The Beautiful Good Bad and Ugly Bengals at the Chiefs.

Good: 

- Andy was fine under very difficult circumstances.  Yeah, he tried to force it to AJ on the pick-6, but I think the Bengals were trying to get some PI flags the whole game and refused to back down.  At some point you have to adjust to the fact the refs are simply allowing guys to literally ride on your receivers backs and just run the fucking thing, but that's not Andy's fault.

- Shawn Williams for attempting to send a message, league rules be damned.

- I thought WJIII played well when calls were made that actually required him to show up.

- Driskel looked decent in garbage time.  I was surprised how god-damned fast of a runner he is, I mean holy shit.

Bad:

- Bobby Hart

- Hopkins had some very weak moments that were drive-killers.

- Kirkpatrick watching receivers catch it in front of him.

- Some baffling calls on the offensive side (shovel pass?  No running?)

- Mark Walton had some very weak moments as well... hesitating, completely failing on blocks, etc.

Ugly:

- Defensive play calling

- Defensive non-tackling

- Yet *another* late score by the opponent in the first half because the Bengals don't know how to manage the clock.

- Fej's induction into the Bungle Hall of Fame with the fumble on a punt snap.

- Refs

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/22/18007270/bengals-at-chiefs-1-winner-many-losers-cincinnati-45-10-primetime-letdown

Once again, the Bengals get demolished on a primetime stage. Their 45-10 defeat to the Kansas City Chiefs is just the latest example of their ineptitude to prepare and execute under the bright lights. 

While it was frustrating that the same issues seemed to haunt the Bengals, this was a game that their offense should’ve at least kept it close throughout the game. Instead, the entire team made the Chiefs look like the team of the decade. And maybe they are. Patrick Mahomes’ arm talent is something else and Andy Reid is getting the most out of him.

But amidst the Bengals colossal loss, there was one player that should feel good about himself:

Winners:

A.J. Green: At one point, the entire Bengals offense was quarterback Andy Dalton targeting his favorite receiver. 

At the end of the day, this reality was the same. Green accounted for nearly 80% of Dalton’s passing yards. If it wasn’t for Running back Joe Mixon’s 50 yards on the ground, the Bengals wouldn’t have moved the ball without Green.

Losers:

Andy Dalton: Did he play awful for most of the game? No, but the NFL is so quarterback driven that it’s nearly impossible to win if your quarterback gets outplayed. Dalton lead two scoring drives and finished his performance with 148 yards on 15-29 passing with a touchdown and a pick-six each. On the other side, Patrick Mahomes torched the Bengals defense with 358 yards passing and four touchdowns. The Bengals needed to keep up with Mahomes, and Dalton and the Bengals offense didn’t do nearly enough.

Anyone who tried to tackle Kareem Hunt: This may as well include the entire defense. The Chiefs running back had yards from scrimmage and three touchdowns. A lot of those yards came after contact and by default, missed tackles. 

The main culprits were Dre Kirkpatrick and Vontaze Burfict, who specifically had another underwhelming game before he left the contest with a hip injury. The Bengals looked soft on defense and it started from their veteran leaders who just didn’t get the job done.

Carl Lawson: After not playing much against the Stealers, Lawson saw a lot more action against the Chiefs, but he didn’t create much pressure in the process. Through seven games, Lawson only has one sack and his inability to win off the snap against the Chiefs was a major problem. While Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap got pressure in Mahomes’ face, Lawson struggled, and probably deserves some flack for his lack of finishing this season.

Bobby Hart: The Bengals right tackle had a solid performance last week against the Stealers, but he came back down to earth tonight. Hart got beat by Dee Ford multiple times off the edge, and committed a crucial false start penalty that drove the offense back five yards on third down. Two plays later... 

Clayton Fejedelem: The Bengals were attempting to punt for the third time of the night near midfield, and their special teams captain got in the way of the snap, leading to the ball hitting off of his arm and the Bengals losing 11 yards on fourth down. The Chiefs would score their second touchdown and take a 14-point lead early in the second quarter, swinging the momentum in their favor and creating a deficit the Bengals couldn’t overcome.

Marvin Lewis: Many fans have gripes about defensive coordinator Teryl Austin for consistently underutilizing his defense week after week. Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor also deserves fault for the offense only scoring twice against one of the worst defenses in the league.

But this is Marvin Lewis’ team, and once again, he failed to prepare his team in a primetime game. The coordinators may change, the assistants may change, but some things never do. Lewis has no excuse after 15-and-a-half years to continually get embarrassed on the national stage.

40 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Many fans have gripes about defensive coordinator Teryl Austin for consistently underutilizing his defense week after week. Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor also deserves fault for the offense only scoring twice against one of the worst defenses in the league.

But this is Marvin Lewis’ team, and once again, he failed to prepare his team in a primetime game. The coordinators may change, the assistants may change, but some things never do. Lewis has no excuse after 15-and-a-half years to continually get embarrassed on the national stage.

Ouch.   The truth hurts... 

Yeah last night sucked hard but I really didnt think the Bengals stood much of a chance anyway. Injuries at key positions and history in prime time going against a super bowl favorite I figured theyd get beat. I didnt think they would get absolutely demolished but they do still have a chance to go into the bye with a winning record at 5-3. If they cant get guys like Price, Gio and Vigil back coming out of the bye I think the Bengals can win the north. This next game is massive. 

29 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Ouch.   The truth hurts... 

Exactly.

Everything comes back to Marvin Lewis.

Throughout the entire game (and many others) he just STOOD there.

He has ZERO respect from the players.  He is just something to walk around

on their way to the next cup of Gatorade.

A team is a reflection of its coach and he has obviously and absolutely GIVEN UP.

Why shouldn't they?

I'm assuming they lose this week to Tampa Bay.

Besides the fact that most of the players simply are not that good,

ZERO heart and motivation.

I'm waiting for the bye week to see what is done.

Going to say Austin is out, Jim Haslett promoted to DC not because

he is so good but just because he's there.  Hopefully he will be

a placeholder until Vance Joseph is fired in Denver and can come

back here to take that position until Marvin leaves in another 16 years.

Firing Marvin would be the biggest shake up but that ain't gonna happen.

Lazor to head coach, Pollack to OC.  But not going to happen,

But I am looking forward to the Bye Week to see what happens even

though I know what it will be.  Nothing.

BTW ... we are going to split with the Browns and possibly swept.

Exactly.
Everything comes back to Marvin Lewis.
Throughout the entire game (and many others) he just STOOD there.
He has ZERO respect from the players.  He is just something to walk around
on their way to the next cup of Gatorade.
A team is a reflection of its coach and he has obviously and absolutely GIVEN UP.
Why shouldn't they?

I'm assuming they lose this week to Tampa Bay.
Besides the fact that most of the players simply are not that good,
ZERO heart and motivation.

I'm waiting for the bye week to see what is done.
Going to say Austin is out, Jim Haslett promoted to DC not because
he is so good but just because he's there.  Hopefully he will be
a placeholder until Vance Joseph is fired in Denver and can come
back here to take that position until Marvin leaves in another 16 years.

Firing Marvin would be the biggest shake up but that ain't gonna happen.
Lazor to head coach, Pollack to OC.  But not going to happen,

But I am looking forward to the Bye Week to see what happens even
though I know what it will be.  Nothing.

BTW ... we are going to split with the Browns and possibly swept.
? Promoting someone whose squad only scored 10 points against a very bad defense is like rehiring Dave Shula... No Ninja

Sent from my 2PS64 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

It's only one game.

Everyone knew this game was a bad matchup.

Our LBs and DBs had no answer for the speed at their skill positions.

What is inexcusable is that we could only muster 10 points.

Tyler Boyd only having 3 catches is ridiculous.

I still think we finish 10-6.

16 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

It's only one game.

Everyone knew this game was a bad matchup.

Our LBs and DBs had no answer for the speed at their skill positions.

What is inexcusable is that we could only muster 10 points.

Tyler Boyd only having 3 catches is ridiculous.

I still think we finish 10-6.

That was pretty much what I was going to say. 10-6 is do-able. See how they respond. 

28 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That was pretty much what I was going to say. 10-6 is do-able. See how they respond. 

I was waiting to see how they responded after last week's loss to Pittspuke and this is what we got. 

Hopefully they will come out pissed off next week and take it out on Tampa Bay.

34 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I was waiting to see how they responded after last week's loss to Pittspuke and this is what we got. 

Hopefully they will come out pissed off next week and take it out on Tampa Bay.

I'd say Tampa is an even matchup; similarly mediocre / inconsistent.  Just depends on who shows up for each team.

We never had a chance vs. KC, especially with the absence of QB sacks or even pressures.  AFCN generally sucks, I suppose luckily for us?

5 minutes ago, CinciFan said:

I'd say Tampa is an even matchup; similarly mediocre / inconsistent.  Just depends on who shows up for each team.

We never had a chance vs. KC, especially with the absence of QB sacks or even pressures.  AFCN generally sucks, I suppose luckily for us?

Bengals are 6 point favorites

Archived