Time to Get a QB

This isn't an Andy Dalton bashing thread.  Andy is a serviceable QB and I believe we can win with Andy.  My point is this...if you need a QB it's too late.  Let's look at a few examples.

Green Bay - they had Brett Farve and drafted Aaron Rodgers

New Orleans (we don't know how this will turn out yet) - traded a 3rd rounder for Bridgewater while they have Drew Brees

New England - have Brady, but drafted Brassett and Jimmy G.  Now, both are gone, but Brady is 90 years old and still a top-2 QB in the league

Indy - Had Manning, though injured and drafted Luck

If you wait until Andy is at the end, there's no guarantee that a QB will be available and that's when you reach for one and he falls flat on his face. There are rumors we were looking at drafting Mason Rudolph and didn't get him, but I'm hoping we don't wait another couple of years before looking for a possible QB replacement.  Worst case scenario, they become trade bait if they can't beat out Andy.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Good morning to you there, Rip van Winkle, but I regret to inform you that the draft was 4 months ago.

Haha, I didn't mean now as in today, but now as in ASAP, wether that's before the season, free agency, the 2019 draft or even the 2020 draft..  I referenced Mason Rudolph who was in the 2018 draft so I wasn't totally asleep.  New Orleans just traded for Bridgewater...things can happen after the draft.

37 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Haha, I didn't mean now as in today, but now as in ASAP, wether that's before the season, free agency, the 2019 draft or even the 2020 draft..  I referenced Mason Rudolph who was in the 2018 draft so I wasn't totally asleep.  New Orleans just traded for Bridgewater...things can happen after the draft.

Bridgewater will prosper with Sean Peyton and Brees as his mentor if he can stay healthy.  Brees just signed a 3 year contract that is really 2-1 year contracts  $27 mil this year, $23mil next but only $13mil of it was guaranteed.

The 3rd year can be voided at zero cost to the Saints.

Many think this may be his last year so it was a good move getting Bridgewater.  

We had one in one in McScooter. 

I totally agree. Two decent QBs are needed because one can go down at any second. Having no solid #2 is like risking the whole season on a broken pinky finger or twisted ankle.  Dalton goes down it could be a wrap. The kid from Florida looks possibly capable. 

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Green Bay - they had Brett Farve and drafted Aaron Rodgers

New Orleans (we don't know how this will turn out yet) - traded a 3rd rounder for Bridgewater while they have Drew Brees

New England - have Brady, but drafted Brassett and Jimmy G.  Now, both are gone, but Brady is 90 years old and still a top-2 QB in the league

Indy - Had Manning, though injured and drafted Luck

Bengals- Had Boomer Esiason and drafted David Klingler

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Good morning to you there, Rip van Winkle, but I regret to inform you that the draft was 4 months ago.

It was?  Who did we get?  I hope it wasn't that kid from Ohio State with short arms.

48 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

If you want McScooter you can have him back shortly. As soon as Josh Allen gets the starting gig, AJ will be very much available

If so, I would love it.  Would hope Mike Brown would have him on the first Greyhound back to Cincinnati.

But I'm sure he would go somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

If so, I would love it.  Would hope Mike Brown would have him on the first Greyhound back to Cincinnati.

But I'm sure he would go somewhere else.

Guessing the whole arbitration thing might've burned that bridge.   Somehow I suspect all that Redeemin' falls short of people who he thinks have actually wronged him.  

If you're AJ Mc, is Buffalo better than Cincinnati? I sure can't see it. No O line, the weather sucks, small media market, he knew they were going to draft the franchise, same division as the Patriots. If that's all the better he can do, Cincinnati may look good to him

14 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Reading that the stealers could be trading Josh Dobbs.

Or he could be cut.  I can't see us trading anything with the Stealers.

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Josh Dobbs has never been cut from a team in his life, no matter the sport. The Pittsburgh Stealers quarterback understands the streak is in jeopardy due to the indelicate politics that come with putting together an NFL roster.

It's a reality Dobbs can live with if he has to. Then again, after throwing for a touchdown and running for another in a 39-24 preseason victory over Carolina on Thursday night, Dobbs made a compelling case to stick around - be it in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in the league.

''I don't really get too nervous,'' Dobbs said. ''I don't really play that game. I know it's a stressful time. I'll just let it play itself out. That's all I can do. I know it's not really in my hands. I feel like I've played well. Played strong.''

Dobbs, fighting for one of the backup jobs behind Ben Roethlisberger, vaulted into the end zone for a 3-yard scoring run to cap Pittsburgh's first drive. He added a 27-yard strike to Tevin Jones later in the opening quarter and finished 8 of 12 for 151 yards to cap an impressive training camp.

''I think it's night and day from this season to last season,'' said Dobbs, a fourth-round pick in 2017. ''Just in total command and understanding of the offense and then being able to go out and make plays on the field. Throughout the preseason, I was able to make plays when I was given my opportunity. It shows in my command, I think it shows in my play and in how the offense was able to move up and down the field.''

It just might not be enough for Dobbs to stick around.

14 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Or he could be cut.  I can't see us trading anything with the Stealers.

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Josh Dobbs has never been cut from a team in his life, no matter the sport. The Pittsburgh Stealers quarterback understands the streak is in jeopardy due to the indelicate politics that come with putting together an NFL roster.

It's a reality Dobbs can live with if he has to. Then again, after throwing for a touchdown and running for another in a 39-24 preseason victory over Carolina on Thursday night, Dobbs made a compelling case to stick around - be it in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in the league.

''I don't really get too nervous,'' Dobbs said. ''I don't really play that game. I know it's a stressful time. I'll just let it play itself out. That's all I can do. I know it's not really in my hands. I feel like I've played well. Played strong.''

Dobbs, fighting for one of the backup jobs behind Ben Roethlisberger, vaulted into the end zone for a 3-yard scoring run to cap Pittsburgh's first drive. He added a 27-yard strike to Tevin Jones later in the opening quarter and finished 8 of 12 for 151 yards to cap an impressive training camp.

''I think it's night and day from this season to last season,'' said Dobbs, a fourth-round pick in 2017. ''Just in total command and understanding of the offense and then being able to go out and make plays on the field. Throughout the preseason, I was able to make plays when I was given my opportunity. It shows in my command, I think it shows in my play and in how the offense was able to move up and down the field.''

It just might not be enough for Dobbs to stick around.

Yep and I agree.

Id be happy with a QB group of Dalton-Driskel and Dobbs. Loved Dobbs coming out. He has been erratic but he is brilliant, can run and has a cannon. I have to assume he will eventually get it. The Stealers, who are pretty good at this football team, don't seem to agree with me. 

31 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

ANdy's only 30, he's got at least 5 years left in him before he starts showing signs of aging imo

Honestly, I would be good moving on from Andy.   However, I don't think Driskel, Barkley or McCarron are the answer.   We have had pretty good talent around him most of the time except for the oline last year but we have been slightly above average 2 times at best.  We have been pretty much vanilla with maybe some sprinkles a few years, nothing more.    The defense has been the better half of the team by far this decade.   

The fact is the organization is not in any hurry to replace Andy and the $13.9 price tag this year is an absolute bargain for an average starting QB.  

Figure 2 more years then we will start a guy on his rookie contract.

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Honestly, I would be good moving on from Andy.   However, I don't think Driskel, Barkley or McCarron are the answer.   We have had pretty good talent around him most of the time except for the oline last year but we have been slightly above average 2 times at best.  We have been pretty much vanilla with maybe some sprinkles a few years, nothing more.    The defense has been the better half of the team by far this decade.   

The fact is the organization is not in any hurry to replace Andy and the $13.9 price tag this year is an absolute bargain for an average starting QB.  

I have no issue moving on either, I'm more speaking what I think the organization will do.

Unless something really good fell into the Bengals laps why would you move on?  The past two seasons Dalton hasn't had very good protection.  Hard to judge a guy in that situation. 

Hell, for as few opportunities as he has had, Driscoll looks pretty good.  The answer may be right under everyone's nose. 

I just love how your examples have nothing to do with our current situation.

2 times teams went with a first round pick to replace an aging QB, only one time it worked out well. 2 times teams signed guys to back up an older QB. One of which was like 2 weeks ago, and the other time that was a waste.

"Oh, no! Andy Dalton sucks! Let's go get one of the HOF QB's out there still sitting on his couch in September!"

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I just love how your examples have nothing to do with our current situation.

2 times teams went with a first round pick to replace an aging QB, only one time it worked out well. 2 times teams signed guys to back up an older QB. One of which was like 2 weeks ago, and the other time that was a waste.

"Oh, no! Andy Dalton sucks! Let's go get one of the HOF QB's out there still sitting on his couch in September!"

My thought is I can't see the organization paying Dalton $23 to 25mil a year 2 years from now to be a middle tier QB unless we do something significant the next 2 years i.e. win some playoff games.  The apathy for the organization has become pretty bad. Good tickets for the home opener against the Ravens can be had for face value or around $70.   The same tickets in Cleveland are going for $150.     Our next home game isn't until October.  You can get a ticket for that game for $32.   The apathy is astounding. 

The fact is the franchise has nobody and nothing to market.  AJ Green is the most marketable talent wise but mention his name to someone outside of Cincy and you get "Oh yeah, he is pretty good.  I forgot about him.".  Baker Mayfield is more marketable than Dalton and he has never throw a pass in a real game.  At some point you would think the organization wants to do something to generate some interest. 

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

My thought is I can't see the organization paying Dalton $23 to 25mil a year 2 years from now to be a middle tier QB unless we do something significant the next 2 years i.e. win some playoff games.  The apathy for the organization has become pretty bad. Good tickets for the home opener against the Ravens can be had for face value or around $70.   The same tickets in Cleveland are going for $150.     Our next home game isn't until October.  You can get a ticket for that game for $32.   The apathy is astounding. 

The fact is the franchise has nobody and nothing to market.  AJ Green is the most marketable talent wise but mention his name to someone outside of Cincy and you get "Oh yeah, he is pretty good.  I forgot about him.".  Baker Mayfield is more marketable than Dalton and he has never throw a pass in a real game.  At some point you would think the organization wants to do something to generate some interest. 

Of course Cleveland has marketable guys now. Getting the #1 overall pick two yrs in a row will earn you that. Let's see how marketable Baker M is a few yrs down the rd. 

I'm a Tennessee alum and I know a whole lot about Josh Dobbs. I admit to not seeing much of him since he went pro. He was notoriously inaccurate as a passer. His strength was his legs. He could run like a deer and not look like it. He had long strides that'd avoid tacklers like teflon. That's a good skill set for college football but not so much for the NFL. If he learns accuracy in the NFL I'll tip my cap to him but that generally doesn't happen. I found it telling that the Stealers drafted a QB so early in the draft. That told me that they weren't sold on Dobbs either. I will also add that Dobbs was in a horrible system at Tenn and his coach was equally horrible

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Since when has any of that mattered to Mike Brown?  What marketing have the Bengals ever done?  Brown is content to take his share of league revenues and put a marginal product on the field.  It’s not 1990.  Ticket revenue isn’t that big a piece of the total dollars pie. 

Mike Brown would yawn at your presentation and go back to counting expenses.  We’re talking about the owner that resigned Marvin Lewis.  

Archived