Injury updates

3 hours ago, gupps said:

Did I imagine it or were Hart's problems in the first game related to being unable to hear the snap count?

That's the rumor I heard after the Indy game.  Hart got beaten several times because he was late on the silent count.  I would think that would be fixable and Hart did play better against Baltimore.  That said, Julius Peppers can still play and Hart will have his hands full tomorrow.  

On 9/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, High School Harry said:

Rookie cornerback Donte Jackson(groin) listed as questionable. 

Jackson is a starter, so not having him against A.J. Green, John Ross and Tyler Boyd would be good news for the Bengals, who probably are going to have to win this game through the air if they’re to win in Carolina.

Carolina has one of the worst run D's so far statistically, not sure why we have to air it out?  Gio is still a pretty good RB.

38 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah, dude looked talented but raw so the lost game snaps really suck.  Team-wise it's not great either but if we had to lose a guy at least it was at a position with a little depth.

Yeah man, unfortunately the lost development time is what i was thinking as well.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/10/10/bengals-notes-preston-brown-crawl-bye-tyler-kroft-hurt-john-ross-improving/1592743002/

Cincinnati Bengals notes: Preston Brown on 'crawl' to bye, Tyler Kroft hurt, John Ross improving

Paul Dehner Jr. and Fletcher Page, Cincinnati EnquirerPublished 4:18 p.m. ET Oct. 10, 2018 | Updated 7:24 p.m. ET Oct. 10, 2018

Notebook on Preston Brown struggling with his ankle injury, Tyler Kroft showing up hurt, Matt Lengel's return, John Ross closer to playing and Vegas odds turning for Bengals.

Preston Brown can't wait for October to end.

"I'm waiting on that bye week," he said. "I'm trying to crawl my way to it."

The Bengals linebacker said he's looking forward to time off after re-aggravating his previously injured ankle in Sunday's win against the Dolphins. The injury kept Brown out for two games earlier this season, the first games he missed in his five-year career. 

Prior to that, Brown played in 65 straight games. 

"It's the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with in football," Brown said. "Just when you start to feel a little better and you get hit again, then you've got to basically start all over." 

Brown also battled a shoulder injury last week. The ankle, though, is the nagging issue he indicated he won't be 100 percent healed for some time. 

"It's kind of just hoping to maintain the strength because I'm going to five different doctors throughout the week trying to find a way to activate different muscles, do different things, different therapy, trying to find a way to get it right," he said. "Hopefully this Sunday I can play the whole game for once."

Brown played 42 snaps and had three total tackles against Miami. He had to be helped off the field in the second quarter but reappeared after having his ankle re-taped. 

The schedule ahead made Brown laugh. Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Tampa Bay – teams with, "a lot of offensive firepower these next three games," he said. "Definitely going to be tough to get through. But hopefully I can make it." 

KROFT HURT, LENGEL RETURNS

The tight end group has gone from one of the deepest in the NFL to pulling players off practice squads.

One week after Tyler Eifert was lost for the year with his ankle injury, Tyler Kroft showed up in the locker room Sunday with a boot on his right foot and using a knee scooter to keep weight off of it.

This came only minutes after the team brought Matt Lengel back from the Houston Texans practice squad. Lengel spent the 2015 and ’16 seasons in the Bengals organization, popping around on the practice squad. The Patriots eventually claimed him and he caught a touchdown pass from Tom Brady and earned a Super Bowl ring.

The Bengals opted to bring Lengel in rather than promote Jordan Franks from their own practice squad looking specifically at his size at 6-7, 266 pounds. Franks is 6-4, 240.

“Matt Lengel is a big, physical player and we play in a big, physical division,” Marvin Lewis said. “He’s a fit for us. After losing Tyler Eifert it’s a good fit for where we are. It’s an opportunity to replace the line of scrimmage blocker Tyler Eifert has always been for us when healthy. Matt is somebody we are all very comfortable with in terms of his physical play, style and, secondly, to come in and be able to get up to speed on special teams as well. We kind of know what we are getting.”

ROSS BACK, BERNARD OUT

Lewis states it pretty clearly, if you don’t practice you don’t play. That was why John Ross (groin) practicing on Wednesday was good news for his potential return against Pittsburgh. He was in a limited role, but it still puts him on a path to have only missed one game.

Ross missed last week after sustaining a groin injury against the Falcons.

Meanwhile, guard Clint Boling showed up as not practicing on Wednesday with a hip injury. He was joined in not participating by Kroft, Billy Price and Giovani Bernard. 

Bernard (MCL) continued to do work on the rehab field. Bernard is expected to miss another week or two, but Lewis said he's progressing. 

Also, limited during Wednesday's practice was Brown (ankle), William Jackson III (knee), Michael Johnson (knee) and Carl Lawson (ankle). 

VEGAS TURNING

Remember when the Bengals were 100/1 to make the Super Bowl, tied for the longest odds in the entire NFL? And they were in some cases behind the Browns posted as least likely to win the AFC North? 

That was the Bengals' line in the preseason via Bovada.lv. 

Today, the line has moved all the way to 22/1 to win the Super Bowl and they are the current favorite to win the North at 13/10. They were 28/1 to win the Super Bowl prior to last weekend's games. 

The preseason over/under in wins for the Bengals was 6.5 and they are already more than halfway home. 

Archived