It's just one game so I'm trying not to overreact.  I felt like for the most part the D-Line (minus Carlos) was nowhere to be found for most of the day.  The part that was unnerving was...it's the Colts.  Based on last year our line should have dominated the Colts, but truth be told Luck seemed to have all day back there.  True, they ran a lot of quick stuff which negates the pass rush, but there were plenty of plays where Luck stood back there scratching his balls and surveying the entire field with very little pressure.

Geno:  he had a sack, but overall he was invisible.  I only watched him vs. Nelson once that I can remember and Geno got absolutely bodied.  Quentin Nelson may end up being a great guard, he was hyped up before the draft like no other.  I was just hoping that being his first game ever in the NFL that Geno would have had more of an impact.

Willis/Hubbard/Billings:  They weren't on the inactive list I don't think.  I think I saw Willis get a pressure and Hubbard ran into the pile as a fullback on Mixon's TD.  Other than that there weren't many positive plays from this group

MJ:  Played WAY too many plays.  May as well get the young guys in there

Lawson:  I don't remember him doing too much either off of the edge

Glasgow:  I saw him get held once...of course it wasn't called.  I'm sure they were all being held.

Overall, I still have high hopes for this group this year, it was just a disappointing start to the season versus maybe the weakest O-line we'll see this year.  They've got plenty of time to turn it around and despite the bad showing, we still got the W.  Carlos was big in that game and Geno did get a sack.  Hopefully we get more pressure against Baltimore because their offense looks a little better than it did last year.  

15 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

You're definitely overreacting, the dline played well. You can't judge their performance on one stat, which might be the most over rated stat for any defensive player. 

They played the run well and put consistent pressure on Luck despite getting held all game long. 

Cool, maybe my expectations were a little too high after the good preseason they had.  

Totally over-reacting. They pressured and hit Luck all day. He's a fantastic qb who moves well in the pocket and gets rid of the ball, in a gameplan geared toward the short pass. Not sure what else they could have done? They sacked him twice, hit him a ton, and courted getting a fuckin' flag every time they did hit him.

44 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Also, give the Colts game plan some credit....the ball was coming out of Lucks hand fast and furious....tough to generate a bunch of sacks when the ball is coming out that fast.

Yep, and usually to wide open receivers 8 yards downfield.  Losing William's early and Iloka permanently was a glaring issue yesterday. Our corners did fine but the play from the safeties was pretty bad.  Fej saved us at the end but the Colts were walking right down the field until the strip 6 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Also, give the Colts game plan some credit....the ball was coming out of Lucks hand fast and furious....tough to generate a bunch of sacks when the ball is coming out that fast.

Didn't help that we are minus Burfict and Brown was out too. The quick passing game gets a lot easier when you have lesser LB's under the routes.

Luck got touched a lot.

37 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yep, and usually to wide open receivers 8 yards downfield.  Losing William's early and Iloka permanently was a glaring issue yesterday. Our corners did fine but the play from the safeties was pretty bad.  Fej saved us at the end but the Colts were walking right down the field until the strip 6 

That kind of ending usually plays out in reverse for us. We be the ones driving and turn the ball over with defense taking it in. Good luck seems to play a factor in many close games at the end. Hopefully this is a season of lucky breaks for us.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Totally over-reacting. They pressured and hit Luck all day. He's a fantastic qb who moves well in the pocket and gets rid of the ball, in a gameplan geared toward the short pass. Not sure what else they could have done? They sacked him twice, hit him a ton, and courted getting a fuckin' flag every time they did hit him.

I agree.  The game almost looked to me like Luck and some other guys out there, too.  The Play of the Day on the post game show was announced and I sat back waiting to see Fej's forced fumble and long jaunt for a TD.  No, it was Luck's first (td?) pass.  Are you kidding me?

Carlos had two sacks, one of which forced a fumble, flagged for bogus roughness calls.

I wondered if part of the game plan with the short passes at an open middle of the field was because the rap on Preston Brown was he could not cover the pass which proved correct.  Jordan Evans gave up a td in coverage when he was a total mis match with the guy he was responsible for.

33 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yep.

I will give credit to the Colts.  Luck got rid of the ball quickly on the majority of drop backs and their line was better than expected.  I focused on Quentin Nelson frequently and he looks like the real deal.  Ryan Kelly also had a good game.  Their tackles weren't very good but they gave them help with their TE/RB most of the game.  The game plan was smart and it neutralized our pass rush most of the game.

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I will give credit to the Colts.  Luck got rid of the ball quickly on the majority of drop backs and their line was better than expected.  I focused on Quentin Nelson frequently and he looks like the real deal.  Ryan Kelly also had a good game.  Their tackles weren't very good but they gave them help with their TE/RB most of the game.  The game plan was smart and it neutralized our pass rush most of the game.

Agree. The referee's overprotection of Luck probably made our big boys a little gun shy too.

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and agree with the original poster.  Maybe I got my expectations outta sorts with all the hype about our D-Line and how bad the Colts O-Line was supposed to be.  I'm not just talking about sack and QB pressure stats either.  I just didn't see our D-Line dominate like I expected/hoped, but maybe I just need to give more credit to the Colts, their O-Line, and their game planning.  Good point about the conditioning though...part of my expectations were based on our ability to rotate multiple players...and that didn't seem to be as much of an advantage as I had expected/hoped either.  Maybe after a couple more games the rotation will start reaping more benefits than it did yesterday.

5 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and agree with the original poster.  Maybe I got my expectations outta sorts with all the hype about our D-Line and how bad the Colts O-Line was supposed to be.  I'm not just talking about sack and QB pressure stats either.  I just didn't see our D-Line dominate like I expected/hoped, but maybe I just need to give more credit to the Colts, their O-Line, and their game planning.  Good point about the conditioning though...part of my expectations were based on our ability to rotate multiple players...and that didn't seem to be as much of an advantage as I had expected/hoped either.  Maybe after a couple more games the rotation will start reaping more benefits than it did yesterday.

The D was out there A Lot in the first half if I remember correctly. I thought I remember a stat saying Indy offensive snaps compared to ours waa something like 44 to 2o or so at one point.

Archived