Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cat

Mini DV - importing

Usually El Flocko is the only one who responds - but I'll throw this out there anyway - I have an old Sony Handy-Cam with a number of mini DV tapes - important stuff, like when kids were babies - however, either my mac or Windows PC are able to recognize the camera when plugged in to import anymore - even through the recommended Sony software.

Appreciate any ideas...

On 10/2/2018 at 12:13 PM, Cat said:

Usually El Flocko is the only one who responds - but I'll throw this out there anyway - I have an old Sony Handy-Cam with a number of mini DV tapes - important stuff, like when kids were babies - however, either my mac or Windows PC are able to recognize the camera when plugged in to import anymore - even through the recommended Sony software.

Appreciate any ideas...

Have you tried connecting it to a 2nd computer to see if it gets detected via USB? 

I found this: https://turbofuture.com/graphic-design-video/How-to-Transfer-Sony-Handycam-Video-to-Computer

Sounds like Windows needs help detecting it

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Have you tried connecting it to a 2nd computer to see if it gets detected via USB? 

I found this: https://turbofuture.com/graphic-design-video/How-to-Transfer-Sony-Handycam-Video-to-Computer

Sounds like Windows needs help detecting it

Appreciate that, bud - will see what this does. And yeah, I've tried on a mac (via iMovie) and my PC.

9 hours ago, Cat said:

Appreciate that, bud - will see what this does. And yeah, I've tried on a mac (via iMovie) and my PC.

If that guide doesn't work you might try it on a different PC.  If yours is Win10 maybe try it on one running Win7/8, or better yet see if you can find an old laptop or something running XP.  Just a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if older builds of Windows had plug-&-play support that got stripped out of more recent versions. That's probably why you need that Sony app now.