’t traded because no one in the league would want to pay him what he was going to make this year. If that’s the case, why should the Bengals? 

Whether you thought he was any good is irrelevant. If the guy sucks, you don't wait until the second preseason game to cut him when you have nothing to spend the savings on. You don't wait until Boxing Day to "save money" so you can get your kids more Christmas presents.

According to the Bengals themselves, this was a money saving move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Whether you thought he was any good is irrelevant. If the guy sucks, you don't wait until the second preseason game to cut him when you have nothing to spend the savings on. You don't wait until Boxing Day to "save money" so you can get your kids more Christmas presents.

According to the Bengals themselves, this was a money saving move.

Naw, I'm not buying this argument. Mike Brown and Katie know what;s best for the team, and that's what's happening here. Any other opinions are not welcomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×