Could DC Austin be cut loose?

4 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Bucs just fired their DC after latest loss. Marv fired Zampese just a couple games in last year. Lots of money being paid to that side of the ball. Make someone accountable? I don't know who could take his place though.

Zampese came off a poor previous season if I remember correctly.  Also, the redeemer does not like paying two contracts for one position.  Things will have to get a lot worse for Austin to get fired.

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Zampese came off a poor previous season if I remember correctly.  Also, the redeemer does not like paying two contracts for one position.  Things will have to get a lot worse for Austin to get fired.

Ahh I forgot about that with Zampese. You're probably right with the rest of it too unfortunately. Btw I think an ex Bengals assistant promoted to interim Bucs DC. Mark Duffner.

38 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Bucs just fired their DC after latest loss. Marv fired Zampese just a couple games in last year. Lots of money being paid to that side of the ball. Make someone accountable? I don't know who could take his place though. Promote Marcus?:lol:

I thought Marcus was the "Head Coach in Waiting."

In an offseason and season of unconventional, if the defense doesn't start tightening things up, I could see it happening. Austin is sucking and you have got to believe that Marvin has less patience watching that bullshit, with arguably better pieces in place than recent previous seasons. I mentioned it in a thread a week or two ago...could we see Austin's departure and Marvin just taking the reins? Someone answered and mentioned that he had in fact done it with Frazier. Could even be a scenario where, not to rock the boat, they opt just to keep Austin on, in title, and Marvin sort of wrests some of the game day duties away from him. 

It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see what, if anything, happens with this defense. They have shown flashes, but have been statistically putrid. 

My impression is that Austin is scheming for the roster he wants instead of the one we have.  IDK how else you run a good defense into the ground so quickly.  

Should be no worse than 5-3 at the bye, maybe Clappy takes him behind the woodshed and they decide to play to their strengths (man coverage, 4-5 man rushes) but accountability or going with what works even when it's not how you want to do it..   That hasn't been us.  It's 30+ attempts per game & our best cover guys trying to play center field even though they couldn't catch a buzz at a Willie Nelson concert.

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

What in Austin's scheme could be preventing the defensive line from having more pressures, hits and sacks?

I haven't looked for empirical evidence, but it seems to me we aren't mixing in enough blitzes. Certainly the pressure looks aren't all that extravagant, they always seem to be straightforward and easily picked up by the opposition. 

But, that's just what I think I know.

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

That's a very good question Bung seriously. I'm assuming you have the correct answer and are waiting to hear it.

Oh no, I don't know the answer. I asked because pass rushers are pass rushers regardless of scheme. Even though we primarily rushed with four most of the Stealers game, you'd think that with two Pro Bowlers in Atkins and Dunlap, along with everyone else, that we'd have gotten in there at least a couple times and harrassed the Rapist.

The defense didnt play terrible yesterday.  We has a guy named Mcrae playing DB and I think Dre was hurting yesterday as well.  Vigil went out too.  The Patriots gave up a 17 point 2nd half lead yesterday   The Stealers have a very good offense, we played ok not horrible like Jacksonville or the Raiders.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

The defense didnt play terrible yesterday.  We has a guy named Mcrae playing DB and I think Dre was hurting yesterday as well.  Vigil went out too.  The Patriots gave up a 17 point 2nd half lead yesterday   The Stealers have a very good offense, we played ok not horrible like Jacksonville or the Raiders.

Exactly.  

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

1:18 left to seal the game. They didn't seal the deal. Should not be acceptable. People say refs shouldn't be an excuse so neither should injuries. Pitt played w/o TJ Watt for periods too which is arguably their best defensive player. Don't remember the extent of him not playing though.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

They lost in large part because the offense didn’t manage the clock well on the last drive. Austin’s defense has made big plays to save us games this year. 

They've also put us in plenty of positions to NEED big plays to win games this year. 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

1:18 left to seal the game. They didn't seal the deal. Should not be acceptable. People say refs shouldn't be an excuse so neither should injuries. Pitt played w/o TJ Watt for periods too which is arguably their best defensive player. Don't remember the extent of him not playing though.

21 points against the 21st ranked defense isn't getting it done either, particularly when you offense is fairly healthy.

I get that schemes change from game to game, but why in the world would you take WJIII off Antonio Brown?

WJIII is a man to man corner who has given most number 1's fits.

Can't understand why Teryl has him playing any type of zone.

It's just not his cup of tea, which has somewhat led him to having a slightly down year.

Also seems like the D-line isn't running enough stunts.

Lawson needs to be more involved. 

More him around to take advantages of any mismatches.

16 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I get that schemes change from game to game, but why in the world would you take WJIII off Antonio Brown?

WJIII is a man to man corner who has given most number 1's fits.

Can't understand why Teryl has him playing any type of zone.

It's just not his cup of tea, which has somewhat led him to having a slightly down year.

Also seems like the D-line isn't running enough stunts.

Lawson needs to be more involved. 

More him around to take advantages of any mismatches.

In that case the receivers were in a stack. The call was that WJIII would take the outside receiver and McRae would take the inside guy.

If you can't stop the run, you can't run stunts.

When Lawson has been in there, he hasn't done anything this year. I've seen him on the left and right side.

They've been playing a lot of cover 3 and cover 6. Take away the explosive plays and limit runs up the middle. Austin has let Bates take the entire weak side of the field in the cover 6 to make the most of his play making ability. If WJIII can't play in zone, he needs to learn how. You can't have one guy dictate your entire defensive strategy unless his name is Deion.

22 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Oh no, I don't know the answer. I asked because pass rushers are pass rushers regardless of scheme. Even though we primarily rushed with four most of the Stealers game, you'd think that with two Pro Bowlers in Atkins and Dunlap, along with everyone else, that we'd have gotten in there at least a couple times and harrassed the Rapist.

He did try to throw 3 interceptions. He's a lummox with a knack for keeping broken plays alive. The DL can't wrap up his legs, they can't really tackle him, if they reach for him and get any part of his helmet that's probably a flag, too.  

Any big, halfway mobile QB is going to be a problem with the rules as they are now.

Archived