Bengals waived Thomas Rawls.

The reason Flowers was tossed:

"The 6-6, 334-pounder never developed the proper technique to consistently protect Eli Manning, hampering the Giant offense. And Flowers’ attitude was as problematic as his play.

Flowers, who reportedly threw in the towel on the Giants’ Week 17 finale last season, chafed this offseason at the signing of Nate Solder to replace him at left tackle.

Flowers did not report for the early weeks of Giants offseason workouts under new coach Pat Shurmur and yet still was handed the starting right tackle job.

Within two weeks Gettleman knew he had made a huge mistake. The Giants benched Flowers for Chad Wheeler in Week 3 in Houston. They played Spencer Pulley over Flowers as an extra tackle in Week 4 against the New Orleans Saints. Pulley was about to enter as Wheeler’s replacement Sunday in Charlotte if Wheeler’s hand injury had caused him to miss time.

And now Flowers is out, leaving Landon Collins (second round, 33rd overall) as the only Giants draft pick remaining of six from 2015. Flowers’ exit also means all five starters from the 2017 Giants offensive line are no longer on the roster.”

Yeah, this smacks of a roster situation. I mean, Mixon just got back from knee surgery, Gio is out who knows how long and now all you have left is Walton. They already went through a lack of depth when Gio went down and Mixon wasn't back yet and they put Erickson back there for a play or two. So what I am saying is that cutting what is tantamount to your third RB with Gio out means we have Mixon and Walton going into the Stealers game.

I for one am not super comfortable with that situation unless they have another RB to sign somehow. They could have easily held onto Rawls and just not dressed him until Gio got back (or after someone else went down before Gio's return) and cut him once you had your full stable of RB's back.

Gio was supposed to be out 2 - 4 weeks.  Maybe he's progressing faster than originally planned??

They're up to something and my guess is it's at Tight End with Eifert out for the year and Kroft banged up.  I think I'd rather go into a game with Mixon and Walton knowing Gio was coming back soon than with Uzomah and Shreck hoping Kroft is back soon.

35 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The reason Flowers was tossed:

"The 6-6, 334-pounder never developed the proper technique to consistently protect Eli Manning, hampering the Giant offense. And Flowers’ attitude was as problematic as his play.

Flowers, who reportedly threw in the towel on the Giants’ Week 17 finale last season, chafed this offseason at the signing of Nate Solder to replace him at left tackle.

Flowers did not report for the early weeks of Giants offseason workouts under new coach Pat Shurmur and yet still was handed the starting right tackle job.

Within two weeks Gettleman knew he had made a huge mistake. The Giants benched Flowers for Chad Wheeler in Week 3 in Houston. They played Spencer Pulley over Flowers as an extra tackle in Week 4 against the New Orleans Saints. Pulley was about to enter as Wheeler’s replacement Sunday in Charlotte if Wheeler’s hand injury had caused him to miss time.

And now Flowers is out, leaving Landon Collins (second round, 33rd overall) as the only Giants draft pick remaining of six from 2015. Flowers’ exit also means all five starters from the 2017 Giants offensive line are no longer on the roster.”

Sounds like a good candidate for redeeming.

Still, going into the Stealers game with only two healthy running backs does not sound like a sound plan.

Stay tuned, Bengal fans... tumblr_nk1fwiE8yS1tkahdeo1_250.gif

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Sounds like a good candidate for redeeming.

Still, going into the Stealers game with only two healthy running backs does not sound like a sound plan.

Stay tuned, Bengal fans... tumblr_nk1fwiE8yS1tkahdeo1_250.gif

You assuming Rawls is heakthy? I doubt that also. Just to make myself clear, I understsnd why they signed him but now I understand why they released him.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

You assuming Rawls is heakthy? I doubt that also. Just to make myself clear, I understsnd why they signed him but now I understand why they released him.

Have you read or heard any reports to indicate that Rawls was injured, or are you just spitballing?

6 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Have you read or heard any reports to indicate that Rawls was injured, or are you just spitballing?

I have heard the same thing.   Something in practice I believe.   Not 100% sure because I can no longer find the article. 

Seeing how having only two RB against Atlanta nearly blew up on us, I am hoping they don't try that move again.  Gio is supposed to miss at least another game so that means another RB will be needed this week.  Whether they bring back Carson or promote someone from the PS it's too risky to not have a 3rd RB active on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Seeing how having only two RB against Atlanta nearly blew up on us, I am hoping they don't try that move again.  Gio is supposed to miss at least another game so that means another RB will be needed this week.  Whether they bring back Carson or promote someone from the PS it's too risky to not have a 3rd RB active on Sunday.

Completely agree. If they go that route again I will seriously question why. There's no good reason to do so.

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

Not being argumentative etc.

I am assuming Rawls was healthy as of Sunday.  I looked for him and saw him on the sidelines, #31, moving around fine and ready to go into the game if asked.  If injured, wouldn't there have to be some sort of injury settlement and he would have had to have been injured Monday.  Did the even practice?

Anyway, just me but I don't see the thinking behind going with only two running backs going into the game with the Stealers this weekend.  Don't think Gio is coming back, Mixon is just off an injury and played a lot Sunday and Walton is the only other back.  Not sure what backs are out there or who they could have ready to go Sunday.

If they go with only two back, look for lots of cheap kill shots on Joe.

Very obviously there are things going on that I do not know.  Just imho the timing of cutting his is really strange.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Not being argumentative etc.

I am assuming Rawls was healthy as of Sunday.  I looked for him and saw him on the sidelines, #31, moving around fine and ready to go into the game if asked.  If injured, wouldn't there have to be some sort of injury settlement and he would have had to have been injured Monday.  Did the even practice?

Anyway, just me but I don't see the thinking behind going with only two running backs going into the game with the Stealers this weekend.  Don't think Gio is coming back, Mixon is just off an injury and played a lot Sunday and Walton is the only other back.  Not sure what backs are out there or who they could have ready to go Sunday.

If they go with only two back, look for lots of cheap kill shots on Joe.

Very obviously there are things going on that I do not know.  Just imho the timing of cutting his is really strange.

Rawls was healthy Sunday, even the Twitterverse from the players talked about Rawls and Mixon.   The practice or injury I was referring to was a week or so ago.  I too believe something strange is going on with that situation.   Not really confident with the backup RB spot.   

14 hours ago, Numbers said:

Rawls was healthy Sunday, even the Twitterverse from the players talked about Rawls and Mixon.   The practice or injury I was referring to was a week or so ago.  I too believe something strange is going on with that situation.   Not really confident with the backup RB spot.   

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Umm, he was active in week 5 and logged 2 snaps on special teams. They don't practice on Monday, so....

Yes that is correct.   I'm not referring to the Bengals vs Dolphins.   Prior to that game ie... Week 3 or 4.  ("week or so ago").  

Archived