Injury updates

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not top 5, but yeah.  Although I'd lean towards a more mobile QB given our OL, so someone like Wilson or Newton who are actually statistically behind Dalton (per NFL.com rankings) for the season might still be a better choice given the circumstances. 

See, that wasn't hard.  I don't agree but that is fine.  

7 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Attack me all you want - You ranked Mahones and a few other rookies ahead of Dalton based on the exact same sample size you then declared an inadequate metric for determining QB ranking. If you had facts or logic to back up your argument, you wouldn't be resorting to name calling.

No, I only had Mahones ahead.  He is obviously going to be a star and he isn't a rookie.  The fact that Andy Reid gave up a decent QB (Smith) and kept him with almost no NFL experience is all I need to know.   I had ? marks behind Trubisky, Prescott and Jimmy G.  Didn't have any rookie or second year player above Dalton other than Mahones.

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

No, I only had Mahones ahead.  He is obviously going to be a star and he isn't rookie.  The fact that Andy Reid gave up a decent QB (Smith) and kept him with almost not NFL experience is all I need to know.   I had ? mark behind Trubisky and Jimmy G.  Didn't have any other rookie or second year player above Dalton. 

Oh, well, you only used an inaccurate metric once based on your superior psychic powers. The other ones had question marks. My mistake. Carry on.

3 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Agreed.  Pics and Vids please!!!

Ummm, yeah. Unfortunately that's a real thing...

https://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=126184

14 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Oh, well, you only used an inaccurate metric once based on your superior psychic powers. The other ones had question marks. My mistake. Carry on.

No you said I had rookies like Mahones and others ahead of Dalton.  That is simply false.  There were no rookies on that list and the 3 players I put question marks behind are certainly debatable (IMHO)  to include Dak Prescott.  You can debate Stafford but I think he is better.  I don't need to be a psychic to declare that Mahones is better than Dalton, I have eyeballs. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Pure deflection.  Debate the argument, admit defeat or just don't respond.  This nothing to do with the Saints, it has to do with the defense being terrible this year and the offense being too banged up to carry the team any further.  Losing Green for a few games will be the straw that breaks the camels back just like in 2014.

"Admit defeat or just don't respond"?? "Defeat" from what? What pitched battle is involved here? If I had participated in the Nebuchadnezzar Motorized Division, then "defeat" is apropos. If you are referring to Captain Obvious notations that the defense has problems, etc. then enjoy your "victory".      

You are the Saints fan, not me. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Thank you for helping me to make my point.  KC had Mahomes for a year and knew what they had.  If the Bengals get a QB that they realize is big time, sure.  The Rams drafted Goff #1 for crying out loud.  If the Bengals get the #1 pick and a stud QB is available, sure let Dalton go. 

You are suggesting letting Dalton go with no one to replace him.  Not even close to the two scenarios you described.

No, I specifically said earlier to keep him around but find his replacement.  We have him under contract for a few more years but can get rid of him anytime starting next year.  Now firing Austin should be done 1 min after the season ends unless a dramatic change occurs. 

BTW even the mighty Aaron Rogers can’t turn a mediocre team into a Super Bowl contender.

My issue is after 9 weeks it is quite obvious we have a borderline playoff team that is now fighting serious injuries. 

16 fucking years of Marvin Lewis and the best we ever do is slightly above average. If he were a rookie coach this year I would be happy with where we are but he isn’t.

Dalton, surrounded by talent and a good defense can win games. Can he win huge games while Marvin is coaching? He never has. Thinking he can carry this walking wounded team is wishful thinking.  

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, team commons sense is alive and well.  The defense was supposed to be the side of the ball we could count on but it has turned to utter shit.  Dalton can NOT win us games with half of his key weapons out.  We can't win shootouts and running Mixon sounds great until the opposing d coordinator realizes Green, Eifert and Gio are on the bench.  They won't let Mixon run. 

Yes they will if we establish it early and often and get our oline to dig deep and play super physical. Plus, you actually CAN throw the ball to Mixon, get him into space to make people miss, etc. The key is not giving up on that philosophy if we get down 10 points early and going into full on panic mode. I recall a certain playoff game against the Jets where we were similarly hamstrung and a certain former Bengal that kept getting arrested for drunken behavior in Austin Texas averaging over 8 YPC in that game...then being abandoned in favor of interceptions.

7 hours ago, Hooky said:

They are crafty at disappointing. They won't let you totally give up on them. They'll probably beat the saints and pump everybody up before they drop the hammer.

This is also possible. Beating the Saints, feeling all special, then dropping a turd against the Ratbirds, a team we should be able to beat even without AJ Green.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Dude you claimed Alex Smith=Dalton and now you want to be taken seriously?  

"Taylor Swift is a lizard alien!  WHY WON'T YOU DEBATE ME WITH FACTS?! I WIN!"

GTFO with this nonsense, c'mon now.

Dalton is better than Smith for two reasons: he's more mobile and isn't scared of taking shots downfield. What year was it where by the end of the season the Kansas City receivers had recorded ZERO touchdowns? That's Alex Smith, not Dalton.

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Dalton is a solid B quarterback.  If the team around him is strong he is plenty good enough to win.  Do I need to list the average or worse quarterbacks that have won Super Bowls? 

Getting rid of a decent quarterback is almost always a disaster unless the team has a big time QB waiting in the wings.  In other words, it could be back to the 90s.

Please do not bring up the 1990's ever again! I am trying to forget they happened!

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

Explain to us why Andy Dalton is so much better than Alex Smith.  Do you really think the Redskins would swap Smith for Dalton?  Explain WHY.  Use the last 5 years, not Smith's early numbers before the new coverage rules went into effect. 

See above. Fuck Alex Smith.

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Stafford plays for the second worst organization in sports next to the Browns.  If you want to remove him from the list then give me 8 more who are worse than Dalton. 

That's simply not true. Raiders, Bills, Giants (with a 2 time SB winning QB!!!), etc

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

FAKE NEWS!

What the hell? How did the Lions take the number 2 spot away from us!!! Mike Brown has worked HARD to earn that spot. I hope he doesn't read this - we're fresh out of Pro-Bowl LT's to let walk.

I-Am-Tired-Of-Popcorn-Just-Brought-Some-Candy-Funny-Michael-Jackson-Meme-Image.jpg

I bet Michael Jackson candy gets you really, REALLY high. Like, not wanting to be around Ben Rothlisberger, male OR female, type of high. And make you want to sleep in coffin-like hyperbaric chambers.

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, you are just proving you are a child.  You are Dalton fan, I get it. That is all you have to say.  Dalton is a fine starting QB for the Bengals.  As long as we have a top 5 defense we might win a playoff game.  The Trent Green of the 2000 and teens.  He and Smith can open up a restaurant: Almost Burger.

Trent Green was actually a pretty good QB. Injuries cast him aside for Warner.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not top 5, but yeah.  Although I'd lean towards a more mobile QB given our OL, so someone like Wilson or Newton who are actually statistically behind Dalton (per NFL.com rankings) for the season might still be a better choice given the circumstances. 

We're okay with Dalton, as long as we don't play any Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, or playoff games. He owns the 1:00PM time slot!

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Attack me all you want - You ranked Mahones and a few other rookies ahead of Dalton based on the exact same sample size you then declared an inadequate metric for determining QB ranking. If you had facts or logic to back up your argument, you wouldn't be resorting to name calling.

BOOM.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

BTW even the mighty Aaron Rogers can’t turn a mediocre team into a Super Bowl contender.

My issue is after 9 weeks it is quite obvious we have a borderline playoff team that is now fighting serious injuries. 

16 fucking years of Marvin Lewis and the best we ever do is slightly above average. If he were a rookie coach this year I would be happy with where we are but he isn’t.

Dalton, surrounded by talent and a good defense can win games. Can he win huge games while Marvin is coaching? He never has. Thinking he can carry this walking wounded team is wishful thinking.  

This I can totally agree with and get behind.

33 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Boom

There were no rookies on my list so not sure how you can say Boom. The only newer player I said was definitely better than Dalton is Mahomes.  Andy Reid, who is a far better coach than Marvin, let Alex Smith go, that is how much faith he has in Mahomes.  

Smith has been to the playoffs 5 times, is 2-7, has thrown 14TDs, 2 INts, averaged 249 yards per game and has a rating of 97.4.   He is a FAR better prime time and playoff QB than Dalton.   

In one of the playoff losses the Chiefs scored 44 points only to have Andrew Luck perform his miracle comeback.  A game in which Smith threw 4 TDs, had 378 yards and 0 ints.

That doesn't mean Smith is great, he is just better than Dalton in crunch time. 

Dalton has 1TD, 6Ints, has averaged 218 yards per game and has a rating of  57.8 in the playoffs.  Sorry but that just isn't good. 

Sure, you can proclaim Dalton is far better than Smith but there is zero evidence to back it up.  I said they were comparable but now I have to lean toward Smith simply based on his playoff performance. 

Back when I had Sunday ticket, the Chargers were my 4:00 team. Many people said the same things about Brees then as they say about Dalton now.

Sure, I guess Dalton should have accomplished more playing for such a historically great team and coaching staff. It's entirely appropriate for us to blame him for only taking the team to the playoffs 5 times. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

There were no rookies on my list so not sure how you can say Boom. The only newer player I said was definitely better than Dalton is Mahomes.  Andy Reid, who is a far better coach than Marvin, let Alex Smith go, that is how much faith he has in Mahomes.  

Smith has been to the playoffs 5 times, is 2-7, has thrown 14TDs, 2 INts, averaged 249 yards per game and has a rating of 97.4.   He is a FAR better prime time and playoff QB than Dalton.   

In one of the playoff losses the Chiefs scored 44 points only to have Andrew Luck perform his miracle comeback.  A game in which Smith threw 4 TDs, had 378 yards and 0 ints.

That doesn't mean Smith is great, he is just better than Dalton in crunch time. 

Dalton has 1TD, 6Ints, has averaged 218 yards per game and has a rating of  57.8 in the playoffs.  Sorry but that just isn't good. 

Sure, you can proclaim Dalton is far better than Smith but there is zero evidence to back it up.  I said they were comparable but now I have to lean toward Smith simply based on his playoff performance. 

"We're okay with Dalton, as long as we don't play any Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, or playoff games. He owns the 1:00PM time slot!"

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Back when I had Sunday ticket, the Chargers were my 4:00 team. Many people said the same things about Brees then as they say about Dalton now.

Sure, I guess Dalton should have accomplished more playing for such a historically great team and coaching staff. It's entirely appropriate for us to blame him for only taking the team to the playoffs 5 times. 

Dalton hit the ground running here.  I don't blame Dalton nearly as much as I blame Marvin and Mike Brown but at the end of the day, a new coach with new personnel will have to make that decision.  If Dalton were traded to Jacksonville, that team would be dangerous. 

Are there any other owners in the league besides Mike Brown and Jerry Jones that are also GM's? I don't think there are. And frankly, that owner/GM model isn't a viable business model. I mean, it's viable for BUSINESS with revenue sharing and all. but not viable for WINNING. 

It's funny because Brown and Jones are so dissimilar but yet so the same, results-wise. Fuck both the egomaniac AND the cheap bastard.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Dalton hit the ground running here.  I don't blame Dalton nearly as much as I blame Marvin and Mike Brown but at the end of the day, a new coach with new personnel will have to make that decision.  If Dalton were traded to Jacksonville, that team would be dangerous. 

LOL. He inherited a team that went 4-12 the year prior and was widely considered to be the worst team in football. And took them to the playoffs as a rookie.

So, which is harder....building a top 10 defense or finding a great QB?  I think that question is easy.

Build the defense and keep Dalton unless a stud falls in their lap.  As SF2 states, even Aaron Rodgers can't take a mediocre team to the Super Bowl. 

36 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

LOL. He inherited a team that went 4-12 the year prior and was widely considered to be the worst team in football. And took them to the playoffs as a rookie.

There was serious speculation by some that we would go 0-16 that year. 

39 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

To be fair, that team lost 6 games by 6 points or less and had the 20th ranked offense and 15th ranked defense.  They were nowhere close to the worst team but the media certainly enjoyed proclaiming it as so.  Oh, and most of our players were wanted felons.  And we had Adam Jones.

Hey, I give huge props to what Andy and AJ Green did coming in as rookies.  Getting rid of the crybaby Ocho and Quitter only helped the team.   I actually thought TO was a damn fine player and ran great routes.  Firing the Brat and bringing in Jay Gruden was a huge help as well.  However, not firing Marvin was a huge mistake.  A new decent coach would have gotten more out of what became a very talented group of players.

12 minutes ago, Hooky said:

There was serious speculation by some that we would go 0-16 that year. 

It would be nice of the national media would spend even 20% of the time they spend on slobbering on Dallas or washing Aaron Rodgers' balls  by actually digging  a little deeper into what goes on around here.  I was listening to the radio this morning and guys were talking about the Saints verses Bengals.  The idiots didn't even realize most of our best offensive player are either on IR or out this weekend.  But damn, they sure knew everything about Kamara, Brees, Watson and Thomas.  Oh, and lets talk for 20 minutes about the incredible impact Dez will have this game after a few practices. 

One good thing is it will be high 30 to low 40s Sunday.  Drew don't like the cold. 

At this point, you're just getting silly. You have a point you're trying to make and simply ignoring all facts the the contrary. The Bengals didn't actually suck, it was just the media! After all, we had a perfectly mediocre defense with felons! How could Dalton not succeed? Grrr, I'm using statistics unless those statistics don't prove my point at which point I'll just blame ESPN! The Bengals are one of the best coached and managed teams in the NFL when you want to shit on Dalton. Two posts later Marvin Lewis is an idiot and how dare Andy Dalton not have taken us to the Super Bowl playing for him! 

Have fun with that. I'm out.

Archived