Question for the Long Time fans - Who Dey chant

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

A better question is when did the Saints steal it? I'm sure our tradition goes back further than theirs making them the copy cats

The real answer will surely make most Bengal fans question the origin once again.  Bengals Jungle actually had an accurate origin story of WhoDey.  LeTigre or one of the other Bengal Jungle immigrants can remember.   If not, here is some assistance.

In short here is a half assed answer. 

Origins:

1.  From Louisiana in 1979 Patterson High School
2.  18th century Appalachia
3.  Cinci's 1981 season
4.  Hudepohl Beer
5.  1980 Red Frazier Ford commercial  (this is the answer I have heard a lot)
6.  etc...

For a longer answer go to https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/12/05/origin-who-dey-murky-its-message-not/76617696/ for a history of WhoDey vs WhoDat…

FWIW Who owns the brand (Who Dey) ?  The Bengals do. They registered trademarks for it in 2003 and 2005.

This question appears periodically.

I though (imo) the Who Day goes way back even to Crosley Field when the beer vendors in the stands would yell things about Who Dey (Hudy/Hudepohl beer). Who wants an ice cold Who Dey, Who Dey beer here, or simply Who Dey and the fans picked it up.

Bengals fans picked it up long ago and its been here ever since.

the Saints Who Dat comes from old New Orleans blues songs like "Who dat knockin on my door?  Must be about quarter to four" that was covered by Rod Stewart decades later.

21 minutes ago, Numbers said:

FWIW Who owns the brand (Who Dey) ?  The Bengals do. They registered trademarks for it in 2003 and 2005.

...and Bengal fans in the '90s originated the phrase commonly abbreviated today as "WTF".

: no ninja :

14 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

This question appears periodically.

I though (imo) the Who Day goes way back even to Crosley Field when the beer vendors in the stands would yell things about Who Dey (Hudy/Hudepohl beer). Who wants an ice cold Who Dey, Who Dey beer here, or simply Who Dey and the fans picked it up.

Bengals fans picked it up long ago and its been here ever since.

the Saints Who Dat comes from old New Orleans blues songs like "Who dat knockin on my door?  Must be about quarter to four" that was covered by Rod Stewart decades later.

This matches my relatively old-timer recollection (~58 yrs old).  Derived from beer vendors hawking Hudepohl, and chant kinda morphed from that for Reds, Bengals, etc fans.  In high school, there was also a common saying "Let's get moody with Hudey", but in that context it rhymed with moody of course, but that's another story.  :)

When it really stuck for the Bengals is a question I can't answer, but my story (and I'm stickin' to it) is that it's originally derived from local beer vendors at sporting events being creative with their shouts.

These kinda of questions/answers always intrigue me due to variety...just goes to show that not everyone has the same window to the world, same influences, same history, etc, etc, etc.

My mother and her entire huge family were born, raised and lived in New Orleans.  None of them ever heard of Who Dat until the fans started chanting it AFTER we came up with Who Dey. 

Who Dat was not some common thing as these revisionists are trying to make it out to be. 

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

My mother and her entire huge family were born, raised and lived in New Orleans.  None of them ever heard of Who Dat until the fans started chanting it AFTER we came up with Who Dey. 

Who Dat was not some common thing as these revisionists are trying to make it out to be. 

Boom! There it is.

13 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

This matches my relatively old-timer recollection (~58 yrs old).  Derived from beer vendors hawking Hudepohl, and chant kinda morphed from that for Reds, Bengals, etc fans.  In high school, there was also a common saying "Let's get moody with Hudey", but in that context it rhymed with moody of course, but that's another story.  :)

When it really stuck for the Bengals is a question I can't answer, but my story (and I'm stickin' to it) is that it's originally derived from local beer vendors at sporting events being creative with their shouts.

These kinda of questions/answers always intrigue me due to variety...just goes to show that not everyone has the same window to the world, same influences, same history, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, it seems like the beer vendors were hawking Who Dey beer and the fans in that section picked it up as a chant and it spread throughout the stadium much like the long lost wave only with Who Dey.

AND it is the topic of a famous Harry Wadsworth Longfellow poem that goes like this: *ahem*

An Ode to a Golden Who Dey

I think I shall never hear,

A poem as lovely as a beer.

With golden base,

And frothy cap

A beer like Schusters* has on tap.

That golden brew I drink all day,

'Til my memory floats away.

Poems are made by fools, I fear,

For only WHO DEY can make a beer.

*Schusters: high school watering hole near the now gone 

Cincinnati Gardens notorious for serving underage drinkers.

Archived