The Offense is Humming

Or is it?  Over that past six quarters we've scored 22 points (9 vs. ATL & 13 vs. MIA).  Neither of those defenses are great.  Yes, we've had some injuries in Mixon, Ross and Gio, but it seems like the offensive line is regressing as well.  This downtrend also coincides with Eifert going down coincidentally.  Do you think there's reason for concern or is this just a bump in the road?

Edit:  we scored 9 in the 2nd half vs. ATL, not 12

1 minute ago, WRAPradio said:

Or is it?  Over that past six quarters we've scored 25 points (12 vs. ATL & 13 vs. MIA).  Neither of those defenses are great.  Yes, we've had some injuries in Mixon, Ross and Gio, but it seems like the offensive line is regressing as well.  This downtrend also coincides with Eifert going down coincidentally.  Do you think there's reason for concern or is this just a bump in the road?

I think not having the threat of Ross' speed out there during that same stretch while he was hurt impacts what we can do on offense greatly.

Just now, Bunghole said:

I think not having the threat of Ross' speed out there during that same stretch while he was hurt impacts what we can do on offense greatly.

That's a really good point.  For all of the flack he's gotten this season, the threat of his speed can't be understated.

3 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

I think there is alot to be concerned about offensively, out O-line is questionable at best.

Those 2 balls  in the 4th bounce differently and hit the ground instead of a D-lineman's hands we likely lose that game.

Guess we'll see Sunday.

Do you think the problem is just with the O-line or is something else off? 

11 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

I think there is alot to be concerned about offensively, out O-line is questionable at best.

Those 2 balls  in the 4th bounce differently and hit the ground instead of a D-lineman's hands we likely lose that game.

Guess we'll see Sunday.

You seem to bash us a lot. Don't good teams create lucky breaks? That shit used to always go against us.

5 minutes ago, schotzee said:

You seem to bash us a lot. Don't good teams create lucky breaks? That shit used to always go against us.

Us? Actually I'm part of us, just don't post much. I'm just a fan from 1968 who has zero confidence in ML.

You can make an argument good teams make their breaks but without their left tackle going down I doubt we would have gotten that much disruption.

Anyway, breaks of the game but if you were satisfied with that first half and are not concerned with what you saw, you were watching a different game than I was.

6 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Us? Actually I'm part of us, just don't post much. I'm just a fan from 1968 who has zero confidence in ML.

You can make an argument good teams make their breaks but without their left tackle going down I doubt we would have gotten that much disruption.

Anyway, breaks of the game but if you were satisfied with that first half and are not concerned with what you saw, you were watching a different game than I was.

I'm not a coach of Cincy, so no I'm not concerned about the first half. As a fan, I'm only concerned about the final score.

39 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Do you think the problem is just with the O-line or is something else off? 

OK, besides the Oline...

I think we still need a real outside threat to help AJ, hoping Ross can be that guy if he's not broken.

Keeping Gio and Joe healthy together would be great but it's been a problem. 

I'm disappointed again with Eifert, but I do think we can cover that with the other TEs we have.

Worst of all is our 3rd down average, it's terrible and I don't know exactly why.

Maybe we are too predictable, every team seems to know what we are doing on 3rd and whatever.

What do you think?

25 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

OK, well that's a way of looking at it I guess but we have a 1st half like that next week we lose.

Very possible no doubt. It's stealer week though so I'm hoping for foot on their throat for the entire game. As long as we win even if that's not the case.....Idc :icon15: :steelerssuck:

Even the best offenses have off games. The Bengals currently rank 3rd in points per game, have given up only nine sacks in five games and their lead RB has the 2nd most yards per game after Ezekiel Elliott. Meanwhile, they were without John Ross, Tyler Eifert, Billy Price and Gio Bernard last game. Bernard, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated players on the team. I get that fanbases like to look for something wrong to discuss but, boys, I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Yes, the offensive line could be better but, this offense is a top tier unit. We have a solid starting QB, a multi-threat RB, a great 1-2 at WR in Green/Boyd and a more than capable TE tandem. I think any major concerns here are a little unfounded.

Yes, the Bengals had some good fortune on defense after some hard work by the unit and not only created turnovers but scored points. And, yes, this helped win the game but....that's how this game goes. 

I am very excited that the Bengals have found a way to win these close games.  It's an indicator that this is a team of character. 

At the same time some of us like to examine the game and play of the players.  If that's the case there are things to be concerned about with the Bengals.  If you choose to just cheer and enjoy the positive outcomes, that's great.  You can leave the analysis to dorks like me and others on the board.

I am very excited that the Bengals have found a way to win these close games.  It's an indicator that this is a team of character. 

At the same time some of us like to examine the game and play of the players.  If that's the case there are things to be concerned about with the Bengals.  If you choose to just cheer and enjoy the positive outcomes, that's great.  You can leave the analysis to dorks like me and others on the board.

I think last year's O line was so bad they would have had to had improved to suck.

This year's O line just sucks.

Glenn has been exposed as not being able to handle speed rushers and Hart is a decent second stringer.

I think the line could benefit from a guy like Ryan Hewitt 

However, I think Andy compensates by scrambling and our receivers do a good job of coming back and following the play.

Ref Mixon's touchdown reception.

But we are finding ways to win and creating out own luck which is what winners do.

However, if they come on to the field Sunday and play Marvinball playing like they just rolled out of bed, we're screwed.

Might as well be a prime time game because its the only game worth watching on October 14.

I will say In Burfict We Trust.

Let's hope he fires the team up and overcomes Marvin's lethargy.

And VB isn't a penalty magnet.

15 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Or is it?  Over that past six quarters we've scored 25 points (12 vs. ATL & 13 vs. MIA).  Neither of those defenses are great.  Yes, we've had some injuries in Mixon, Ross and Gio, but it seems like the offensive line is regressing as well.  This downtrend also coincides with Eifert going down coincidentally.  Do you think there's reason for concern or is this just a bump in the road?

Losing the starting center also means losing the guy making the line calls. I'm not sure why everyone is so certain that losing a pass catching TE who mostly lined up in the slot affects O-Line play when Occam's razor says it's probably losing the starting center. Also, Film study and stuff. Week 1, our strengths and weaknesses were mysterious... Now it's pretty easy to see that attacking the right side works.

Losing Eifert means that it's easier to dial up blitzes from the secondary, but that hasn't been the problem.

Frankly... What are you expecting? We have to score 17 points per quarter and never punt or the offense sucks? We're #3 in points at ~30 a game. In a year when offenses are exploding, we're blowing it up hardcore. They also hung 34 points on the Ravens... One of three teams giving up less than 17 PPG. And that average includes us hanging that 34 on them. They're only giving up ~10 PPG in the other 4 games of the year.

Our biggest concern is having one of the the league's worst rushing defenses. And a mediocre at best pass defense. I swear we were in the 3rd quarter this weekend before we "stopped" a run for less than 5 yards. We're #19 in plays from scrimmage, and #9 in yards per play. #25 in time of possession. if we extrapolate from the Ravens who have the most offensive plays from scrimmage, We'd have ~500 yards more on the season if the defense got the other team off the field more.

But no... Having the #3 offense just isn't good enough... And the other defenses suck because they haven't gotten to play the Browns or Bills yet this year. Good golly Miss Molly... It's fucking ponderous.

17 minutes ago, schotzee said:

What's Occam's razor lost?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

In short, the simplest solution tends to be the right one.

If you wake up and there's dog poop on your lawn, the simplest explanation is that you have a neighbor who's an asshole, not that the CIA is in league with space aliens to fertilize your daises.

In this case, if you lose an Offensive Lineman and the Offensive line goes south, that's the simplest explanation instead of reaching for "Gosh, maybe Tyler Eifert lined up in the slot is the key to keeping pressure off Andy Dalton..."

3 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Losing the starting center also means losing the guy making the line calls. I'm not sure why everyone is so certain that losing a pass catching TE who mostly lined up in the slot affects O-Line play when Occam's razor says it's probably losing the starting center. Also, Film study and stuff. Week 1, our strengths and weaknesses were mysterious... Now it's pretty easy to see that attacking the right side works.

Losing Eifert means that it's easier to dial up blitzes from the secondary, but that hasn't been the problem.

Frankly... What are you expecting? We have to score 17 points per quarter and never punt or the offense sucks? We're #3 in points at ~30 a game. In a year when offenses are exploding, we're blowing it up hardcore. They also hung 34 points on the Ravens... One of three teams giving up less than 17 PPG. And that average includes us hanging that 34 on them. They're only giving up ~10 PPG in the other 4 games of the year.

Our biggest concern is having one of the the league's worst rushing defenses. And a mediocre at best pass defense. I swear we were in the 3rd quarter this weekend before we "stopped" a run for less than 5 yards. We're #19 in plays from scrimmage, and #9 in yards per play. #25 in time of possession. if we extrapolate from the Ravens who have the most offensive plays from scrimmage, We'd have ~500 yards more on the season if the defense got the other team off the field more.

But no... Having the #3 offense just isn't good enough... And the other defenses suck because they haven't gotten to play the Browns or Bills yet this year. Good golly Miss Molly... It's fucking ponderous.

The offense has been good for the majority of the season, but six quarters of average to below average play is concerning.  The Falcons and Dolphins don't have great defenses so I would expect us to play well in those games (first have vs. the Falcons was extraordinary).

I don't think we should average 17 points per quarter, that's not even realistic. We're currently averaging 26 ppg which is great (taking away 21 for the defensive TDs to truly account for the offense's production).  In the first 14 quarters of the season, the offense scored 110 points which is almost 8 points per quarter (7.9).  The last six quarters the offense has scored 22 points, which is almost 4 points per quarter (3.7).   That's a huge drop off and is very concerning IMO. 

I don't think Eifert had any affect on the o-line play, but it does take away one of Andy's safety blankets which could be an issue.  

Note:  the only reason I'm talking about points per quarter is because the offense started struggling in the 2nd half of the Falcons game which obviously isn't a full game.

17 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

In short, the simplest solution tends to be the right one.

If you wake up and there's dog poop on your lawn, the simplest explanation is that you have a neighbor who's an asshole, not that the CIA is in league with space aliens to fertilize your daises.

In this case, if you lose an Offensive Lineman and the Offensive line goes south, that's the simplest explanation instead of reaching for "Gosh, maybe Tyler Eifert lined up in the slot is the key to keeping pressure off Andy Dalton..."

Outside of Price, who we lost early vs. the Ravens in game 2,  who else did we lose?  The production didn't slow down until the middle of game 4.  I don't think Eifert has anything to do with the line struggling more...I think the line is who we thought they were.

3 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

The offense has been good for the majority of the season, but six quarters of average to below average play is concerning.  The Falcons and Dolphins don't have great defenses so I would expect us to play well in those games (first have vs. the Falcons was extraordinary).

I don't think we should average 17 points per quarter, that's not even realistic. We're currently averaging 26 ppg which is great (taking away 21 for the defensive TDs to truly account for the offense's production).  In the first 14 quarters of the season, the offense scored 110 points which is almost 8 points per quarter (7.9).  The last six quarters the offense has scored 22 points, which is almost 4 points per quarter (3.7).   That's a huge drop off and is very concerning IMO. 

I don't think Eifert had any affect on the o-line play, but it does take away one of Andy's safety blankets which could be an issue.  

Note:  the only reason I'm talking about points per quarter is because the offense started struggling in the 2nd half of the Falcons game which obviously isn't a full game.

Weren't we perfect in the red zone going into the last game?

As the Buddha once said, "High expectations lead to low satisfaction."

Archived