The Official Good Bad and Ugly for Bengals at Atlanta

11 minutes ago, Hooky said:

How many ESPN reels would Walton's sick spin move be on if it was Connor, AP or Guirley?

I've been at work for 2 hours now - turned on ESPN to see our highlights. Haven't shown them yet.

6 minutes ago, Cat said:

I've been at work for 2 hours now - turned on ESPN to see our highlights. Haven't shown them yet.

Fine with flying under the radar.  Don't hold your breath waiting on ESPN to say anything positive about this franchise.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Fine with flying under the radar.  Don't hold your breath waiting on ESPN to say anything positive about this franchise.

Espn website just basically stating Falcons D can't stop anyone, injuries , penalties, shooting self in foot etc. Kat Terrel has a little snippet that praises team for playing through adversity after the Eifert injury.

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Well, driving into work, I did hear a 5 minute dissertation on how the Falcon's season is probably over and why.  Oh, they did mention they lost to the Bengals at the very beginning but that was it.  Basically, the reason they are losing is because they are terrible not that they started off the season @Philly then 3 straight home games against the Panthers, Saints and Us.  BTW, how the fuck does a team get 3 straight home games the first quarter of the season??

Good:

1. Dalton is back on the form that we saw pre-injury in 2015.  Him establishing a psychic connection with Boyd is gonna be huge for the team going forward. His last throw to win the game was into a pretty damn tight window, I didn't appreciate how tight until I saw a shot from behind the play. If his receivers would stop popping balls in the air leading to INTs, that would be nice.

2. Boyd looks as much like Housh as we have seen since Housh left. Devastating weapon to have, the ability to move the chains in big spots. REALLY hard to find a guy like that.

3. Gio, but still glad to be getting Mixon back. Gio being gassed/dinged on final drive and unavailable points to why he isn't an ideal #1 back. 

4. Mixon's being a genuine teammate. Man, was he into that game on the sideline, all game, before the sprint to celebrate with Green at the end.

5. Uzomah. I think he can really help make Eifert's loss not as devastating. He looks much more comfortable downfield than he used to, and that was a huge catch on the final drive.

Bad: 

1. Officiating. I can't even. And that's across the league, but in Bengals games. the bad calls always seem to be at us.

2. The tackling. Given how the NFL wants offense, you have to at least do the fundamental things well, and their tackling has been too sloppy. Getting Burfict back should help.

Ugly:

1. The Eifert injury, obviously.

Bottom line, the first four game schedule the league handed the team was brutal and unfair, three of four on the road and all against top tier NFL qbs. The only home game not even on a Sunday and on short rest against a rival. That's crap. And they came out of it 3-1. That's amazing. Hopefully a return to health from Mixon, get Price back soon, and Burfict and being at home and they can build on this now. Hard not to be a little giddy. That was the exact kind of game yesterday they NEVER seem to win (shoot-out, and with adversity to boot). 

Good: 

Boyd - Probably my favorite player right. Dude is so money right now. Definitely Andy's security blanket

O-line  - They are actually playing decent right now with Price hurt. Hopkins filling in at center has done very well. I actually thinks he plays better at center than he does at guard

A.J.

Andy

Gio

Ross

2nd half adjustments

Bad.

Run defense - Hopefully this will change once Burfict returns. Seems like so many guys are not lined up correctly. Especially the LBs. Missed tackles

Pass defense - We are playing too much zone. Leave WJ III on an island and roll extra help (Bates) to Dre K side. WJ III doesn't seem comfortable in the new scheme

The RTP penalty on Carl Lawson was the 2nd worse call in the game

The hands to the face penalty on Hart that brought back the AJ TD was the worse.

Ugly:

Eifert ankle

The refs

As for the officiating...

I will say the good call on Snafu being stopped short of the goal line on the two point conversion won the game for us or at least prevented a tie.

I thought in the past that kind of thing would have gone against us.

The PI call on the AJ reception that saved us a time out even though Marvin had given it away at first by taking the reception.

The call for an incomplete forward pass vs a fumble and Atlanta recovery was a good one, too. Once again, I thought that in the past (or against Pittsburgh or the Patriots) it would have been a lost fumble.

However, I think they took away a Geno fumble recovery and I think AJ took a helmet to the face mask when he went out of bounds that was not called.

Piling on here.  Excellent observations by all.  That's why I love this board, insightful stuff with a sense of not taking things too seriously.

The Good (plus the aforementioned)...

I said I was concerned about this game because I thought it could be a "Statement Game".  And it sure as hell was.  Underdogs, overlooked and away.  I was so sick of hearing Ryan Ice that I was ready to ralph.  He looked like Ryan Pantload and he had spoofed and pooped his pants much of the game.  Just another poser media darling.

Anyway, before, I think the Bengals would have just gone into a complacent "oh well, its all over" when they fell behind or it was even close.  I thought they had folded their tent with the Effect injury and they did lose focus for a time BUT they recovered and went on to win the game.  I thought that was HUGE in showing what they were made of.  I thought it was a great win for the   Bengals and a preview of things to come.  Not immediately  ...

The Bad...

Can't tackle.

No interceptions

Both OTs

Linebackers ... Nickerson can't play with the big boys and didn't we have a guy named Vinny something at one time?  Retirement calls.

Kirkpatrick (thought Dennard had a good game) and Shawn Williams ... we cut the wrong safety

Another bad was that that was not a home game.

Next...

Eifert to IR and I wish him nothing but the best and Rawles cut to make way for Joe Mixon (really like this guy) and Burfict.

Someone has to go to make room for Billy Price's return ... if no one injured (hope not), maybe Auden Tate and try to sneak him on to the practice squad.

An afterthought... if Burfict and Pacman had played in that game we would have lost due to the penalties they incur, real and imagined.

21 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Piling on here.  Excellent observations by all.  That's why I love this board, insightful stuff with a sense of not taking things too seriously.

The Good (plus the aforementioned)...

I said I was concerned about this game because I thought it could be a "Statement Game".  And it sure as hell was.  Underdogs, overlooked and away.  I was so sick of hearing Ryan Ice that I was ready to ralph.  He looked like Ryan Pantload and he had spoofed and pooped his pants much of the game.  Just another poser media darling.

Anyway, before, I think the Bengals would have just gone into a complacent "oh well, its all over" when they fell behind or it was even close.  I thought they had folded their tent with the Effect injury and they did lose focus for a time BUT they recovered and went on to win the game.  I thought that was HUGE in showing what they were made of.  I thought it was a great win for the   Bengals and a preview of things to come.  Not immediately  ...

The Bad...

Can't tackle.

No interceptions

Both OTs

Linebackers ... Nickerson can't play with the big boys and didn't we have a guy named Vinny something at one time?  Retirement calls.

Kirkpatrick (thought Dennard had a good game) and Shawn Williams ... we cut the wrong safety

Another bad was that that was not a home game.

Next...

Eifert to IR and I wish him nothing but the best and Rawles cut to make way for Joe Mixon (really like this guy) and Burfict.

Someone has to go to make room for Billy Price's return ... if no one injured (hope not), maybe Auden Tate and try to sneak him on to the practice squad.

An afterthought... if Burfict and Pacman had played in that game we would have lost due to the penalties they incur, real and imagined.

I agree. 

3 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Put it on backwards again?

Let's just say the reason he can run 4.22 is that he has three legs. We finally have a WR that can beat a horse at something.

You could also say that he just got his panties in a bunch. Which would be a great marketing slogan for Costco.

You cannot over-state just how much of an impact Tyler Boyd has made on this team....time after time, when in a critical 3rd down situation, it ends up No. 83 with the ball and a 1st down. Surprised defenses haven't picked up on how Dalton looks for his most reliable receiver in those scenarios, but I guess you can't double-team AJ and Tyler.

The loss of Tyler Eifert stings, but had it been Tyler Boyd lost for the season it would have been devastating. Boyd's got that "it" factor and will help us win the division and our first playoff game in forever.

image.png.702341a98fb659182d95f2fb6360d698.png

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I said in the game day thread, when Eifert went out, and then the punt was blocked, to still have the lead after that Atlanta series was big.  In retrospect it was HUGE.

The defense holding them to 3 after the blocked punt was arguably the biggest defensive stop of the game, and right after the Eifert injury too.

Archived