2 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Dalton 265 yds & 4 TD's

Mixon 84 yds rushing

Boyd 91 yds receiving

Bullock 2 for 2

Defense gets a few turnovers

2-0, #1 in AFCN

Good stuff

Yeah, they let the Ravens back in for a second or two in the second half, but I don't see how you can complain about that win. Two good weeks where the boys showed some cajones and put the game away.

The defense was very impressive today, despite the scoreboard/stat-line. 

There is no way they should have been back on the field in any significant way at the end of the first half, but for whatever reason Marvin "Let's just get to the dressing room" Lewis lost his mind and didn't kill the clock *at all*.  I like an aggressive style as much as the next guy, but you have to make them take at least one time out, I mean my god. 

The first TD should have been 3, but the refs made the total BS interference call.  The second TD was yet another BS PI call, and again would have likely been 3 at best if not for the call.

On to the second half where the refs make a complete BS holding call on Redmond, then let the Ravens absolutely rape Billings on the very next series, leading to their only significant play and more points.  Now it looks like the "tilt" is fully on.  But then something happened.  The defense stood up and said "fuck this", and finished this game off.  Yeah, their deep pass defense needs to be more lock-down, but I view the two big whiffs as quite a bit of luck for the Ravens, and easily fixable (ok, Dre's  ball skills are what they are but at least he can stay with a guy rather than get burned completely).

Most impressive was the d-line who looked completely different than last week.  They hammered the Ravens line all day and the secondary was overall pretty impressive as well.

Terrell Suggs was no factor in this game. In fact the right side of the O line was not even an issue. Furthermore rookie play from Bates and Hubbard was outstanding. I don't think we've had two rookies contribute to a win this early in the season like this since Dalton/AJ Green.

8 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

Terrell Suggs was no factor in this game. In fact the right side of the O line was not even an issue. Furthermore rookie play from Bates and Hubbard was outstanding. I don't think we've had two rookies contribute to a win this early in the season like this since Dalton/AJ Green.

I was underwhelmed when they drafted Hubbard, even as a buckeye fan. I thought he was a big fish in a little pond type player in college and wouldn't be much in the NFL. So far, I was way off. I knew he had a motor, but underestimated what he could do with it at the next level.

8 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

That just goes to show you how horrible Ced and Fisher are. We replace Ced with a very average at best Hart and Fisher with Glenn and the difference in play was significant.  Last year Mixon never had time to let the play develop.

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That just goes to show you how horrible Ced and Fisher are. We replace Ced with a very average at best Hart and Fisher with Glenn and the difference in play was significant.  Last year Mixon never had time to let the play develop.

Ogbuhei must be the highest paid inactive player in the NFL.

9 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Ogbuhei must be the highest paid inactive player in the NFL.

I'm trying to understand why they kept him on the roster.  I'm guessing inactives don't earn a game check, so they aren't paying him any more than the dead money they would've owed him either way.  In that sense it doesn't cost them much of anything to keep him.  I'd like to think our roster space has value of its own, like it's one more player with a possible future we could've kept around.  They must see him as equal to whatever backup-level OT's are available, or at least think they can sign a replacement in week 12 or whatever if needed that's just as good as the ones on the market right now.

I think they should consider the hidden costs of keeping a low-effort first round bust on the team, but it's not my call.  I can only suppose it's worth a lot of Good Boy points in Redeemer's accounting.

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm trying to understand why they kept him on the roster.  I'm guessing inactives don't earn a game check, so they aren't paying him any more than the dead money they would've owed him either way.  In that sense it doesn't cost them much of anything to keep him.  I'd like to think our roster space has value of its own, like it's one more player with a possible future we could've kept around.  They must see him as equal to whatever backup-level OT's are available, or at least think they can sign a replacement in week 12 or whatever if needed that's just as good as the ones on the market right now.

I think they should consider the hidden costs of keeping a low-effort first round bust on the team, but it's not my call.  I can only suppose it's worth a lot of Good Boy points in Redeemer's accounting.

As a first-round pick, his salary is practically fully guaranteed. From his 3M cap hit, we gain only 600K in cap space if we cut him: https://overthecap.com/player/cedric-ogbuehi/3869/

We have plenty of cap space still available, but this year would be a good year to roll over cap space with potential extensions for the 2016 draft class coming up. We can wait 1 more year on WJ3 by giving him the 5th-year option before extending (like we did with AJ Green), but the next offseason is the end of the 3rd season, which is the ideal time to extend any other rookie contracts (probably at least one of Boyd, Vigil, and Billings). I think we extended Andy Dalton and Shawn Williams after their 3rd years.

1 minute ago, SlantNGo said:

As a first-round pick, his salary is practically fully guaranteed. From his 3M cap hit, we gain only 600K in cap space if we cut him: https://overthecap.com/player/cedric-ogbuehi/3869/

So it comes back to the question of why not keep one of those rookies that didn't suck.  You don't keep rotten eggs in your fridge just because you already paid for them.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So it comes back to the question of why not keep one of those rookies that didn't suck.  You don't keep rotten eggs in your fridge just because you already paid for them.

Still think it might have something to do with getting a comp pick for a first rounder if we cut him after the season.

We all know Mike loovvves those comp picks.

Archived