Type 2 diabetes

Jason

So I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  We caught it early, my fasting blood sugar is in the mid 130s and my A1C is 6.5.  So it's manageable with diet and exercise.  My doctor wants me to cut out sugar, and cut back on high starch foods.  Most of it is manageable.  I don't mind whole grain bread and pasta, and brown and wild rice.  But I LOVE Code Red Mt Dew and Cadbury eggs.  The exercise will also be a bit painful.  He wants me to get in 10000 steps a day, but I have arthritis in my left hip and right knee so that much walking is painful.  And I can't take tramadol and go to work.  It doesn't really affect me, but my work place has a policy on controlled substances, even with a prescription.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

but my work place has a policy on controlled substances, even with a prescription.

Don't you work for a pharmaceutical company?

Anyway, do you have access to a swimming pool? It's good exercise and easy on arthritic joints. 

5 hours ago, Elflocko said:

Don't you work for a pharmaceutical company?

Anyway, do you have access to a swimming pool? It's good exercise and easy on arthritic joints. 

Yes

No. But I have been thinking about joining a gym.

Just a few words.   Get a second opinion on cutting sugar out by replacing that with sugar substitutes.  I am practically sugar free with few minor exceptions.   I thought I was doing great.   My doctor thinks I'm not and told me to limit sugar intake but not rely on substitutes.  In other words my blood sugar was whack when I had my last exam. 

Archived