Injury updates

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Sucks for Mixon, but at least it's not season ending.  Schefter tweeted that he's having a loose body removed which is causing him pain.  That's better than cartilage or meniscus damage.  Hopefully he's ready to go in 2-4 weeks and we can survive his absence.  Gio has played this role before and Carson will need to step up.  They will need to lean more on Andy and the passing game obviously but this could have been much worse.

Where do you think the "loose body" likely came from?

40 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Where do you think the "loose body" likely came from?

I'm not a medical professional so I honestly don't know.  You hear it more commonly in baseball with pitchers in their elbows.  I have read that a cartilage or meniscus tear is a more invasive surgery with longer recovery time.  The torn material can be clipped off and removed or it can be sewn back together, which actually takes longer to heal.  There's also the dreaded micro fracture surgery that Burfict had a few years back.  I am glad for Mixon that it isn't more serious because knee surgery is usually not such a short recovery time.

It's definitely a big loss, he's a special player because he has that ability to really change the scope of the offense, he adds a ton of playmaking ability.

With that said, there's nothing else that can be done at this point. Just have to make due without him until he's healthy. The depth in other areas on the team has been impressive so far, hopefully we see the same from the RB position. Plus, its not like Gio is a scrub

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm not a medical professional so I honestly don't know.  You hear it more commonly in baseball with pitchers in their elbows.  I have read that a cartilage or meniscus tear is a more invasive surgery with longer recovery time.  The torn material can be clipped off and removed or it can be sewn back together, which actually takes longer to heal.  There's also the dreaded micro fracture surgery that Burfict had a few years back.  I am glad for Mixon that it isn't more serious because knee surgery is usually not such a short recovery time.

From what I understand they don't scope knees for cartilage/meniscus tears anymore unless there is something loose or something that is causing the joint to catch.  The data about outcomes of those scopes wasn't positive. 

Any word on Preston Brown?  You know, the guy who had not missed a game in 1400 starts and didn't make it through his first game as a Bengal, inactive missing his first start for the second?

Reminds me of Ben Jarvis the Green Elephant who had never fumbled in his whole career ... until he got here.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Any word on Preston Brown?  You know, the guy who had not missed a game in 1400 starts and didn't make it through his first game as a Bengal, inactive missing his first start for the second?

Reminds me of Ben Jarvis the Green Elephant who had never fumbled in his whole career ... until he got here.

Marvin gave the impression that he likely would not have been inactive if this was a Sunday game rather than a short week. All indications are he's OK

On 9/16/2018 at 7:13 AM, High School Harry said:

It's easier to hold and not fumble a ball that is half out of air! :biggrin:

On 9/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, kennethmw said:

Just saw that surgery was successful.  he's out two to four weeks.

Has there ever been an unsuccessful surgery in the NFL?  Just asking.   It sucks he is missing next 2 away games and we still don't have Burfict back. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Has there ever been an unsuccessful surgery in the NFL?  Just asking.

Kenny Irons??  Although they probably claimed it was successful before finding out he had some strange keloid thing that would essentially end his career after more surgeries.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/17/bengals-notes-lazor-likes-finish-running-backs-injury-update/1339529002/

BROWN HAPPY TO BE HERE

Preston Brown returned to the practice field on Monday after missing Thursday’s game with an ankle injury suffered against Indianapolis. He said he probably would have played had this past week’s game been Sunday, but is hopeful to get back to his team this week.

He’s also thankful he’s not going back to his former team. After spending his first four seasons in Buffalo, Brown watched the Bills get blown out in back-to-back games, then have cornerback Vontae Davis leave the locker room and retire at halftime of their loss to the Chargers on Sunday.

Brown could only shake his head.

“Something I never thought I would hear about, but I’m glad I’m not on that team,” Brown said. “There’s some weird stuff going on up there.”

MIXON AND THE RUNNING BACK ROTATION 

Expectations following successful knee surgery on Saturday are that running back Joe Mixon will miss the next two-to-four weeks. (good call and thank you, Ken) That means an increased workload for Giovani Bernard and Tra Carson, with rookie Mark Walton activated for the first time in his career.

As for Carson, Lazor points out there was a reason they kept him over impressive second-year back Brian Hill in the preseason. They’ve seen him on this track for a while. Carson sustained an injury and missed the entire 2017 season, but carried 20 times for 77 yards and two touchdowns this preseason. He also caught six passes for 44 yards.

OTHER AILMENTS

Center Billy Price (foot) did not practice or go out to the rehab field during an hour-and-half practice session on Monday. Those aren't great signs for a player hoping to play on Sunday, but the first official injury report will come out Wednesday. 

Defensive lineman Michael Johnson (knee) did come out to practice and worked on the rehab field. 

The Bengals lose their starting center with a big road stretch coming up. 

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Sep 19, 2018, 12:21pm EDT

The Bengals will be without Billy Price for at least the next two weeks.

On Wednesday, Price told reporters that his foot injury, which has him in a walking boot, is bad enough that it will keep him out for at least two more weeks. 

That means Price will miss the next two games at Carolina and at Atlanta, and Week 5 at home vs. Miami also looks highly questionable. 

The injury in question happened against Baltimore in Week 2 on a run late in the first quarter in which he appeared to have his foot stepped on. He was down after the play before trainers came out on the field to examine him. He eventually got up and walked gingerly to the sideline for further testing before being ruled out. 

On the following Friday, head coach Marvin Lewis said it was a foot strain and he would have been “surprised he (Price) couldn’t come back in an emergency on Thursday after he was pumping up the crowd when he was walking off.”

With Price out, Trey Hopkins took over at center and played well:

Hopkins had been in a battle for the right guard spot he ultimately lost to Alex Redmond, but part of that was because the Bengals wanted Hopkins ready to come off the bench to play right guard or center. 

So for now, Hopkins is the starting center against the Panthers and Falcons. The only backup guard is Christian Westerman if either Redmond or Clint Boling goes down with an injury.

Archived