The Beautiful Good Bad and Ugly Bengals at the Chiefs.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

That was pretty much what I was going to say. 10-6 is do-able. See how they respond. 

Where are we getting 6 more wins?

At the end of the day, Marvin and company have built another borderline wildcard team at the VERY BEST.   Marvin is in his 16th year and he once again has a team that may be the 5th or 6th best team in the AFC.   

The only team Marvin has ever coached IN 16 YEARS that was better than 5th or 6th in the AFC once the playoffs began was the 2015 team.    It is painfully obvious to all that there is little to no chance this team makes it to the AFC Championship game.  We are nowhere close to NE or KC and won't be at the end of the season.  Hell, the Chargers are WAY better than we are.   

Last 4 games we go 1-3.  @Chargers, Raiders, @Cleveland, @Stealers.   

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

But at the end of the day, Marvin and company have built another borderline wildcard team.   Marvin is in his 16th year and he once again has a team that may be the 5th or 6th best team in the AFC AT BEST.   The only team Marvin has ever coached that was better than 5th or 6th in the AFC was the 2015 team.    It is painfully obvious to all that there is little to no chance this team makes it to the AFC Championship game.  We are nowhere close to NE or KC and won't be at the end of the season.  Hell, the Chargers are WAY better than we are.  

I always try to stay optimistic but yeah hard to disagree. Agree the Chargers are as well. It's been such a long time since this team has gone out and just dominated esp like the 2 superbowl seasons. You just expected them to roll, at least I did those years. When they do have a game they should easily win they seem to play down to the competition and it ends up being closer than it should be. Then when they play somebody that's a heavy favorite, it seems they can't even make it close. I can't even remember the last game that we just blew a team out by 2 plus td's. Anyone?

Is there some reason why Ross cant be used like Hill?  Im being serious here.  Why in the hell cant he be used in space or atleast give him an opportunity?  I thought the offense looked different this year through the first six games even in the two losses.  I felt like Andy wasnt just dropping back and zeroing in on Green like he did last night.  Where is the creativity with a player like ross.  I mean the Bears have figured out the same thing with Cohen.  Get your guys who can fly the ball in space and give them an opportunity.  

7 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Is there some reason why Ross cant be used like Hill?  Im being serious here.  Why in the hell cant he be used in space or atleast give him an opportunity?  I thought the offense looked different this year through the first six games even in the two losses.  I felt like Andy wasnt just dropping back and zeroing in on Green like he did last night.  Where is the creativity with a player like ross.  I mean the Bears have figured out the same thing with Cohen.  Get your guys who can fly the ball in space and give them an opportunity.  

Ross hurt himself again yesterday early.  We cant use Ross like Hill or at all because he cant practice or stay on the field.  Best to trade him and try to get some of his pay covered so we can open up a roster spot. At least IR him and bring Tate back up.

I hate to disagree but I don't see this team as a wildcard. If they are they will get eliminated yet again in the first round. Even when they are healthy the LB corps of this team is average at best and now that Vigil is out and Burfict is a non factor opposing teams know it and take advantage. The Bengals track record for picking LBs in the Marvin Lewis era is dismal. Mike in his cheapness has managed to make the offensive line truly offensive. What happened to the great DL we were told about early in the season? Is Austin really this bad? Shades of Leslie Frazier maybe. With a mediocre OL and to this point a mediocre defense as well 8-8 is looking like the best we  can hope for. 

The beautiful: That spin move to break Dre's tackle was pretty sweet.

The Good: It was only one game

The Bad: Just about everything

The Ugly: This is one of those season defining losses right on the heels of another season defining loss. The loss to the Stealers was a heart breaker, this was a back breaker. If I'm Andy Dalton or AJ Green, I'm not sure how I wake up excited to go to work on Tuesday. Defense sucks, O-Line sucks, passes are getting dropped by some guy named "Lengel" who you thought was the ball boy up until last week.

9 minutes ago, BengalTillIDie said:

I hate to disagree but I don't see this team as a wildcard. If they are they will get eliminated yet again in the first round. Even when they are healthy the LB corps of this team is average at best and now that Vigil is out and Burfict is a non factor opposing teams know it and take advantage. The Bengals track record for picking LBs in the Marvin Lewis era is dismal. Mike in his cheapness has managed to make the offensive line truly offensive. What happened to the great DL we were told about early in the season? Is Austin really this bad? Shades of Leslie Frazier maybe. With a mediocre OL and to this point a mediocre defense as well 8-8 is looking like the best we  can hope for. 

Like I said, borderline wildcard at best.  I dont see where they get 6 more wins to get to 10-6 and your analysis is spot on. We would need some seriously great coaching going forward and I dont see that either.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Where are we getting 6 more wins?

At the end of the day, Marvin and company have built another borderline wildcard team at the VERY BEST.   Marvin is in his 16th year and he once again has a team that may be the 5th or 6th best team in the AFC.   

The only team Marvin has ever coached IN 16 YEARS that was better than 5th or 6th in the AFC once the playoffs began was the 2015 team.    It is painfully obvious to all that there is little to no chance this team makes it to the AFC Championship game.  We are nowhere close to NE or KC and won't be at the end of the season.  Hell, the Chargers are WAY better than we are.   

Last 4 games we go 1-3.  @Chargers, Raiders, @Cleveland, @Stealers.   

Chargers and saints are the only tough games outside the division unless you're assuming that they'll look like they did last night for the rest of the season. This happens after every bad loss on this board. One week we're in first place, the next week the season's over.

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Like I said, borderline wildcard at best.  I dont see where they get 6 more wins to get to 10-6 and your analysis is spot on. We would need some seriously great coaching going forward and I dont see that either.

This is how i see it shaking out:

Tampa Bay @ home- Win (5-3)

Bye- Cant lose right?

New Orleans @ home-  Shaky Win (6-3)

Ravens on the road- Loss (6-4)

Browns @ home- Win (7-4)

Broncos @ home- Win (8-4)

Chargers on the road- Definite Loss (8-5)

Raiders @ home- Win (9-5)

Browns on the road - Loss (9-6)  This will be the game in my opinion that breaks their back for good.

Stealers on the road- do i really need to tell you what this is? (9-7)

9-7.  Regardless if they somehow pull out 10-6 with a postseason birth, we witnessed everything we needed to know about their true chances of competing for a title last night.  Another once promising year down the drain.  Fire Marvin. Get a fresh face in that place and light a fire under the remaining and incoming talent.  

1 minute ago, SouthPaw said:

Bye- Cant lose right?

New Orleans @ home-  Shaky Win (6-3)

Ravens on the road- Loss (6-4)

Browns @ home- Win (7-4)

Chargers on the road- Definite Loss (8-5)

Raiders @ home- Win (9-5)

Browns on the road - Loss (9-6)  This will be the game in my opinion that breaks their back for good.

Stealers on the road- do i really need to tell you what this is? (9-7)

9-7.  Another once promising year down the drain.  Fire Marvin. Get a fresh face in that place and light a fire under the remaining and incoming talent.  

You said "Fire Marvin.". That's a good one.

4 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Hahaha. I know.  You absolutely have to a some point dont you?  Or he has to get tired and give it up, no?

One would think, but MB's had golden opportunity after another and Marvin's still here. Collinsworth brought up the tired, old "look where they were before Marvin got here" bit.  Like we have to keep Marvin so we don't revert to the dark ages of bengaldom. And like Coughlin wouldn't have had the same results or better. Marvin is the only coach that could've rescued us.

22 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Chargers and saints are the only tough games outside the division unless you're assuming that they'll look like they did last night for the rest of the season. This happens after every bad loss on this board. One week we're in first place, the next week the season's over.

Two things:  

Our offense wasn't good against a Stealers team with a marginal defense and terrible against the worst defense in the league last night. Dalton lost Eifert and now he only trusts AJ and sometimes Boyd.   There is no reason to expect the offense to be effective against Baltimore when it can't even score against Kansas City. 

Our defensive line can't pressure the QB and our linebackers are so bad we can't even blitz or cover tight ends.  That is why teams like New Orleans will cut us to ribbons.  Burfict is a shell of his former self. 

18 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

I honestly don't think so.  The Bengals' motivation and mental preparedness is fragile at best and the last two losses will not be overcome, mentally, in a week.  I still go back to Marvin absolutely looked like he had quit and quit on the team Sunday.  I can see the team following suit or at the very least not caring to play for that loser.

I would like to see that.  Love to see Vance Joseph fired in Denver and come here as Defensive Coordinator.

This team is going nowhere with Marvin Lewis as coach.

18 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Two things:  

Our offense wasn't good against a Stealers team with a marginal defense and terrible against the worst defense in the league last night. Dalton lost Eifert and now he only trusts AJ and sometimes Boyd.   There is no reason to expect the offense to be effective against Baltimore when it can't even score against Kansas City. 

Our defensive line can't pressure the QB and our linebackers are so bad we can't even blitz or cover tight ends.  That is why teams like New Orleans will cut us to ribbons.  Burfict is a shell of his former self. 

Burfict is a shell of himself.  Blatantly apparent last night.  I was not alarmed that they gave up 45 to KC.  I was more alarmed they didnt drop 30+ in return.   

19 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Burfict is a shell of himself.  Blatantly apparent last night.  I was not alarmed that they gave up 45 to KC.  I was more alarmed they didnt drop 30+ in return.   

Exactly.  Don't forget, KC had a 4th and 4 on our 5 yard line in the 4th and ran a pretty conservative run play that failed.  Could have easily been 52 points.   

We had 174 yards passing on 9 possessions against the 31st ranked pass defense.  3 second half points.   Only had 7 second half points against Pittspuke.  Lets also not forget that we could have easily lost to Miami if not for their Left Tackle going down and our defense scoring 14, 4th quarter points.   The offense has been very bad the last 3 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Exactly.  Don't forget, KC had a 4th and 4 on our 5 yard line in the 4th and ran a pretty conservative run play that failed.  Could have easily been 52 points.   

We had 174 yards passing on 9 possessions against the 31st ranked pass defense.  3 second half points.   Only had 7 second half points against Pittspuke.  Lets also not forget that we could have easily lost to Miami if not for their Left Tackle going down and our defense scoring 14, 4th quarter points.   The offense has been very bad the last 3 weeks. 

Absolutely right.  I didnt really think much of it against Pittsburgh because you can usually throw out what you think you know when those two play.  However, against Miami and KC it was atrocious.  Eifert effect?

Still don't understand why Andy isn't looking for Boyd more often.

As soon as they start double teaming AJ, look for Boyd, especially from the slot.

Andy did this in the Atlanta game.

Once the teams starts cheating to wherever Boyd is, throw it to AJ, or Mixon underneath

It ain't rocket science

10 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Still don't understand why Andy isn't looking for Boyd more often.

As soon as they start double teaming AJ, look for Boyd, especially from the slot.

Andy did this in the Atlanta game.

Once the teams starts cheating to wherever Boyd is, throw it to AJ, or Mixon underneath

It ain't rocket science

No Eifert, Gio or Kroft like he had verses Atlanta. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/22/18008788/john-ross-was-declared-out-last-night-with-a-groin-injury-bengals-wide-receiver

John Ross quietly exited the game with what appears to be the same nagging groin injury that held him out against the Dolphins and Stealers.

By PatrickJudis@PatrickJudis  Updated Oct 22, 2018, 10:18am EDTSHARE

In the midst of the Bengals getting destroyed by the Chiefs, wide receiver John Ross was declared out in the middle of the game with a groin injury.

It’s likely the same groin injury he suffered against the Falcons when he scored a touchdown and was seen limping into the endzone.

That injury kept him out of games against the Dolphins and Stealers. This was his first week in which he was back out there, but he only saw one target where his legs got tangled with the defender’s (in what some have said should’ve been called a penalty ... Thought so, too. HSH). Outside of that play we never saw Andy Dalton go his way again.

It wasn’t until late in the fourth quarter that the Bengals finally handed down news that Ross would not return to the contest. He played 51 percent of the Bengals’ offensive snaps against the Chiefs.  (Huh?  And was thrown to once.  Andy has lots of confidence in this one)

You have to wonder if Ross was declared out due to aggravating the injury, or if the Bengals saw the game was out of reach and decided to be safe with their former top 10 selection who has had issues staying healthy. 

We will update you as more information becomes available.

17 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/22/18008788/john-ross-was-declared-out-last-night-with-a-groin-injury-bengals-wide-receiver

John Ross quietly exited the game with what appears to be the same nagging groin injury that held him out against the Dolphins and Stealers.

By PatrickJudis@PatrickJudis  Updated Oct 22, 2018, 10:18am EDTSHARE

In the midst of the Bengals getting destroyed by the Chiefs, wide receiver John Ross was declared out in the middle of the game with a groin injury.

It’s likely the same groin injury he suffered against the Falcons when he scored a touchdown and was seen limping into the endzone.

That injury kept him out of games against the Dolphins and Stealers. This was his first week in which he was back out there, but he only saw one target where his legs got tangled with the defender’s (in what some have said should’ve been called a penalty ... Thought so, too. HSH). Outside of that play we never saw Andy Dalton go his way again.

It wasn’t until late in the fourth quarter that the Bengals finally handed down news that Ross would not return to the contest. He played 51 percent of the Bengals’ offensive snaps against the Chiefs.  (Huh?  And was thrown to once.  Andy has lots of confidence in this one)

You have to wonder if Ross was declared out due to aggravating the injury, or if the Bengals saw the game was out of reach and decided to be safe with their former top 10 selection who has had issues staying healthy. 

We will update you as more information becomes available.

He played in 51% of the offensive snaps last night???? Are you shitting me?  I never saw him do anything except fall down once. 

I think not having Gio is much harder to take for the offense than missing Eifert.  Eifert + Kroft being gone isn't great, though.  The other two (Schrek and Lengel) both proved they're no threat last night.

The weird thing about last night was they would almost ONLY pass to AJ.  Now, part of that (as Collinsworth pointed out) is that KC seem to be trying to leave Scandrick on an island a fair amount of the time, and yes, you always go to AJ when he's one on one.  Collinsworth's misplaced praise aside, that only seems viable because Scandrick is literally wrapped around his man from the LOS until the play ends, and the refs appear to be happy to let that go.  Not only that, KC started to "bait" the Bengals into this as the game went on, and THEY KEPT DOING IT.  The INT was a guy starting out man to man on the TE, and suddenly dropping off toward AJ (who was actually already doubled, but had inside position).  They almost intercepted it again later in similar fashion.  This is a major failure in adjustment on the Bengals part (and a masterstroke on the Chiefs' part). 

They should have run the ball down their throats all day, but it seemed like they figured the refs HAD to *eventually* start calling the constant PI's, but they didn't until the game was already out of hand (and at in least one case the defender certainly didn't expect to get called for it - this is when Uzomah got raped and jumped wildly for a pass he had no chance on because of it, and the defender danced around like a fool - even though he had just hung off his man's neck like an undersexed lemur).

I also suspect that they wanted to use Ross more than they actually could (or perhaps than Andy was willing to).  Once he was out, they didn't seem to have anything in the game plan.  As we all know many NFL teams today seem "stuck" with whatever game plan they came in with (Bengals being the most "stuck" it seems), and once that gets messed up through injury or otherwise, they look like a 100% vanilla preseason team.  That's what the Bengals looked like to me after Ross went down.  I can only recall one play that was going to him (a long bomb of course) but he got tripped up with the defender before ever getting a chance to try for the pass.  I was really frustrated on that one because Collinsworth simply said "yeah that was incidental", but they never showed the fucking replay and we couldn't see for ourselves.  They showed Andy's face after and he was shaking his head with that half-smirk that said "fucking refs won't call anything".  I suspect Ross got dirtied just like every other receiver was all game.

To end this long diatribe I'll just say that until we run plays that avoid defenses taking advantage of apathetic refs we're going nowhere.  The Pats are masters at this.  I also STRONGLY suspect that Austin has been told (by Marvin) to cut back the expanded blitzes that we saw earlier in the season (that worked really well by the way), because Marvin has long said he prefers a line-only blitz scheme over the backs joining in.  Zim was great with that, but I truly believe Austin isn't really running his system.

Archived