Bengals sign Adolphus Washington off Cowboys practice squad

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/25/bengals-sign-adolphus-washington-off-cowboys-practice-squad/

Bengals sign Adolphus Washington off Cowboys practice squad

Posted by Josh Alper on September 25, 2018, 12:14 PM EDT

The Bengals lost defensive tackle Ryan Glasgow to a torn ACL in Sunday’s loss to the Panthers and they’re making a new addition to their defensive line on Tuesday.

PFT has learned, via a league source, that the team is signing defensive tackle Adolphus Washington. Washington had been on the Cowboys practice squad.

The move brings Washington back to where he attended high school before going on to play for Ohio State. Washington was drafted by the Bills in the third round of the 2016 draft and opened this season with Buffalo, but was released after playing in their first game of the season.

Washington started 21 games over the last two seasons and recorded 56 tackles and 3.5 sacks in his 31 appearances in Buffalo.

More Buckeyes in the Queen City. 

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Updated Sep 25, 2018, 12:48pm EDT

499068746.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Another former Ohio State Buckeyes star is joining the Bengals.

According to ProFootballTalk, Adolphus Washington is being signed from the Cowboys’ practice squad to Cincinnati’s 53-man roster.

This move will likely come as Ryan Glasgow goes to season-ending injured reserve due to a torn ACL.

Washington, who starred at Ohio State from 2012-15, was a former third-round draft pick of the Bills (of course) in 2016. However, he’s had a rough start to his pro career, as he ended up being cut by the Bills one week into the 2018 season before landing on Dallas’ practice squad.

In 31 career games in Buffalo, Washington recorded 3.5 sacks, three pass deflections and 56 total tackles. He was someone the Bengals took a hard look at in 2016, especially after he grew up in Cincinnati and played at Taft High School.

The thought was Cincinnati would sign rookie fifth-round pick Andrew Brown from the practice squad to replace Glasgow, but Washington actually has experience in the NFL, something the Bengals valued more in this instance. 

Depending on how fast Washington can get up to speed in Cincinnati’s defense, he could be active as early as Week 4 vs. the Falcons, especially if Michael Johnson remains out with his knee injury. The Bengals obviously would rather have Johnson active and playing defensive tackle on passing downs, but if he’s out, the Bengals may have to activate Washington. 

Cincinnati does also have Josh Tupou, so he could be active this week after being a healthy scratch in two of the first three games. 

It looks like Washington’s former Bills teammate and now again Bengals teammate, Preston Brown, is excited about the news.

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Can he play one game and go back to our practice squad?

Maybe cut him and if he clears waivers we sign him to the practice squad.

Sea Ray was correct in a comment in another thread about having a slot open when Burfict comes back next week.

Someone has to go.

Maybe Nickerson possibly back to practice squad when Burfict comes back?

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Can he play one game and go back to our practice squad?

I don't know if this was answered elsewhere yet but, I believe the answer in short is, no. I believe a player signed from another team's Practice Squad must stay on your 53 man roster for three weeks (and receive three weeks pay). I think one of the reasons is to stop teams from signing a practice squad player off an upcoming opponent to get intel, only to cut him right after the game. I guess it also stops tons of movement on a squad that is to a degree a development team. 

11 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I don't know if this was answered elsewhere yet but, I believe the answer in short is, no. I believe a player signed from another team's Practice Squad must stay on your 53 man roster for three weeks (and receive three weeks pay). I think one of the reasons is to stop teams from signing a practice squad player off an upcoming opponent to get intel, only to cut him right after the game. I guess it also stops tons of movement on a squad that is to a degree a development team. 

hats-off-salute-smiley-emoticon.gif

So the question is who goes when Burfict returns?

Speaking of linebackers, whatever happened to Malick Jefferson?  He's been active but I've not even heard his name called on special teams.  I expected more from him or at least I hoped for more.  In preseason he seemed to bite on play actions or cut inside when the play went outside and where he should have been.

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

hats-off-salute-smiley-emoticon.gif

So the question is who goes when Burfict returns?

Speaking of linebackers, whatever happened to Malick Jefferson?  He's been active but I've not even heard his name called on special teams.  I expected more from him or at least I hoped for more.  In preseason he seemed to bite on play actions or cut inside when the play went outside and where he should have been.

My guesses would be Auden Tate, Mason Schreck, Malik Jefferson or Hardy Nickerson. I'd say Jefferson is the least likely.

I am a Longhorns fan and although I didn't watch them much last season, Jefferson always struck me as a good college player who wouldn't really make the transition. He's got all of the physical attributes and none of the awareness or desire to be in the NFL. I hope that changes but, you can't teach a love of the game and I don't think he's got one. He calls himself Predator but, reminds me nothing of his name. I'm not being harsh, I think he was worth a shot. I just am not sure he will ever get to that level.

Washington is a nice pick up.   He has some experience and should be in decent playing shape since Buffalo cut him only two weeks ago.  Topou will probably still get snaps on early downs and Washington will rotate more on passing downs.  He is an upgrade as a pass rusher and has the versatility we like on the dline.

52 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Rick got a warning for being a dick (among other things)...I don't think he liked that.

Nobody warns the Rick...ok goddamnit.... no one

Without Rick this place will turn into a liberal circle jerk and everyone will have to sit very close to each other because the lack of arm length 

55 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Rick got a warning for being a dick (among other things)...I don't think he liked that.

Without Rick this place will turn into a liberal circle jerk and everyone will have to sit very close to each other because the lack of arm length 

27 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Yeah - got a 1 point warning.  Not sure where he went after that.   Probably thought "Finally I got a mod to moderate...my job is done".

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

I never thought anything like that about him.  Never took anything seriously and he was getting ragged about

the short arms thing.  Which I thought was amusing.  Can you un-warn him?

While we're at it, where's Old Schooler?  Did he melt down over in Dungeons and Dragons?

Archived