The Good, Bad and Ugly Panther Piss Style

Good: It was a spectacular day at the lake.  Took the pontoon out for one more ride, got the jet skis out for the season and enjoyed the awesome weather.

Eifert caught a lot of balls.

Boyd had nice game

Glad we still have Gio.

Bad:

Pass rush was non existent for the most part. 

Panther Receivers were pee wee football wide open

Ugly:

Dre Kirkpatrick was simply horrendous.

John Ross is borderline worthless.  Cant even get separation.  I thought he was fast?

RT. No reason to elaborate.

Linebackers were HORRID in pass coverage

If the linebackers were “horrid” in pass coverage, what would you call what they did against the run?

Good: The running game. I was shocked they were able to generate anything at all on the ground.

Tyler Boyd is legit.

Andy. That’s the best four interception game I’ve ever seen. Lol. Him delivering the ball on the run was impressive.

Tyler Eifert.

Bad. Shawn Williams. Bad angles and bad penalties. It’s becoming his thing.
I

Ugly. John Ross is awful.

Putrid. The run defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Good:

Boyd

Gio....kinda

Eifert... making plays and still not dead

I want to say Andy...but can't with 4 picks..evne though i think like 3 of them shouldn't have happened 

Tiger Woods!!!!!!

Bad:

Defense....period

Ugly:

Mr. Ross.. seriously man.... dude is garbage

gives up on like every play... I hope he can turn it around.. but it doesn't look like it...

losing.... it sucks 

8 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Good:

Boyd

Gio....kinda

Eifert... making plays and still not dead

I want to say Andy...but can't with 4 picks..evne though i think like 3 of them shouldn't have happened 

Tiger Woods!!!!!!

Bad:

Defense....period

Ugly:

Mr. Ross.. seriously man.... dude is garbage

gives up on like every play... I hope he can turn it around.. but it doesn't look like it...

losing.... it sucks 

Even if Tiger had anything to do with the bengals game, I would put that under bad or who cares. Golf is a joke. Nobody cares about it unless he's playing. Golf "fans" have been desperately waiting for over 5 years for him to win something. He finally does and the celebration is larger than the WWII victory celebration.

Bad bad bad

Turnovers turnovers turnovers

Doesn't matter whose fault they were or weren't. -4 due to ints. You aren't going to beat any team ,especially one that plays great at home to begin with with that differential. Very sad, because pretty much had the edge in all the overall statistics otherwise. Gotta pull out a W somehow in Atlanta then welcome back Burfict.

The Truth:

We aren't that good.

P.S.

Time for DC Austin to get his ass out of the warm, dry, cozy booth with a cup of coffee (or something stronger as was the case yesterday)

and down on the field so he can talk to his players and find out what the fuck is going on on the field.  I lost a lot of respect for him yesterday

when he was probably the only person on the field who did not know what was going on with his defense.  For that defensive line, HID defensive

line to be handled by second stringers and him not having close to an answer was a disgrace.  Hell, my seats are closer to the field than his.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Even if Tiger had anything to do with the bengals game, I would put that under bad or who cares. Golf is a joke. Nobody cares about it unless he's playing. Golf "fans" have been desperately waiting for over 5 years for him to win something. He finally does and the celebration is larger than the WWII victory celebration.

Right up there with watching Red's baseball, a team that hasn't been relevant for 28 years.

10 hours ago, Big Alice said:

If the linebackers were “horrid” in pass coverage, what would you call what they did against the run?

Toche.  I just assumed everyone knew that.  Until we get Burfict back and up to speed our run defense will continue to suffer.  Having the Dre liability in the secondary isn't helping. 

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

lol... don't get your panties in a wad

Good: Tyler Boyd - He game is reminiscent of Housh.

Not very fast, but he somehow manages to get open quite often

What's crazy is that John Ross worked out with Housh over the summer, but Boyd looks like he has TJ's game traits more than Ross does.

Bad: Dre K - Mentioned this in another thread, if it's 3rd and long, the ball is going to whoever Dre is covering

Ugly: Blow coverages and Run defense, 3rd down defense (see above)

A couple things...

Dre Kirkpatrick is a good - albeit overpaid - second corner. The Bengals scheme on the secondary is obviously predicated on not getting beaten over the top. Save for one fluky play by John Brown in the Ravens game, they’ve accomplished that. The problem is the run defense. If you can’t get teams off schedule by stuffing the run, the underneath passing game is going to kill you. That’s what happened Sunday.

Andy played well. The first pick was a forced pass on third and long and amounted to a short punt. Pick two wasn’t a good pass, but popped straight up in the air. 3? John Ross ran the wrong route and then compounded it but pulling up. That was unforgivable. And the. Four came on a Hail Mary. Andy’s stat line looks a whole lot worse than it really was.

The run defense is completely fixable. It’s not just Burfict. Preston Brown and Vinny Rey are both banged up. Hardy Nickerson was never meant to be on the field. He is atrocious in coverage, and even worse against the run.

Bottom line is, though, this was always going to be a tough W. The Panthers are a playoff team. Going into Charlotte short handed was tough. Problem is the Bengals face the same situation next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

54 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Time for DC Austin to get his ass out of the warm, dry, cozy booth with a cup of coffee (or something stronger as was the case yesterday)

and down on the field so he can talk to his players and find out what the fuck is going on on the field.  I lost a lot of respect for him yesterday

when he was probably the only person on the field who did not know what was going on with his defense.  For that defensive line, HID defensive

line to be handled by second stringers and him not having close to an answer was a disgrace.  Hell, my seats are closer to the field than his.

You can call a great game and still need the guys on the field to execute.

Austin started the game calling 2 deep man. The the Panthers started gashing us for yardage... So Austin started calling more Zone so that Cam and Christian wouldn't have huge open holes to run to, and the WR's started finding the holes in the zone. The LB's, as a unit were AWFUL yesterday.

I saw the stat and might be getting it wrong, but 1 hit and two hurries from our D-Line against an O-Line missing three starters? Yikes. Give me that kind of time and a run game that's chewing up 45 yards a pop and I could have won that game. 

Austin could have been the Bobby Fischer of defense yesterday... It wouldn't have mattered. Carolina runs a lot of option plays and that requires discipline. You have to keep Newton in the pocket, and we didn't. You have to control and fill the gaps, and we didn't. 230 yards on the ground doesn't happen unless the front 7 is getting their ass whipped, and they were.

And full credit to Norv Turner... He called a hell of a game. I was on my couch thinking, "Jesus, long pass on every first down?" right before McCafferty gashed us for a big run on first down. 

Carolina at home was one of our tougher games, and it should be a wake up call for the young guys who showed low effort and/or chasing their own stats at the cost of discipline. Yes, Carl, I get that you want sacks, but you can't let Cam escape the pocket.

It's delusional to think that we were going to win every game, and even the Lions whipped some Patriot ass last night. It happens... Let's judge Austin on how the team rebounds.

Yesterday's game felt like a loss all week. I just didn't like the match up. Look, here's the reality. The Bengals are a good, not great team. They were playing a good team on the road without Vontaze Burfict, Joe Mixon, Michael Johnson, Preston Brown, Billy Price and for the most part, AJ Green. Can't say the loss came as a huge surprise.

Here's a couple of other things that seem to surprise people that shouldn't...

Dre Kirkpatrick sucks. He should spend less time pounding his chest and posting on Twitter and more time worrying about covering opposing wide receivers. If teams were smart, they'd target this guy all game long.

Even healthy, our linebackers rank in the bottom third of the league as a unit. This was a glaring need and one I banged the drum about all off season. They made a minor move and otherwise stood pat. You now have what you see. A below average group that gets beat on the ground and in the air.

John Ross was a terrible pick. Terrible. Nothing about his selection was good. I said that the day he was drafted. He's continued to prove me correct. 

Here's the good news. The Bengals are a solid team. They have some very strong position players in a number of areas and without question have the ability to hang with virtually any team in the league. They need to get disciplined. Get through this game in Atlanta, get some of their hurt/suspended players back and get at it. The AFCN is looking very winnable this year.

17 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Dre Kirkpatrick sucks. He should spend less time pounding his chest and posting on Twitter and more time worrying about covering opposing wide receivers. If teams were smart, they'd target this guy all game long.

And all the hair flopping around just makes his chest pounding after a meaningless play seem even more douchey. It's like a wind chill factor for douche. 

I enjoyed the first defensive & offensive series but after that everything sucked big fat rhinoceros cock. And the announcers constantly sucking Cam's greasy cock got old. I swear  right after a Bengals score they actually went back to show Cam scoring a TD from the Carolina series before. 

10 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I'm moving on. Bad match-up. But expecting similar results next week in Atlanta. Then Burdock's back and hopefully the team's healed up, everybody's back and they've pulled Ross's head out of his ass and start kicking ass again.

having Burdock and Brown out is killer.. it showed bad this week

as for Ross.. I will just be surprised and happy when/if he makes a positive play

I totally agree that beating Carolina at home was asking a lot.

That said the things that really stand out are:

John Ross, who has been with the organization for 18 months looks like a rookie in his first pre season game.  The worst thing that can happen to an organization is to miss on a single digit draft choice.  You have to pay them quite a bit of money and its guaranteed.  In Ross' case $17.1 mil over 4 years.   The dead cap NEXT year on Ross is $10.1 mil.  Fucking brutal numbers for a guy who is basically your #4 receiver and does NOTHING else.   We have almost no choice but to pray he gets better.  

The best thing that can happen is you strike gold with a 2nd round pick like Tyler Boyd.  We have him under the rookie contract for 2 more years counting this year.  That is only $837,000 for his services this year and the total risk to the club the day we signed him was a paltry $1.9 mil. 

The one thing we could do right now to make the team better is give Seattle a call and see if we can take Earl Thomas off their hands.  Real ugly situation there.  He and Burfict back would be a hell of a combo in the middle of the field.  He wants out NOW.  

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I totally agree that beating Carolina at home was asking a lot.

That said the things that really stand out are:

John Ross, who has been with the organization for 18 months looks like a rookie in his first pre season game.  The worst thing that can happen to an organization is to miss on a single digit draft choice.  You have to pay them quite a bit of money and its guaranteed.  In Ross' case $17.1 mil over 4 years.   The dead cap NEXT year on Ross is $10.1 mil.  Fucking brutal numbers for a guy who is basically your #4 receiver and does NOTHING else.   We have almost no choice but to pray he gets better.  

The best thing that can happen is you strike gold with a 2nd round pick like Tyler Boyd.  We have him under the rookie contract for 2 more years counting this year.  That is only $837,000 for his services this year and the total risk to the club the day we signed him was a paltry $1.9 mil. 

The one thing we could do right now to make the team better is give Seattle a call and see if we can take Earl Thomas off their hands.  Real ugly situation there.  He and Burfict back would be a hell of a combo in the middle of the field.  He wants out NOW.  

Ross for Thomas.. win win... lol

Archived