Injury updates

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Good news that the Price injury isnt more serious. 10 days off I would think would be enough to heal up from a sprained ankle.

That depends.  If you've ever sprained your ankle it can be a week or two or six to eight.  Hope he has the kind that heals quickly.

Report: Joe Mixon may need knee scope

Posted by Josh Alper on September 14, 2018, 4:41 PM EDT

Getty Images

Bengals running back Joe Mixon was able to return to Thursday night’s game after hurting his knee and his 84 yards helped the team move to 2-0, but he may not be able to take part in Cincinnati’s next game.

NFL Media reports that the Bengals fear Mixon needs to have arthroscopic surgery to repair the injury he suffered on Thursday night. Mixon is headed for a second opinion before deciding on any course of action, however.

Until that decision is made, there’s not going to be a clear idea of how long it will be until Mixon’s able to return to action. The Bengals are in Carolina and Atlanta the next two weeks before returning home for games with the Dolphins and Steelers.

Giovani Bernard, fourth-round pick Mark Walton and Tra Carson are the other backs on the 53-man roster in Cincinnati.

The Bengals are also expected to be without defensive end Michael Johnson for the next few weeks. Johnson sprained his MCL in Thursday’s win.

36 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not ideal but that is best case scenario for a procedure in terms of missing time. Also the coaches have a few extra days to come up with a gameplan for a few weeks that incorporates Gio’s strengths. And I do like what Carson showed in pre-season.

Yup. Absent Mixon, we really do need to alter what we do on offense with Gio. We have to maximize his touches in space and minimize his carries between the tackles (especially to the right side). Sprinkle in some Carson for the tough yards and we should be all right.

Our defense is going to have to be HUGE against Cam and the Panthers. Tough matchup without Mixon on offense. Hopefully Price and Brown are fully recovered and able to play. That'll help a lot, especially with Price in there. I didn't notice a HUGE dropoff in line play without Price, but I thought his absence was felt.

56 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not ideal but that is best case scenario for a procedure in terms of missing time. Also the coaches have a few extra days to come up with a gameplan for a few weeks that incorporates Gio’s strengths. And I do like what Carson showed in pre-season.

Don't forget about Walton.

58 minutes ago, membengal said:

I want to see more of Good Night John Boy Walton.

And I guess we will.

21 minutes ago, membengal said:

What I saw from Walton this pre-season didn’t give me any confidence that he’s ready to help. Carson is.

This is where I'm at.  Admittedly pre-season is such a crap shoot with mismatches of various levels of backups, efforts, etc. so it's probably not the best indicator though.

This really sucks though.  Mixon was a beast with an attitude last night.  Loved it.  I keep telling myself that the injuries could have all been worse, but it doesn't help much. 

Sucks for Mixon, but at least it's not season ending.  Schefter tweeted that he's having a loose body removed which is causing him pain.  That's better than cartilage or meniscus damage.  Hopefully he's ready to go in 2-4 weeks and we can survive his absence.  Gio has played this role before and Carson will need to step up.  They will need to lean more on Andy and the passing game obviously but this could have been much worse.

Archived