On to Kansas City

4 hours ago, Cat said:

Man, I feel like we're gonna get throttled. We have a good team - they have a REALLY good team - both pissed off, coming off close losses* to the NFL's golden children.

They have the #32 D in the league. If we can take advantage of that, especially running the ball we can keep it interesting. 

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

They have the #32 D in the league. If we can take advantage of that, especially running the ball we can keep it interesting. 

Yeah. 

I’ll be surprised if we win...however, I’ve had this odd sense that it could be a rabbit out a hat kinda day. We’ve done it before against really good Chiefs teams and, as was said, their defense is god awful. Also, I agree with Lap and others, it’s time to let Mixon saddle up. Let’s get him 30 touches and see how we do, how the TOP battle works out.

42 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Rudi...   Run Rudi run.   Those were the last words those Chief's fans heard back in their last good run.   Pdub did pretty good that day too. 

Not that we have reason to live in the past, but if anyone wants to relive that day in 2003 when Marvin, during his rookie season, oversaw the Bengals' return to relevance:

https://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/81364-flashback-2003-bengals-vs-undefeated-chiefs/

Not that we have reason to live in the past, but if anyone wants to relive that day in 2003 when Marvin, during his rookie season, oversaw the Bengals' return to relevance:
https://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/81364-flashback-2003-bengals-vs-undefeated-chiefs/

That was the last game my Dad attended. He enjoyed the characters at the tailgate (WhoDey28 is still around, Air Force Bengal, Enquirer Board, a Used car salesman whose name eludes me, jello shots, near Longworth hall elevated parking area, irritated police trying to wrangle those unruly tailgate fans in the parking lot above, etc...). In other words, I'd love to relive that day over and over again until the end of time.

...cue up the theme song from Archie Bunker...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Define "relevance"?  Its been 27 years since we have played in a divisional playoff game.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

That was the last game my Dad attended. He enjoyed the characters at the tailgate (WhoDey28 is still around, Air Force Bengal, Enquirer Board, a Used car salesman whose name eludes me, jello shots, near Longworth hall elevated parking area, irritated police trying to wrangle those unruly tailgate fans in the parking lot above, etc...). In other words, I'd love to relive that day over and over again until the end of time.

...cue up the theme song from Archie Bunker...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

Not sure if it belongs here but Tate back on the practice squad

The Bengals announced Friday that Auden Tate has been signed to the practice squad.

Tate, a rookie, was waived by the team yesterday and cleared waivers earlier today. The third of three Bengals seventh-round draft picks this year, Tate was inactive for the first six games, but a strong preseason and training camp has the Bengals thinking he can become a contributor down the line.

Now, they’ll get a chance to keep developing him on the practice squad, and hopefully, he’ll be back on the 53-man roster later this season.

Here is an updated look at the Bengals’ practice squad:

Bengals practice squad

Player # Pos HT WT Age Exp College
Andrew Brown 93 DT 6-3 296 22 R Virginia
Moritz Böhringer 49 TE 6-5 243 25 1 Unknown
Demetrious Cox TBD DB 6-0 200 24 1 Michigan State
Quinton Flowers 34 HB 5-10 211 23 R South Florida
Jordan Franks 88 H-B 6-4 240 22 R Central Florida
Christian Hackenberg 5 QB 6-4 228 23 3 Penn State
Brad Lundblade 61 C 6-3 300 23 R Oklahoma State
Kent Perkins 76 OT 6-5 305 23 1 Texas
Auden Tate 19 WR 6-5 228 21 R Florida State
Kermit Whitfield 17 WR 5-8 192 25 1 Florida State
Chris Worley 47 LB 6-1 238 23 R Ohio State

The Cincinnati Bengals have signed cornerback KeiVarae Russell off of the practice squad, and in a corresponding move, waived wide receiver Auden Tate.

It’s quite surprising to see Tate, a seventh-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, be waived after just six weeks of the season. He had a great showing in training camp and the preseason, enough to think his spot was secure for 2018. Alas, he couldn’t find a way to contribute on special teams, which is why he was inactive in Weeks 1-6, so the Bengals opted to waive him in hopes of getting him to the practice squad.

As for Russell, he spent the previous two seasons on the 53-man roster before being waived during final cut this year. Originally a third-round draft pick of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2016, Russell has played in 13 games for the Bengals over the past two seasons, recording eight tackles on defense with one interception.

He surprisingly failed to make the 53-man roster this year, so his promotion to the roster comes as no surprise with the secondary banged up. Darqueze Dennard is not expected to play on Sunday as he deals with a shoulder injury. Shawn Williams is iffy to play while recovering from a concussion, so the secondary is banged up heading to Kansas City to face potentially the NFL’s best offense.

Russell will likely see the field on Sunday. If Tate clears waivers, expect him to be moved to the practice squad.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:28 PM, SF2 said:

I wonder if the league wants the Andy Dalton led Cincinnati Bengals to win or the new face of the NFL for the next 15 years, the Patrick Mahomes led Chiefs to win?  Its a tough choice but I think the home team will have a slight advantage from the Zebras. 

If you really believe these games are rigged why would you even watch or care?  I don't get that.

Actually, KC is a pretty nice place.  Clean city from what I remember.  It is landlocked though.  Long way to beach or mountains.  Lake of the Ozarks is nearby, but crazy overcrowded. 

They had better get after Mahomes because I don't think the secondary will have any answer for Tyreek Hill. 

It's still October and the Bengals are playing an Andy Reid coached team.  Chiefs win.  If this were later in November or December I would load up on the Bengals.  Much like you can count on Lewis to lose big games you can count on Reid's teams to look good until the weather turns cold. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/19/17995578/5-bengals-who-need-to-play-to-the-best-of-their-ability-to-beat-the-chiefs-andy-dalton-john-ross

5 Bengals Who Need to Shine Sunday Night

In what will be the biggest game of the Bengals’ season so far, the team’s primetime matchup with the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium will have something for everyone’s taste. How will Cincinnati’s quarterback play under the lights with a narrative chasing him? Can the team’s most explosive offensive weapon remain healthy to help out his quarterback? What about the young pass rusher who has flashed but hasn’t put together a full game yet?

There are plenty of names to watch for when the Bengals take on the Chiefs, but here’s the five that will attract our attention the most and who the team is relying on to bring home a win.

Andy Dalton

Every week now, the Bengals have a chance to win because of their quarterback. In seven in and a half years of the Dalton era, how many times could we comfortably say that?

Dalton’s 94.4 passer rating and 6.39 adjusted net yards per attempt place him 14th and 15th in the NFL respectively due to the boom the passing game has seen this season, but his consistency is what has kept the Bengals competitive all year against a decently tough strength of schedule. And while he already played well in one primetime game this year, the Sunday night stage is one that Dalton’s Bengals have yet to conquer.

It’s been three years since the Bengals have been featured on Sunday Night Football, but the last time they were, Dalton played well enough for them to win. Against the Cardinals in 2015, Dalton threw for 315 yards and two touchdowns and finished with a passer rating of 99.8.

The primetime narrative has played itself out and over the last few years, playing under the lights hasn’t been as big of an issue for the Bengals quarterback as the narrative would make it seem. Now, Dalton gets to go up against the defense that is in the bottom three in the NFL in expected points added

The Bengals aren’t going to win this game if they can’t keep up with the Chiefs offense, and that falls on Dalton’s shoulders. He should have little problem doing so, but it’s just another hurdle he and the team have to get over.

John Ross

Helping out Dalton will be Ross, who should be active for the first time since Week 4 against the Falcons when he scored his second touchdown of the season.

When the Bengals offense struggled to sustain drives against the Dolphins, it was obvious the lack of a deep threat crippled the Bengals enough where 112 yards from A.J. Green wasn’t enough to score more than 13 points on offense. They did better against the Stealers a week later, but Ross’ absence paved the way for Cody Coreand Josh Malone to play and do absolutely nothing as compliments to Green and Tyler Boyd.

Ross’ durability issues are an annoyance from an outsiders perspective, but his impact on the offense is worth dealing with it. With a clean week of practice under him, he should be salivating for a chance to go up against a weak Kansas City secondary to, once again, get back on track.

Sam Hubbard

The Bengals defensive line remains talented even with defensive tackle Ryan Glasgow on injured reserve, but some of that talent needs to be producing at a more consistent rate. Hubbard is no exception.

10 of the Bengals’ 13 sacks have come from Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap, along with the majority of pressures too. The three other sacks have come Carl Lawson, Shawn Williams and Hubbard. While we all expected more than one sack from Lawson by this point, he’s still accumulating consistent pressure on the quarterback. Hubbard cannot say the same, despite similar opportunity against the pass.

Hubbard has a chance to put a solid game together against a Chiefs interior offensive line that’s playing a backup at right guard and will likely be playing a backup at center. Collapsing quarterback Patrick Mahomes’ pockets from the inside will be crucial to limiting him, and Atkins can’t do it alone. Hubbard needs a big game.

Jordan Evans

The most underwhelming part of the Stealers game last week was how lost the Bengals’ linebackers looked. There was a reason why Evans was starting for Vontaze Burfict in the first four games of the season instead of Vincent Rey. The second-year player provides at least some sense of athletic ability when playing in space over the veteran Rey, but you could see that mental mishaps still limited his effectiveness. Perhaps this was why Rey filled in for Nick Vigil last week when he went down with a knee injury.

In predictable fashion, Rey played terribly and Evans was once again forced onto the field to salvage anything at the position. Vigil will remain out for the next few weeksand Evans will once again see playing time in relief, this time at SAM linebacker instead of WILL when he replaced Burfict. This will give him plenty of meetings with tight end Travis Kelce entering his zone.

Tony McRae

Williams has a chance to play in this game, but Darqueze Dennard will miss the matchup. Because of this, the team promoted cornerback KeiVarae Russell off the practice squad and subsequently waived wide receiver Auden Tate. Russell will help the depth in the secondary, but McRae will get the call to start in the slot once again.

When the Stealers saw McRae take over for the injured Dennard, they went after him multiple times and eventually won the game because of it. A lack of communication with McRae and William Jackson mixed with a bad play call by defensive coordinator Teryl Austin led to the Stealers’ game-winning touchdown. Fortunately for McRae, his day was about as bad as Dennard’s was, and how he responds against a much more formidable opponent will be significant.

The Bengals need McRae to hold his own when matching up with whomever the Chiefs put in the slot. His competence will allow the Bengals to stay in their nickel personnel to counter the Chiefs’ passing game and keep their best pass rushers on the field. If he can’t perform up to expectation, it could be Darius Phillips’ turn to try until Dennard returns.

I'd add to the list of 5 Bengals Who Need To Shine:

Geno Atkins: With Mitch Morse out, Geno Atkins can hopefully disrupt Chiefs running game and get pressure on Patrick Mahomes. Need Geno to have one of his big games and put the fear into Kansas City's offense.

Joe Mixon: With the Chiefs giving up 5.4 yards per carry, Mixon has the opportunity (should he be given it) to take over this game and make a statement. Mixon can help the Bengals control the clock. A big game by Mixon could equal a win for the Bengals.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Joe Mixon: With the Chiefs giving up 5.4 yards per carry, Mixon has the opportunity (should he be given it) to take over this game and make a statement. Mixon can help the Bengals control the clock. A big game by Mixon could equal a win for the Bengals.

5.4 YPC? That's worse then terrible. If Mixon doesn't get at least 15-20 carries someones head should roll. Plus, it keeps the ball out of the Chiefs hands.

Archived