Dolphins release Jordan Phillips and Bengals angle

Dolphins DT Phillips released after angry sideline outburst

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- The Miami Dolphins released defensive tackle Jordan Phillips on Tuesday in the wake of his angry outburst on the sideline after he came out of a lopsided loss at New England.

''Free at last free at last,'' Phillips wrote on Instagram. ''Good luck to my brothers on the team. I'll miss ya'll, but I couldn't be happier to be out of there. ... Sometimes you got to put your future in your own hands and live with it.''

The Dolphins had the day off and didn't discuss the reason for the move. On Monday, coach Adam Gase defended defensive line coach Kris Kocurek's substitution pattern.

Phillips and the rest of Miami's front four were dominated in Sunday's 38-7 loss to the Patriots, who rushed for 175 yards. The defeat dropped Miami to 3-1.

Phillips was a second-round draft pick in 2015 who has 26 starts and developed a reputation as an underachiever. He came off the bench this season as part of the defensive line rotation, and had one sack and five tackles.

Gase has spoken often about his desire to improve the team's culture following a 6-10 season in 2017.

Mods... please move if not fitting for this Forum

The Bengals angle is word was they wanted to draft him in the second round and the Dolphins got him first.  We took Jake Fisher.

So is he worth picking up now?  Misused and coached in Miami or an immature head case not worth the effort.  Coachable and productive or ready to go back to the high school on game nights and tell stories to the junior high losers?

Worth picking up to pick his brain?  Stick him in once in awhile to exact his revenge on the old team?

Or do we have too many roster decisions to make as it is with the return of Burfict and Mixon this week, hopefully Billy Price and getting Adolphus Washington on the field not to mention replacing Eifert.

Just thought I would post for gits and shiggles.

Former high-round draft  choices that are suddenly available for the taking are tempting to be sure. But in Phillips' case, you have to ask yourself "If the Dolphins tossed him in the scratch & dent dumpster, why do we want him ?"

Besides, DT is a position of strength....who would get tossed?

54 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Besides, DT is a position of strength....who would get tossed?

That right there is the main issue, We're stacked with good talent in that group, even without Glasgow. The question becomes is he better than Adolphus Washington?

Archived