The Good, Bad and Ugly Panther Piss Style

The good:

Boyd is really coming on as a 2nd receiver.

Eifert took hits and bounced right up. 

The punting game was solid.

Gio was able to produce.

The bad:

Defense in general. 230 yards on the ground-including 190 from a running back who up to this point had only run for 66 yards in a game-putrid.

Dre Kirkpatrick needs to work more on his catching skills. Supposedly he was working on that last week. 

Andy Dalton-Yes, 3 of the INTs aren't really on him but when you throw 4 INTs, you had a bad day.

Injuries-especially to Green. Hopefully he is back next week. Also, did Billings come back in?

The ugly:

Playcalling-For the love of God, take that bubble screen play behind the line of scrimmage out of the playbook. Especially if you are trying to have John Ross execute it.

John Ross in general-For whatever reason, he does not seem to have any chemistry with Andy Dalton whatsoever. I think that he's just used to "run and throw it deep and I'll catch it" and has no clue on how to adjust to balls or how to stop a CB from picking the ball off. Maybe he was never expected to do that in college but he better damn well learn to do it now. 

Shawn Williams-I think he's been hanging around Burfict too much.

Coaching-Why wasn't anyone in Williams' face after that stupid penalty or in John Ross' face after giving up on the INT?

Mulligan to Randy Bullock. 53 yard FGs are tough.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Dre Firstpatrick. The thing I find most infuriating about his antics is when a WR he's covering drops a pass and Firstpatrick waves his arms and runs around like he just saved the fucking universe.

Dre is a slightly better version of Atrell Hawkins. On 3rd and X he can always be counted on to give up a pass for x+1

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You can call a great game and still need the guys on the field to execute.

Austin started the game calling 2 deep man. The the Panthers started gashing us for yardage... So Austin started calling more Zone so that Cam and Christian wouldn't have huge open holes to run to, and the WR's started finding the holes in the zone. The LB's, as a unit were AWFUL yesterday.

I saw the stat and might be getting it wrong, but 1 hit and two hurries from our D-Line against an O-Line missing three starters? Yikes. Give me that kind of time and a run game that's chewing up 45 yards a pop and I could have won that game. 

Austin could have been the Bobby Fischer of defense yesterday... It wouldn't have mattered. Carolina runs a lot of option plays and that requires discipline. You have to keep Newton in the pocket, and we didn't. You have to control and fill the gaps, and we didn't. 230 yards on the ground doesn't happen unless the front 7 is getting their ass whipped, and they were.

And full credit to Norv Turner... He called a hell of a game. I was on my couch thinking, "Jesus, long pass on every first down?" right before McCafferty gashed us for a big run on first down. 

Carolina at home was one of our tougher games, and it should be a wake up call for the young guys who showed low effort and/or chasing their own stats at the cost of discipline. Yes, Carl, I get that you want sacks, but you can't let Cam escape the pocket.

It's delusional to think that we were going to win every game, and even the Lions whipped some Patriot ass last night. It happens... Let's judge Austin on how the team rebounds.

I see your points and agree ( +1 )

I'm just saying and suggesting that being down there with and among them may have helped. Direct communication with all the players and if some nuance or the Panther O is picked up by even one of the minor or even an offensive players was noticed he could have been clued in immediately.

I think every team in the NFL knows that without Burfict and Brown our linebackers would have a difficult time stopping a good college team.  Once through the D line relatively smooth sailing.  McCafferty and Newton proved that.  Already been discussed that Kirkpatrick and Williams are weak, Bates still learning the ropes.  Same for Hubbard to some degree.

But my thinking is the direct communication with the players might be beneficial.  At least he could grab Disco Dre by the stacking swivel and tell him to knock off the shit and Williams to STFU.  He has drawn enough penalties after the whistle to be known as a cheap shot artist and being watched by every ref from here on out.  Looks like he was baited into the call he got Sunday.

I would, however, like to see Marvin in the booth.

"Yo, Andy, Marvin called down and said clap, clap, clap."

Or disconnect the headset and microphone altogether.

Some general thoughts for conversation. 

1. How did Hopkins look? If at or near Price could Price go to LG and Boling to RT. I doubt they do it but it would make some sense. (Then again that probably already makes sense to do with Westerman). 
2. How do you get Ross to get out of his funk. He was literally punished for an entire year and is still doing the same think. He seems like there are some pretty serious mental hurdles here. He had consequences and didn't learn from them. Didn't he work with TJ for awhile? I'd be interested to see his thoughts. 
3. What in the world happened to the pass rush?
4. Why are we playing Hardy Nickerson? His knock was athleticism and Evans and Jefferson are supposed to be much faster. 
5. Why not try Fedj over Williams for the first half? Just to send a message. 
6. Can we do anything about Kirkpatrick. How do Dennard and Kirkpatrick play? Is one of them much better at the outside WR spot and one better at the slot?

6 hours ago, Hooky said:

I'm moving on. Bad match-up. But expecting similar results next week in Atlanta. Then Burdock's back and hopefully the team's healed up, everybody's back and they've pulled Ross's head out of his ass and start kicking ass again.

They are going to lose at ATL as well. No great surprises--they weren't going to win either of these, boo-boos or not.

They could beat MIA, and maybe those other guys. Or, they might not. They will either be 4-2, 3-3, or 2-4, and the season will either be over, hanging on by a thread, or in decent shape. 

Hooray for Hollywood.   

I propose we call it "3rd & Swag" in honor of Pacman Jr's Twitter handle.

As to Ross, who would trade for an undersized, low-effort bust? Not cutting him because of dead money makes zero sense. It's DEAD MONEY that means it's gone, it's already spent, it's not relevant to the decision. The only question is do you keep a shitty player on your roster? Same goes for Ced, keeping him around doesn't give you that money back. It just makes your team worse and tells all the other highly paid players you aren't willing to cut them if they slack off.

This organization is just too many kinds of soft.

Yesterday was the first game this year where the weakness at LB really cost us.  Vigil played well the first two games but he really struggled yesterday.  Same goes for Nickerson.  We really need Burfict and Brown to come back and play well.  

Offensively, Dalton did some good things yesterday but the turnovers killed us.  Gio, Boyd, and Eifert all made plays as did AJ before he went down.  The o-line was decent except for Hopkins, who looked like a guy making his first start at the position.  Considering the players who were missing and the opponent, I thought the offense performed pretty well in a tough situation. 

Hard not to single out Ross and Dre for their poor efforts yesterday.  Very costly mistakes that led to turnovers and/or points for the Panthers.  Williams also had a bad day.  The other bummer was losing Glasgow for the season.  

9 hours ago, Big Alice said:

Dre Kirkpatrick is a good - albeit overpaid - second corner.

First, I'm not sure that's true. Second, until we start matching up our Corners on WRs rather than side, even if it is true, it's irrelevant.  If I'm an opposing OC, I'm putting my best WR on Dre's side every time, and throwing his way.  ESPECIALLY on 3rd down. 

3 minutes ago, kriZENry said:

Is there a W/L stat and yards allowed when Burfict is playing vs not? Can’t wait till he’s back and hopefully in football shape. 

He hit the ground running last year so I'd expect he's more than ready to get back on the field.   I just hate holding my breath waiting for a flag every time he makes a play.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

They are going to lose at ATL as well. No great surprises--they weren't going to win either of these, boo-boos or not.

They could beat MIA, and maybe those other guys. Or, they might not. They will either be 4-2, 3-3, or 2-4, and the season will either be over, hanging on by a thread, or in decent shape. 

Hooray for Hollywood.   

Atlanta's defense is in worst shape than ours.  We can certainly hang with then.  

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Atlanta's defense is in worst shape than ours.  We can certainly hang with then.  

New Orleans put 42 on them and over 500 yards.  The problem is stopping them.  Ridley is feasting on single coverage with so much attention being focused on Julio.  Our d-line will have to get more pressure for us to stop them.

"They" is subjective. One constant, in the present day NFL, is that it is rarely descriptive of non-favored or pinball-scoring franchises. See tonight's predictable outcome contest in the Latter Day Great Sombrero. 

(But remember: I am not mentioning who "They" are--depends on the market share) 

18 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

"They" is subjective. One constant, in the present day NFL, is that it is rarely descriptive of non-favored or pinball-scoring franchises. See tonight's predictable outcome contest in the Latter Day Great Sombrero. 

Bucs quarterback, former Bengal Gabby Hayes, is on track to tie or break Aunt Bea Dalton's interception total from yesterday.

Stealers definitely head hunting.

But, yeah, predictable outcome indeed.

49 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

They can be anyone, everyone, or nothing....  In your case they are the Bengals.   Hopefully, they prove your hypothesis wrong. 

9 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I'm just saying and suggesting that being down there with and among them may have helped. Direct communication with all the players and if some nuance or the Panther O is picked up by even one of the minor or even an offensive players was noticed he could have been clued in immediately.

In this era of headsets and surface tablets... I think it's a benefit to have a guy with a bird's eye view. Position coaches can and should be able to convey any chatter.

You have roughly 40 people on the defensive side of the ball all getting the field level view. If you think that Geno's position coach can't convey important information or recognize it when he hears it, it's an argument for firing that coach. Having the D-coord in the booth means that someone can see the play really unfold. Having a 41st eye on the pay from the same angle only helps if the other 40 guys are morons.

I don't know how much time you've spent on the sidelines, but it's chaos, and you can't see the other side of the play. If it was such a great view, they'd use it for television. They'd shoot the all 22 from the 50 yard line. Heck, I just searched youtube... They have some sideline highlights, but no video of an entire play unfolding from the sideline. If the CEO can only run his business from the shipping docks, he's got some serious middle management problems.

Teryl Austin was out chess matched by Norv Turner... But give Turner some credit too. Norv's been coaching for a coons age at a high level. No shame in saying he got the better of us one day and took advantage of our 4th string LB's.

"They" won today .  Mr.  Le Tigre 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:34 PM, Le Tigre said:

Archived