Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WRAPradio

The Offense is Humming

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Weren't we perfect in the red zone going into the last game?
 

Yes, I believe so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WRAPradio said:

 

Outside of Price, who we lost early vs. the Ravens in game 2,  who else did we lose?  The production didn't slow down until the middle of game 4.

Gio?

You say that losing Eifert took away a "safety valve", but that's not Eifert's game. Eifert is rarely used as a safety valve that hangs around looking for a dump off.

So, if you're looking to support the "safety valve" argument, a hobbled Mixon and the loss of Gio makes more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Gio?

You say that losing Eifert took away a "safety valve", but that's not Eifert's game. Eifert is rarely used as a safety valve that hangs around looking for a dump off.

So, if you're looking to support the "safety valve" argument, a hobbled Mixon and the loss of Gio makes more sense.

 

I'm with you, I thought you saying we lost more people on the o-line -- my mistake.  The loss of Gio, Mixon and Eifert has all played a role.  Mixon is back and playing well, we won't have Gio for a few more weeks and Eifert is out for the season.  Do you expect the offense to continue to struggle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WRAPradio said:

 

I'm with you, I thought you saying we lost more people on the o-line -- my mistake.  The loss of Gio, Mixon and Eifert has all played a role.  Mixon is back and playing well, we won't have Gio for a few more weeks and Eifert is out for the season.  Do you expect the offense to continue to struggle?

This is an any given Sunday kind of league. "Continue to struggle" - define struggle for me. Even the Patriots have to employ a punter. In 6 trips to the super bowl, they never scored in the first quarter. Do you think Tom Brady will "continue to struggle"?

Will the Bengals still have problems with teams that have a strong D-Line? Yep.

Posting 30 -or- 26 PPG is not struggling. Period. That's the kind of performance that gets Bill Lazor a Head Coaching gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't just look at the points scored in a vacuum to evaluate the offense. When the defense scores touchdowns, it keeps the offense off the field. If MJ and Hubbard fell on the ball instead of returning for TDs, the offense would have probably scored 14 points.

 

The offense is not a problem. The line isn't perfect, but after watching other NFL games, it could be a lot worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

This is an any given Sunday kind of league. "Continue to struggle" - define struggle for me. Even the Patriots have to employ a punter. In 6 trips to the super bowl, they never scored in the first quarter. Do you think Tom Brady will "continue to struggle"?

Will the Bengals still have problems with teams that have a strong D-Line? Yep.

Posting 30 -or- 26 PPG is not struggling. Period. That's the kind of performance that gets Bill Lazor a Head Coaching gig.

 

Struggling (to me) equals the last 6 quarters of football vs. average to bad defenses -- we put up a total of 22 pts. in those quarters...that would be about 15 ppg; a far cry from 30 or 26.  I understand it's just six quarters, but 6 can easily turn to 10.  At what point to do you consider a struggling offense, 1 game?  5 games?  10?

 

20 minutes ago, Michigan Muskie said:

You can't just look at the points scored in a vacuum to evaluate the offense. When the defense scores touchdowns, it keeps the offense off the field. If MJ and Hubbard fell on the ball instead of returning for TDs, the offense would have probably scored 14 points.

 

The offense is not a problem. The line isn't perfect, but after watching other NFL games, it could be a lot worse.

 

I agree with the first part of your statement, but in the same vein you can't assume the offense would have scored those 14 points.  I mean they scored 10 through 3+ quarters.  I don't think it's the end of the world or anything like that, and overall the offense has played very well this season.  My concern is over the last few quarters they're trending towards the offense we saw last year from a points perspective.  With that being said, the offense still looks better than it did last year...Mixon is better, the WRs are better and the line is a little better.  I guess it's just something to keep an eye on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I said they would *probably* have scored 14 points, just given the field position after the turnovers. Even then, though, you can't evaluate the offense on points scored alone. If the defense creates a turnover on the 1 yard line and the offense scores on the very next play, is that really a measuring stick for the offense?

 

So either way, it emphasizes the argument that Points Scored alone is an ineffective way of evaluating the offense.

 

Every offense encounters some in-game slumps. Even the Chiefs and Rams. We fans want to see the Bengals score on every drive, and when they don't it's a let down. I feel like we tend to harp on those failures more than the successes. Even the national "experts" who typically don't give the Bengals much love are seeing it. Compared to the rest of the league, the Bengals have an offense that is damn-near elite. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Weren't we perfect in the red zone going into the last game?

As the Buddha once said, "High expectations lead to low satisfaction."

And as Bengals fan, Mick Jagger, once said, "I can't get no satisfaction, hey, hey, hey"

4439438-6191495-image-a-12_1537487567952.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michigan Muskie said:

Well, I said they would *probably* have scored 14 points, just given the field position after the turnovers. Even then, though, you can't evaluate the offense on points scored alone. If the defense creates a turnover on the 1 yard line and the offense scores on the very next play, is that really a measuring stick for the offense?

 

So either way, it emphasizes the argument that Points Scored alone is an ineffective way of evaluating the offense.

 

Every offense encounters some in-game slumps. Even the Chiefs and Rams. We fans want to see the Bengals score on every drive, and when they don't it's a let down. I feel like we tend to harp on those failures more than the successes. Even the national "experts" who typically don't give the Bengals much love are seeing it. Compared to the rest of the league, the Bengals have an offense that is damn-near elite. Enjoy it while it lasts!

 

How do you feel our offense has performed in the last six quarters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

And as Bengals fan, Mick Jagger, once said, "I can't get no satisfaction, hey, hey, hey"

4439438-6191495-image-a-12_1537487567952.jpg

Mick Jagger is a Bengl fan seriously? He's awesome, that would make him awesomer in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

And as Bengals fan, Mick Jagger, once said, "I can't get no satisfaction, hey, hey, hey"

4439438-6191495-image-a-12_1537487567952.jpg

I'd rather be dead than singing "Satisfaction" when I'm forty-five. ~Mick Jagger

He was 74 in 2017... So, ya know, Mick says a lot of shit.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

 

How do you feel our offense has performed in the last six quarters?

I don't think it means much to judge on a sampling of quarters, but I'll play along. Given the loss of Eifert in the Atlanta game that led to a series of unfortunate events, I feel the offense played exceptionally well. Especially when it mattered most. They did this without Mixon, too. In the Miami game, the offense moved the ball at will initially, but came to a grinding halt in the red zone twice, both because of a single play (INT and blocked FG.) Those isolated plays were not executed well, but otherwise the offense looked good getting them into a position to score.

 

No, the offense was not clicking like we'd all hope to see for the Miami game, but without those red-zone snafus, would we even be talking about this? Fact is, they're not going to score on every drive. I wish they would, but it's just not feasible. These games all have different flows and momentum shifts, just like every other game. So in light of that, I think the offense has looked great.

 

If you're looking for points of improvement, I believe the most glaring weakness on offense is play design. Our run blocking schemes seem to be ineffective and some plays just never have a chance to work. The Bengals put themselves into too many 3rd downs because they aren't running the ball and moving the chains with any momentum (until late in the game.) Pass protection was shaky at times against Miami, but generally speaking, the o-line has done a top-shelf job keeping Andy off his butt this season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Michigan Muskie said:

I don't think it means much to judge on a sampling of quarters, but I'll play along. Given the loss of Eifert in the Atlanta game that led to a series of unfortunate events, I feel the offense played exceptionally well. Especially when it mattered most. They did this without Mixon, too. In the Miami game, the offense moved the ball at will initially, but came to a grinding halt in the red zone twice, both because of a single play (INT and blocked FG.) Those isolated plays were not executed well, but otherwise the offense looked good getting them into a position to score.

 

No, the offense was not clicking like we'd all hope to see for the Miami game, but without those red-zone snafus, would we even be talking about this? Fact is, they're not going to score on every drive. I wish they would, but it's just not feasible. These games all have different flows and momentum shifts, just like every other game. So in light of that, I think the offense has looked great.

 

If you're looking for points of improvement, I believe the most glaring weakness on offense is play design. Our run blocking schemes seem to be ineffective and some plays just never have a chance to work. The Bengals put themselves into too many 3rd downs because they aren't running the ball and moving the chains with any momentum (until late in the game.) Pass protection was shaky at times against Miami, but generally speaking, the o-line has done a top-shelf job keeping Andy off his butt this season.

 

 

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and those third downs they put themselves in during the Miami game weren't converted until the fourth quarter either. And they were generally third and longs too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Yeah, and those third downs they put themselves in during the Miami game weren't converted until the fourth quarter either. And they were generally third and longs too.

Not entirely true. Andy connected with AJ to convert a 3rd & long during the 3rd quarter FG drive. That was a huge play. I think if that play wasn't converted, the Bengals would have lost the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Michigan Muskie said:

Not entirely true. Andy connected with AJ to convert a 3rd & long during the 3rd quarter FG drive. That was a huge play. I think if that play wasn't converted, the Bengals would have lost the game.

Right, but up until that time had we even converted one? And did we convert another before the 4th quarter started?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Right, but up until that time had we even converted one? And did we convert another before the 4th quarter started?

No, the Bengals did not convert a third down in the first half (but they did convert a 4th down via penalty.) However, they ran 11 plays on their first drive without even getting to third down, except for the final play of the drive (INT.)  They also moved the chains multiple times on their next two drives before going 3-and-out twice. They didn't go 3-and-out again until the last drive of the game, up by 10 points with 90 second to go.

 

The 3-and-out at the end of the 2nd quarter was super frustrating, especially since they were at 3rd & 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 7:35 PM, schotzee said:

Very possible no doubt. It's stealer week though so I'm hoping for foot on their throat for the entire game. As long as we win even if that's not the case.....Idc :icon15: :steelerssuck:

Hope in one hand, shit in the other...I've never seen ML with his foot an any teams throat in any one quarter let alone the whole game. 

My mind can be changed but we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...