Cut John Ross and sign

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

You haven’t bought into it, but I have. People learn in different ways. I am very much a person who learns best from doing and repetition. 

Your point about him making more sense as a 2nd or 3rd rounder I can totally get on board with. Still, one has to wonder if there hadn’t been injury/psychological issues last season where he might be at the moment, developmentally speaking.

Boyd was better than Ross from the outset, but had a significant drop off last year, lest ye forget. Even with reps and all, he still managed to regress. Ross, on the other hand, has had very little actual application time...I think it’s fair to say the jury should still be out on him at the very worst.

Boyd was fighting nagging injuries all last season.  He only played in 10 games and took 31% of the offensive snaps last year compared to 68% his rookie year.   Without Ross the alternative to a Boyd was Malone, Core or Erickson who are not good receivers. 

Sure the jury is still out but keep in mind, Andy is rarely throwing him the ball.  He got 2 targets out of 41 thrown passes yesterday and that was after losing Eifert in the 3rd quarter. Either they are simply not putting in plays to get him the ball or Andy just doesn't want to throw to him after the game 3 debacle.  It doesn't help that Andy probably has his internal clock sped up some due to the line and may not be getting to Ross. 

Has anybody actually really focused on Ross on plays? Is he being jammed by corners or something at the los? It seems a guy with his speed should be able to kill with quick inside slants. I'm thinking they just don't trust his hands yet enough to do something like this.

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

Has anybody actually really focused on Ross on plays? Is he being jammed by corners or something at the los? It seems a guy with his speed should be able to kill with quick inside slants. I'm thinking they just don't trust his hands yet enough to do something like this.

His hands are fine, it's his effort that's questionable.  He needs to earn the kind of trust that goes with those short timing routes.  As easily as he's been boxed out that's asking for a pick-6.

9 hours ago, Hooky said:

I haven't read this thread yet, but why do they insist on throwing him 50-50 balls? That's obviously not his game or am I stupid? I don't recall any on Sunday though, so maybe they stopped.

So you are saying the QB bares some responsibility for the pass and the outcome unless it's just a drop..... can't be true.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

So you are saying the QB bares some responsibility for the pass and the outcome unless it's just a drop..... can't be true.

If it hits the receiver in the hands and they fleeb the ball into the air, or jog out a route, it's 100% on the receiver. Every pass isn't going to be perfect. They need to hold up their end before they can point a finger at the QB.

1 hour ago, Jungletiger said:

Did he play today, it was like he didn't exist after a good game against the Falcs.

Why do you think we had so much Drama in the passing game?  He didn't play so they were able to bring a S down in the box.  And you had a CB on Boyd instead of a S or LB.  

11 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Why do you think we had so much Drama in the passing game?  He didn't play so they were able to bring a S down in the box.  And you had a CB on Boyd instead of a S or LB.  

Not sure why you continue to defend the guy.  He isn't a good receiver.  There were other guys who can actually run a route and contribute to the team we could have picked far lower than the #9.   He has caught just 42% of his targets, gives up on routes or runs them poorly.   He just isn't good and this is his 2nd season in the organization regardless of what some want to pretend.

Throwing out Boyd's season last year to somehow justify Ross' poor play is a non starter as well.  Our o-line was wet runny dogshit last year. AJ Green had his worst statistics as a pro on a per game basis last year and he was the #1 option.

He has caught 7 passes for 79 yards and 2 TDs.  One of those catches was for 39 yards.  That means the other 6 catches went for 40 yards or 6.7 yards per catch which means he is NOT catching passes downfield at all.   It was a bad pick at that spot. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Not sure why you continue to defend the guy.  He isn't a good receiver.  There were other guys who can actually run a route and contribute to the team we could have picked far lower than the #9.   He has caught just 42% of his targets, gives up on routes or runs them poorly.   He just isn't good and this is his 2nd season in the organization regardless of what some want to pretend.

Throwing out Boyd's season last year to somehow justify Ross' poor play is a non starter as well.  Our o-line was wet runny dogshit last year. AJ Green had his worst statistics as a pro on a per game basis last year and he was the #1 option.

He has caught 7 passes for 79 yards and 2 TDs.  One of those catches was for 39 yards.  That means the other 6 catches went for 40 yards or 6.7 yards per catch which means he is NOT catching passes downfield at all.   It was a bad pick at that spot. 

I'm not truly sure why it matters to you what I think.  I'm not sure if you're aware, but it's okay to have different opinions about things.  

Archived