The Beautiful, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Ravens at home Edition

39 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hubbard flashed his potential in the first half and it's going to be hard to keep him off the field.

I agree.  I was skeptical (but hopeful) of the pick but he looks like the real kahootie now.  Very nice.

Michael Johnson may be out for awhile so we may see more of Hubbard.  That would be a good thing.

Very impressed with Hubbard.  Looks like Lawson may have some competition for playing time.  Hubbard looked a lot more like a 3 down DE than Lawson does.  Frankly, it looks like the league knows about Lawson.  He needs to add some variety to his game.  Appears to be a one trick pony at this point.  While Billings wasn't making a bunch of plays, I saw him occupying two blockers many times. The Bengals were also playing a lot of inexperienced LBs.  They did pretty well.  Look forward to getting Burfict back in a couple weeks.

Love this thread and the comments.

Little to add and but perhaps a bit of Sour Apples Harry

The Good...

Jason got to watch the game.  Upgrade to Great if minimal or no damage from Florence.

As far as officiating ...

I thought A.J. fumbled an early reception and it was not called.

Agree wholeheartedly with the poster who said after Carlos's bullshit call for landing with his full weight on Luck he altered his play a bit to avoid it happening again and Flippo was making plays going down when he would have otherwise been road kill on the turf.

Preston Brown never misses a game in his entire career but misses his second regular season game as a Bengal.  Hope he recovers soon but I was impressed with Nickerson making the best of his playing time.  

Waiting for an update on Price's injury.  At least there is ten days until the next game.

Sorry... but I saw the return of Marvin Ball.  The last couple minutes of the first half were atrocious.  The 14 second possession gave the Starlings the ball back with waayyy too much time and you knew that was going to bite them in the ass.  A Marvin time out negated a penalty at the goal line that would have pushed the Rats back even farther.  

The beginning of the second half they came out brain dead, the infamous Marvin half time adjustments.  They allowed a team they had thoroughly beaten to look like they were going to get back in it.  I/we have seen FAR too much of that in Marvin's tenure.

Also bad on a personal level... I had to stay home from the game with a flare up of side effects of some recent surgery.  But did enjoy it on TV and no drive home late in traffic.

So onward and upward.

Get Well Billy and others.

Who Dey

10 hours ago, Numbers said:

Beautiful:  first half 

Good:  Mixon, Boyd

Bad:  Price hurt, Redmond unable to control his assignment

Ugly:  letting the Raven's back in the game 

Not sure where to put Ross in this list.   On one hand he gave us great field position for the field goal but that was it.  Not sure how long Green can continue to get smothered without a threat on the other side.   Although Boyd certainly looks viable I would have hoped for Ross to be there too. 

Beautiful: Best record in the NFL outright.

Good: Rookies getting to play and  contributing for a change. And resilience.

Bad: Not one single holding call on the rats, yet a ticky tack call on Hopkins.

Ugly: Dre. And using an apostrophe for plurals.

Both Ravens scores in the 1st half shouldn't have happened, IMO.  Bates allowed a 45 yard completion on the first scoring drive because he tried for a pick instead of just knocking the ball away.  It was third down and they would have punted had he just made the simple play instead of trying for the spectacular one.  The second drive was gifted to the Ravens with a combination of poor clock management and a sketchy penalty on Dre.  

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Both Ravens scores in the 1st half shouldn't have happened, IMO.  Bates allowed a 45 yard completion on the first scoring drive because he tried for a pick instead of just knocking the ball away.  It was third down and they would have punted had he just made the simple play instead of trying for the spectacular one.  The second drive was gifted to the Ravens with a combination of poor clock management and a sketchy penalty on Dre.  

I thought the penalty was for offensive PI that got negated by Marvin's awesome timeout?

I didnt think Dre played that bad.  Shitty PI call, circus catch of a perfectly thrown ball are hard to defend.  Made a couple of good plays late in the game to break up passes.

Dont get me wrong, I am not getting his Jersey unless I find it at TJ Maxx for $15.

11 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I thought the penalty was for offensive PI that got negated by Marvin's awesome timeout?

That also happened, part of the bad clock management I mentioned.  Not only did we give them the ball back after a 14 second drive, but Marvin used a timeout that negated a penalty on Baltimore.  Dre was called for a ticky tack grab that put the ball at the one yard line.  In fact, the Ravens twice had the ball put at the one after questionable calls.

34 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Go here; https://www.nfl.com/apps

Download NFL APP.  Once downloaded, the link for the game shows on the front page.   Should you not see the link, go click on "MORE" in the bottom right of your screen.  Then click on NFL network and you're there.   Pretty nifty little APP. 

I left my laptop charger at school so I ended up watching this way as well when my laptop died. I was impressed how well it worked.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I left my laptop charger at school so I ended up watching this way as well when my laptop died. I was impressed how well it worked.

You can do the same with the Yahoo Football app.  Funny thing is I only think it works on a phone.  Can't use it on a tablet, at least not on my iPad. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Good to know

I will try it on my Galaxy Tab tablet.   Maybe its an iOS thing.  Have a Samsung phone.   Won the iPad so I was kind of excited to see what it looked like but no dice.  Ended up using free trial of FuboTv.  Nice app.  Should have saved it for the first week of March Madness though. 

45 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

...but Marvin used a timeout that negated a penalty on Baltimore...

...and if Baltimore had scored a TD on that play, Marvin would have been lauded for calling the time-out.  Obviously Marvin (or someone in the booth) saw something that looked to be a problem with our defensive alignment.  So he called a timeout,  It was NOT the wrong thing to do.

I'm not sure if Marvin or Lazor is to blame for the 14-second drive.  I like the idea of going for another score, but if you don't run it on first down and it's an incomplete pass, you HAVE to run it on second down.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That also happened, part of the bad clock management I mentioned.  Not only did we give them the ball back after a 14 second drive, but Marvin used a timeout that negated a penalty on Baltimore.  Dre was called for a ticky tack grab that put the ball at the one yard line.  In fact, the Ravens twice had the ball put at the one after questionable calls.

Very true on all of the above.  I don't absolutely hate the going for the kill shot at the end of the 2nd half, but the 2nd down play should have probably been a run to force them to use one of the timeouts, especially since the refs gave them one on the weddle "Interception" call.  Had they not changed it to an interception, the ratbirds would have had to challenge the call, and would have lost a timeout.

8 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

especially since the refs gave them one on the weddle "Interception" call.  Had they not changed it to an interception, the ratbirds would have had to challenge the call, and would have lost a timeout.

Yeah WTF was that? The ref ruled it incomplete and the other ref came over and talked / bullied him into calling it a pick.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I didnt think Dre played that bad.  Shitty PI call, circus catch of a perfectly thrown ball are hard to defend.  Made a couple of good plays late in the game to break up passes.

Dont get me wrong, I am not getting his Jersey unless I find it at TJ Maxx for $15.

I agree.  Dre is OK.  Not great, but OK.  His ball skills are poor, but he does cover and tackle pretty well.  As a #2 CB you could do a lot worse.

Marvin as a gameday coach still sucks. 

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree.  Dre is OK.  Not great, but OK.  His ball skills are poor, but he does cover and tackle pretty well.  As a #2 CB you could do a lot worse.

Marvin as a gameday coach still sucks. 

There are a lot of team that would love to have Dre.  Reality is Dre and Dennard have been pretty good corners for us.  No they  havent been Patrick Peterson, Jalen Ramsey or Xavier Rhodes but all you need to do is look at what Ryan Fitzmagic did to the right side of the Saints defense last week to realize we are actually in pretty good shape.  Keep in mind the Saint have Mershon Lattimore who is a damn fine corner but he is surrounded by garbage. 

In the 2018 version if the NFL, you can NOT have a week corner start or you are gonna give up a ton of yards. 

Archived