Cuts Tracker

32 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The tats will fit in very well with the Manadlay Bay/I-15 Raiders.

It's strange & kind of interesting how prison-quality ink became fashionable.   Like I'm pretty sure McSkeeter never served time in Folsom for armed robbery, yet..  

Then again the low-key gang affiliations among NFL players is one of many topics the league tries to ignore.  Suffice to say I don't think it starts & ends with Aaron Hernandez.  Is Cooter MS-13? I don't want to look at that mess closely enough to find the symbolism.  

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It's strange & kind of interesting how prison-quality ink became fashionable.   Like I'm pretty sure McSkeeter never served time in Folsom for armed robbery, yet..  

Then again the low-key gang affiliations among NFL players is one of many topics the league tries to ignore.  Suffice to say I don't think it starts & ends with Aaron Hernandez.  Is Cooter MS-13? I don't want to look at that mess closely enough to find the symbolism.  

McCarron sucks.  Why so much time being spent on a guy we let go for nothing?  The Bills gave him away for nothing.  He got beat out by a guy named Nathan who has a career 242 yards passing and 5 ints.

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

McCarron sucks.  Why so much time being spent on a guy we let go for nothing?  

Man I honestly have no idea.  I never saw anything from him that made him look like more than a good backup option.  He might even be an okay-ish starter in the right system but around here he's Tom Montana.   Personally I just find the whole d-bag BMOC thing amusing.

25 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I will defer to "Penn State Guru" Harley on detailed assessment, but I recall him being the centerpiece for PSU scoring output during his time--and had the measurables to go along. 

A 2nd round pick so bad the Raiders dumped him after 1 month.

What Inigo said...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/02/bengals-stay-put-ink-10-practice-squad-michael-johnson/1181428002/

Bengals re-sign Michael Johnson, ink 10 to practice squad

Paul Dehner Jr., Cincinnati EnquirerPublished 2:30 p.m. ET Sept. 2, 2018 | Updated 5:14 p.m. ET Sept. 2, 2018

080918_BENGALS KE, Chicago Bears at Cincinnati Bengals preseason game Week 1

(Photo: Kareem Elgazzar)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Any thought of a busy Sunday shaking up the Bengals roster was left unfulfilled. That’s mostly a good thing for Cincinnati.

The Bengals were one of 15 teams not to claim any player off waivers and saw only one of the players they released on Saturday picked up by other teams.

That meant filling the practice squad with mostly players they wanted to keep in the building as the season kicks off this week.

They also brought back veteran defensive lineman Michael Johnson, who they let go at Saturday's cuts. 

For University of Cincinnati offensive lineman Justin Murray, who spent last year on the practice squad and this offseason with the team, he ended up landing on the 53-man roster of the Oakland Raiders.

The big move of the day revolves around re-signing veteran defensive lineman Michael Johnson. Expectations were all along the Bengals would want to bring Johnson back after terminating his contract. According to league sources, other teams did jump in the mix for his services, but Johnson opted to return on a one-year deal. It was essentially the same contract he was on the prior contract, which was in its final year. 

Here is the list of the 10 players named to the practice squad. They have one spot open since Böhringer doesn’t count against the maximum total as their International program participant.

• TE Moritz Böhringer (first-year player, Aalen [Germany])
  • DT Andrew Brown (rookie, Virginia)
  • HB Quinton Flowers (rookie, South Florida)
  • H-B Jordan Franks (rookie, Central Florida)
  • CB C.J. Goodwin (third-year player, California [Pa.])
  • C Brad Lundblade (rookie, Oklahoma State)
  • OT Kent Perkins (first-year player, Texas)
  • CB KeiVarae Russell (third-year player, Notre Dame)
  • WR Kermit Whitfield (first-year player, Florida State)
  • LB Chris Worley (rookie, Ohio State)

Also, defensive back Josh Shaw and defensive lineman Chris Okoye reverted to the team's injured reserve after clearing waivers. Both Russell and Goodwin making it through to the practice squad was encouraging as the Bengals are thin in experience behind the top three starting cornerbacks. 

A notable exclusion from the list was running back Brian Hill, narrowly beat out by Tra Carson in the battle for the fourth spot. It appears he opted to return to Atlanta with a clearer path to playing time after a productive preseason with the Bengals. Hill was originally signed off the Falcons practice squad in the middle of last season by the Bengals. 

The one spot left went to a quarterback as the team looked for options better than seventh-round pick Logan Woodside. A slew of notable quarterbacks were released on Sunday, but the Bengals opted for Christian Hackenberg, who busted as a second-round pick of the Jets and didn't stick with the Eagles this year. 

No announcement of who Johnson is replacing on the 53 man.  Most likely Core or Harris are or will be going on IR.  The other move will probably be in the secondary.  Right now the depth at CB is sketchy behind the top 3.  They might be waiting till after week 1 to sign someone without guaranteeing their contract.

35 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

No announcement of who Johnson is replacing on the 53 man.  Most likely Core or Harris are or will be going on IR.  The other move will probably be in the secondary.  Right now the depth at CB is sketchy behind the top 3.  They might be waiting till after week 1 to sign someone without guaranteeing their contract.

Any particular reason why that is the case?  That signing after week 1 the year is not guaranteed??  If that is the case, why isn't that done more often??

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

An obvious assessment. I was just recollecting that he was fairly effective on some useless post-Paterno Penn State teams. 

I know, just hard to believe a second rounder can be written off after 2 years.

16 hours ago, snarkster said:

That's a horrifically bad move. Hackenberg sucked his last couple years in college, then was overdrafted. He couldn't get on the field for a Jets team desperate for a QB. Then when he does get some playing time this preseason he sucks as usual. 

11 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Any particular reason why that is the case?  That signing after week 1 the year is not guaranteed??  If that is the case, why isn't that done more often??

Technically the contracts aren't guaranteed but for vested veterans who are on a team's roster on week 1, they can claim termination pay equal to the remaining salary for the year. So if they are cut, they can get paid anyway. That ability can only be used once per career so there might be players out there who have already used it and who could be cut after week 1. 

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That's a horrifically bad move. Hackenberg sucked his last couple years in college, then was overdrafted. He couldn't get on the field for a Jets team desperate for a QB. Then when he does get some playing time this preseason he sucks as usual. 

Yeah, he's not a NFL caliber player but it just the practice squad.

I would have loved to see Cardale Jones on the PS, he has the physical skills but needs some refinement.

Archived