The Official Bengals vs Falcons Game Day Thread...

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I hope he does something for the other 10 guys because Austin has turned one of the better defenses in the NFL into one of the worst.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with Austin. Lazor on the other hand has shown me something this week.

Just now, schotzee said:

I tend to agree with you thus far. However ,I will hold off on my final judgement until I see how the calls are against both sides when we play the stealers.

I hear you on that.  So far, though, they have gotten penalized HEAVILY.  We shall see.  Ill be there.  Should be a good one.  

1 hour ago, SouthPaw said:

I hear you on that.  So far, though, they have gotten penalized HEAVILY.  We shall see.  Ill be there.  Should be a good one.  

I'll believe something's changed there when a Steeler gets ejected from a game.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with Austin. Lazor on the other hand has shown me something this week.

I wondered aloud this week that if Austin and this defense don’t show some improvement by mid season if we might expect the unexpected and see Marvin cast him off and start running the defense himself. Didn’t he do this a few years back...prior to Zimmer? Or, have I lost my mind?

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

4 consecutive NFL-free weeks and counting. Was traveling all day, but was shanghaied in one of those airport eateries that had a TV going. Just long enough to get a heaping helping of #teamslikethepatriots (featuring Play-Until-50-Because-I-Cannot-Be-Touched #12) get call after call against sometimes-NFL-favored Miami. And a one, and a two, and...

My son is starting to buy into your theories.He screamed at the TV last night, "Do they want Jon Gruden to not go 0-4?" in the midst of other profanities. 

8 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I wondered aloud this week that if Austin and this defense don’t show some improvement by mid season if we might expect the unexpected and see Marvin cast him off and start running the defense himself. Didn’t he do this a few years back...prior to Zimmer? Or, have I lost my mind?

Yup. Fired Leslie Frazier and Marvin took over the Defense.

Lets just see what happens when Burfict returns.  If they are still getting knifed, then its time to worry.  Ill say this though, other than what the Ravens did last night in the second half, it seems, teams are getting singed all over the place on defense.  

*The Stealers have gotten penalized heavily throughout four weeks.  They got their asses beat well more than the score indicated last night.  The patriots got their asses beat last week.  Cincinnati made way to many mistakes last week to win.  Its not a conspiracy league.  The plays are out there.  If they are made, youre team wins.  If not, they lose.  Flags fly for and against every team in the league.    

4 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

My eldest (16 year old) son and I are going to that game as well. He's a big fan, hates the Steelers...he's a good kid!

:)

I figured he's old enough to encounter inebriated adults behaving badly (and this'll be strange for me too, as this will be the first game I have been to since I quit drinking for health reasons, so no beer for this guy :sadface:) and he's never been to a Stealers game. I explained to him that it's an order of magnitude greater due to the rivalry than any other game. And dare I say it, if the Stealers continue on their current trajectory, will this game be diminished somewhat if the Stealers become a divisional doormat?

16 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

My eldest (16 year old) son and I are going to that game as well. He's a big fan, hates the Stealers...he's a good kid!

:)

I figured he's old enough to encounter inebriated adults behaving badly (and this'll be strange for me too, as this will be the first game I have been to since I quit drinking for health reasons, so no beer for this guy :sadface:) and he's never been to a Stealers game. I explained to him that it's an order of magnitude greater due to the rivalry than any other game. And dare I say it, if the Stealers continue on their current trajectory, will this game be diminished somewhat if the Stealers become a divisional doormat?

I was thinking the same thing.  I live about an hour north of Pittsburgh.  My girlfriend is a Stealers fan.  When we decided to go a couple of weeks ago, it was under the assumption that this game wouldnt be played under a potential 4-1 vs. 1-3-1.  However, here we are.  It will great beating the shit out of them and cementing their doormat status for the 2018-2019 season.  First things first though, they need to take care of Miami.  That is a very winnable game and will set the tone and attitude for the following week.  I believe this team grew up yesterday.  They seem to be ready to make the jump.  Lets if their play continues to trend that way.  Lets goo!!!!

23 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

Folks, defense is lacking throughout the league. Not just here. Look at some games this year. You've seen stud performances from the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mitch Trubisky and Ryan Tannehill just to name a few. Today the Browns scored more pts than they have in a decade in a losing effort and Mayfield did not have a good day. I think we need a thread on rules changes that should be made in order to throw a bone to the defense.

One more thing on this game: With the INT and the blocked punt, we really lost the turnover battle 2-0. That's huge to get a win on the road when you do that. All in all we stole a game here that we weren't supposed to win

I saw a stat on twitter today.  Teams that won the turnover battle (or had 0 turnovers, don't remember which) and converted 70+% of 3rd downs are 39-1.

Atlanta yesterday was the one.

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

Speaking of that game I see the Broncos got fucked pretty good toward the end. Play clock ran out , never called against KC.

Sorry , I meant to put this in the keeping the enemies close thread. 

I noticed that too.  That is often called but I guess the refs are only human and can't catch everything?

What would have helped Denver even more is not going 3 and out on the previous drive, so I guess they clap-clap-clapped that one in the pisser. 

2 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

I noticed that too.  That is often called but I guess the refs are only human and can't catch everything?

What would have helped Denver even more is not going 3 and out on the previous drive, so I guess they clap-clap-clapped that one in the pisser. 

Lol yeah! I think the Denver d also let them convert out of a second and 30 hole in that final series also.

2 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

They did indeed.  Mahomes is the real deal.  He made some unbelievable passes. 

I'm not saying he'll turn out the same way down the road, but right now, he looks exactly like Kapernick did when he first came into the league and set the world on fire ....they look like the exact same player, IMO.

21 hours ago, spicoli said:

I'm not saying he'll turn out the same way down the road, but right now, he looks exactly like Kapernick did when he first came into the league and set the world on fire ....they look like the exact same player, IMO.

Much more cerebral, playing in a way better offense with many more weapons in my opinion.  I can see the comparison though.  

Archived