Bengals vs Colts: the Good, Bad, and Ugly

I didn't get to see it all, but from what I saw, our defense basically sucked except for the last quarter and a half. The Colts drove the ball on us almost at will the entire first half and the expected pass rush we thought we'd have for most of the game never really materialized. Yeah, we got two sacks, but the Colts oline is supposed to be worse than ours, and that's saying something. And our dline was supposed to be epic.

Still, seeing Mixon cut loose for almost 100 yards rushing was sweet, plus his receiving yards. Green's fumbles sucked, but LOL @ anyone reading into that like "Man, Green can only catch balls on the sideline" or "We should have drafted Julio Jones". You can't throw the ball to your #1 all the time no matter whom you are. Green had what, two fumbles all last season? LOL...yeah...fumble prone, that guy. Can't be trusted. 

Dalton played mostly well, the line wasn't terrible. Run game was pretty good. Passes got spread around. All good. We won, it was sometimes ugly, but sometimes NFL games are. On to beating the "OMG, they are so scary because they destroyed the Bills" Ravens.

3 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

What I wore at home today:

Untitled.jpg

The real beauty of this picture (besides Amish looking...NOT Amish and being a super handsome guy) is over his shoulder. Andy Dalton patting Luck on the helmet after the game like "There, there, young Padwan...soon you too shall embrace the Force of Mediocrity".

Gooder?: Eifert & Ross

Tyler One was productive enough at 3 for 44yds.  Hardly spectacular, but he showed up even though I imagine he was assigned to block more than we'd prefer. You can't help but notice he looks a little stiff out there. Have to keep in mind he's had the back surgery(s?) etc; expecting 2015 Eifert isn't fair. He did what a typical NFL TE does & that was good enough. 

Ross caught a TD, yeah his only catch of the game but so what? It's not like he was targeted much beyond that.  The burst he showed on the play is going to be nice to have in the red zone.

I've not been a fan of either recently but it was a good start to the season for both. 

Ross was only targeted twice all day.  Glad to see him catch the TD and finally be able to contribute.  It should help his confidence and provide him something to build on going forward.  

Eifert caught all three of his targets and also drew a PI penalty on one of our second half scoring drives.  Nothing special about his performance, but having him on the field at all is good to see.  If there's anyone due some injury luck it's him.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Gooder?: Eifert & Ross

Tyler One was productive enough at 3 for 44yds.  Hardly spectacular, but he showed up even though I imagine he was assigned to block more than we'd prefer. You can't help but notice he looks a little stiff out there. Have to keep in mind he's had the back surgery(s?) etc; expecting 2015 Eifert isn't fair. He did what a typical NFL TE does & that was good enough. 

Ross caught a TD, yeah his only catch of the game but so what? It's not like he was targeted much beyond that.  The burst he showed on the play is going to be nice to have in the red zone.

I've not been a fan of either recently but it was a good start to the season for both. 

Ross is a first round single digit pick.  It was a great throw by Andy, an ok route be Ross.  Other than 1 play, Ross was a ghost.  Totally ineffective.  No way you can call his contribution good. Erickson could have easily run that 3 yard route.

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Ross is a first round single digit pick.  It was a great throw by Andy, an ok route be Ross.  Other than 1 play, Ross was a ghost.  Totally ineffective.  No way you can call his contribution good. Erickson could have easily run that 3 yard route.

the TD was better than him dropping it...  so whatever 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I'll take one catch for 3 Yards and a TD every game.

Finally got a chance to sort through my thoughts:

1. I am super not used to seeing the Bengals get down , keep getting down, playing from behind and winning - especially on the road. I am not sure how resiliency happens, but that was resilient yesterday and that's not something we usually get from a Marvin team, even the good ones. 

2. Bullock earned a lot of rope from me with the kick to put them up four, I was sure he was going to miss that, the Colts got good pressure, but he got it away and it made a huge difference, keeping the Colts from simply needing to get in range at the end of the game.

3. I wondered how much intel Hewitt gave the Colts which may have caused the passing game some problems. Felt to me like the Colts were in the right defensive sets for our looks way more than I would have expected - and I suspect it is one of the reasons we didn't see much from Boyd and Ross - since Andy does so much pre-snap reads - I suspect Indy did a good job pre-snap driving him away from those options and forcing him to the run game.

4. Which leads me to...the run game. Nice to see it is indeed there. Mixon was decisive and looked the part of a #1 back. Giddyup. 

5. I thought Redmond was more than adequate, even maybe good. Other than Price's dealing with his first real baptism and struggling in the first quarter (and then getting better), I was pretty pleased with four of the five spots. As for RT, I really think they need to address that now, in-house. I would rather see Fisher there than Hart, but maybe that's just me.

6. Green, for as great as he truly is, has had some awful fumbles in his career, and more than just a handful. He has to make awareness and ball security a priority. That game turned early on his fumble. If he doesn't fumble there, the entire first half plays out differently.

7. Helluva an effort from Dalton to save the initial pick-6. Massive play, as the game played out. As for Dalton, solid game, and I did like that he seemed to be trying to keep his eyes downfield a few times as the pocket broke down. Not always successful, but at least not the immediate tuck and run of last year.

8. I guess I am still processing that the team actually made adjustments at halftime. Especially defensively. About time. 

Feels like a huge weight off the shoulders to be 1-0 right now. Especially since that appeared to be a vintage Andrew Luck. Beating a premier QB on the road is enormous. Onward.

42 minutes ago, membengal said:

Finally got a chance to sort through my thoughts:

1. I am super not used to seeing the Bengals get down , keep getting down, playing from behind and winning - especially on the road. I am not sure how resiliency happens, but that was resilient yesterday and that's not something we usually get from a Marvin team, even the good ones. 

2. Bullock earned a lot of rope from me with the kick to put them up four, I was sure he was going to miss that, the Colts got good pressure, but he got it away and it made a huge difference, keeping the Colts from simply needing to get in range at the end of the game.

3. I wondered how much intel Hewitt gave the Colts which may have caused the passing game some problems. Felt to me like the Colts were in the right defensive sets for our looks way more than I would have expected - and I suspect it is one of the reasons we didn't see much from Boyd and Ross - since Andy does so much pre-snap reads - I suspect Indy did a good job pre-snap driving him away from those options and forcing him to the run game.

4. Which leads me to...the run game. Nice to see it is indeed there. Mixon was decisive and looked the part of a #1 back. Giddyup. 

5. I thought Redmond was more than adequate, even maybe good. Other than Price's dealing with his first real baptism and struggling in the first quarter (and then getting better), I was pretty pleased with four of the five spots. As for RT, I really think they need to address that now, in-house. I would rather see Fisher there than Hart, but maybe that's just me.

6. Green, for as great as he truly is, has had some awful fumbles in his career, and more than just a handful. He has to make awareness and ball security a priority. That game turned early on his fumble. If he doesn't fumble there, the entire first half plays out differently.

7. Helluva an effort from Dalton to save the initial pick-6. Massive play, as the game played out. As for Dalton, solid game, and I did like that he seemed to be trying to keep his eyes downfield a few times as the pocket broke down. Not always successful, but at least not the immediate tuck and run of last year.

8. I guess I am still processing that the team actually made adjustments at halftime. Especially defensively. About time. 

Feels like a huge weight off the shoulders to be 1-0 right now. Especially since that appeared to be a vintage Andrew Luck. Beating a premier QB on the road is enormous. Onward.

All good observations...

But there is another one--we are 1-0,  and playing someone at home that just throttled their opponent, so there is a bit of possible hangover for the Ravens.   So after next Tuesday, we have the possibility of having the Bengals leading the division early.    And after that laughter of a game between the Clowns and the Squeels, which is pathetic on both of them (CLE couldn't take advantage of 5 takeaways,  PIT let CLE stay in the game ans still can't close the deal),  I will be greatly disappointed if the Bengals don't take advantage...

Right now, we're the #6 seed based on the 7th-tier tiebreaks, ""Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed"  Baltimore beats us for the division based on them being #1 in offense and #3 in defense (1+3 = 4) while we're #3 and #9 (3+9 = 12).  We are the #6 seed because we finish behind the Eastern Division 2nd place team (NEP or MIA, coinflip) 10 vs 12, but ahead of KCC 12 vs 15.

Linky: https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tiebreaking-procedures

AFC Playoffs:

1 - BAL (1-0) division champ, 4 conference rank

2 - MIA/NEP coinflip winner (1-0) division champ, 10 conference rank

3 - JAX (1-0) division champ, 15 conference rank, 27 league rank, 5 net points

4 - DEN (1-0) division champ, 15 conference rank, 27 league rank, 3 net points

5 - MIA/NEP coinflip loser (1-0) wildcard, 10 conference rank

6 - CIN (1-0) wildcard, 12 conference rank

Missed out: KCC (1-0), 15 conference rank

NFC Playoffs:

1 - WAS (1-0) division champ, 6 conference rank

2 - MIN (1-0) division champ, 9 conference rank

3 - CAR (1-0) division champ, 13 conference rank

4 - LAR (0-0) division champ, 16 conference rank

5 - GBP (1-0) wild card, 13 conference rank, 28 league rank

6 - PHI (1-0), wild card, 13 conference rank, 29 league rank

Missed out: TBB (1-0), 16 conference rank

5 hours ago, membengal said:

Redmond and Hart were our two lowest rated players. Between the two they allowed 10 pressures and helped Margus Hunt almost match his career sack yesterday. Not sure which game you watched.

Archived