Burfict "Dirty Play" vs Chiefs?

10 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

If Vontaze Burfict was just a hard-hitting motherfucker knocking snot bubbles out of opponents due to the sheer force of his violent hits and getting flagged, I'd have no problem with the guy. The problem is that he is a dirty bastard who head hunts, twists legs, punches nuts, stands over fallen players and takes liberties after the whistle. I've got no time for that. And neither does the league. 

Unless of course it's, say, Rob Gronkowski dropping an elbow on a guy out of bounds & after the whistle.  Definitely got time for that.  He's just very competitive and lost his temper for a moment, which is totally understandable when you're a winner that does things the Patriot way & works very hard.  Yep, all the time in the world for such a class act who is definitely, definitely not a Vicious Thug.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Unless of course it's, say, Rob Gronkowski dropping an elbow on a guy out of bounds & after the whistle.  Definitely got time for that.  He's just very competitive and lost his temper for a moment, which is totally understandable when you're a winner that does things the Patriot way & works very hard.  Yep, all the time in the world for such a class act who is definitely, definitely not a Vicious Thug.

Gronk got a 1 game suspension for that hit and he doesnt have a laudry list of previous incidents.  And the Patriot way cost Tom Brady 4 games for not having enough air in the footballs and not giving the douche commish his cell phone. Bellicheat got fined $500k for spygate, largest fine for a coach ever and max allowed.   Again, Brady was suspended 4 games because the Commissioner believed he intentionally didn't put enough air in the footballs.  Edelman got 4 games for PEDs, just like everyone else.  Deflecting to another team does not absolve Burfict what so ever. 

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That was one dirty ass play but saying, "Look over there" doesn't change the fact that Burfict is (to bastardize the late Dennis Green), "Who we thought he was". Not sure if we Bengals fans have intentional amnesia but, this is the EXACT same guy who went from first round draft prospect to UDFA for a reason. He didn't smoke crack, he wasn't driving drunk, he wasn't smacking ladies or stealing cars...he was uncontrollable on the field. 32 NFL teams passed on him for seven rounds and then we decided he needed redeemin'. It seemed to work for a while but now the Bengals gamble appears to be to crapping out. Based on his latest comments, even Marvin Lewis seems to be sick of it. Again, it's too bad. The guy has the physical ability to a perennial Pro Bowler but he can't quit his favorite habit, playing dirty.

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

That was one dirty ass play but saying, "Look over there" doesn't change the fact that Burfict is (to bastardize the late Dennis Green), "Who we thought he was". Not sure if we Bengals fans have intentional amnesia but, this is the EXACT same guy who went from first round draft prospect to UDFA for a reason. He didn't smoke crack, he wasn't driving drunk, he wasn't smacking ladies or stealing cars...he was uncontrollable on the field. 32 NFL teams passed on him for seven rounds and then we decided he needed redeemin'. It seemed to work for a while but now the Bengals gamble appears to be to crapping out. Based on his latest comments, even Marvin Lewis seems to be sick of it. Again, it's too bad. The guy has the physical ability to a perennial Pro Bowler but he can't quit his favorite habit, playing dirty.

He is the exact same guy Dennis Erickson had to sit during practice because he intentionally hurt his own teammates.   Burfict was also benched by Erickson on numerous occaisions. The reason given was Burfict's unusually high number of personal foul penalties. In a game against Stanford, Burfict was called for grabbing the facemask of Doug Baldwin, and—after complaining to the referee—charged with a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct that gave Stanford a first down at the ASU 7. Two plays later, Stanford scored what turned out to be the winning touchdown.  30 yards in penalties late in the game.  Sound familiar?

And nothing could better represent the sheer disappointment of Burfict's Sun Devil career than the final quarter of ASU's epic four-game collapse. Burfict sat on the bench, a place he should have gotten familiar with far earlier. He was supposed to just miss a series but, according to multiple sources, told Erickson he wouldn't go back in (using less friendly words).

The team's collapse and the point Burfict officially resigned on the season did not go unnoticed by potential NFL suitors. 

Marvin brought him and gave him a chance.  He responded well for awhile but he simply could not maintain that discipline just like at ASU.  Ericskson did a poor job setting boundaries, the NFL will set them for you.   The rest of the league wanted no part of an out of control player who quit on his own team despite his talent.  The red flags could not have been flown any higher.   In stepped the redeemer. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Gronk got a 1 game suspension for that hit and he doesnt have a laudry list of previous incidents.  And the Patriot way cost Tom Brady 4 games for not having enough air in the footballs and not giving the douche commish his cell phone. Bellicheat got fined $500k for spygate, largest fine for a coach ever and max allowed.   Again, Brady was suspended 4 games because the Commissioner believed he intentionally didn't put enough air in the footballs.  Edelman got 4 games for PEDs, just like everyone else.  Deflecting to another team does not absolve Burfict what so ever. 

Deflect blame.  Easiest way to not have to look at yourself or those things in which you are affiliated with.    

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

He is the exact same guy Dennis Erickson had to sit during practice because he intentionally hurt his own teammates.   Burfict was also benched by Erickson on numerous occaisions. The reason given was Burfict's unusually high number of personal foul penalties. In a game against Stanford, Burfict was called for grabbing the facemask of Doug Baldwin, and—after complaining to the referee—charged with a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct that gave Stanford a first down at the ASU 7. Two plays later, Stanford scored what turned out to be the winning touchdown.  30 yards in penalties late in the game.  Sound familiar?

And nothing could better represent the sheer disappointment of Burfict's Sun Devil career than the final quarter of ASU's epic four-game collapse. Burfict sat on the bench, a place he should have gotten familiar with far earlier. He was supposed to just miss a series but, according to multiple sources, told Erickson he wouldn't go back in (using less friendly words).

The team's collapse and the point Burfict officially resigned on the season did not go unnoticed by potential NFL suitors. 

Marvin brought him and gave him a chance.  He responded well for awhile but he simply could not maintain that discipline just like at ASU.  Ericskson did a poor job setting boundaries, the NFL will set them for you.   The rest of the league wanted no part of an out of control player who quit on his own team despite his talent.  The red flags could not have been flown any higher.   In stepped the redeemer. 

But.....but.....but

You don't like him because you seem to conflate the Bengals national reputation with your own.   Its the same reason you hate Andy.  No one nationally sucks your emotional dick for liking a team with a media darling QB.   It's a public status symbol you seem to crave and it's sad.   I keep seeing "we" and "our" as if you're gonna go watch film and try to get better at reluctantly watching them on TV.

I'll root for Tez as long as he's a Bengal.   I'll root for Marvin as long as he's the head coach.  I won't waste my time on here trying to convince people to do the opposite because I think I'm some enlightened, vestigial appendix whose job it is to keep Bengals fandom elite.   

39 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

You don't like him because you seem to conflate the Bengals national reputation with your own.   Its the same reason you hate Andy.  No one nationally sucks your emotional dick for liking a team with a media darling QB.   It's a public status symbol you seem to crave and it's sad.   I keep seeing "we" and "our" as if you're gonna go watch film and try to get better at reluctantly watching them on TV.

I'll root for Tez as long as he's a Bengal.   I'll root for Marvin as long as he's the head coach.  I won't waste my time on here trying to convince people to do the opposite because I think I'm some enlightened, vestigial appendix whose job it is to keep Bengals fandom elite.   

I do not hate Andy, where did you get that idea?   Andy is an average starting QB.  We could do FAR worse.   Very effective when protected.

Rooting for Marvin Lewis means you are rooting for mediocrity.  Sorry, I won't do it.  He should have been let go after the San Diego playoff disaster. 11 years was more than enough time to get something accomplished and other than Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit, just making the playoffs is not success particularly with that 2013 team. Our offense was ENTIRELY healthy down to Tyler Eifert. Our oline had Whit, Zeitler along with  Andre Smith  having the BEST year in his career.   They managed 10 points and had piss running down their pants in the second half.   That is all on Marvin. 

Burfict is an enigma.  In a single playoff game he almost willed the team to a victory with an extraordinary performance for 59 minutes.   In one flash of utter stupidity he just couldn't resist targeting Antonio Brown on a pass play that wasn't even close.  Yeah, I know, it is Joey Porter's fault we lost.    Now he is a less effective lightning rod and distraction which will result in his eventual departure.   The nationwide campaign to get into his head has worked.  We need players who can show up almost every week and play effectively within the rules.  That would exclude Burfict.  Sure, I would love to see him return to form, play within the rules and be an important part of this team but what I saw the last few weeks looked like a defeated player and there is no way they are paying him $7.75 mil next year.

Sorry but guys like Bobby Wagner, Kahlil Mack, Justin Houston, Clowney etc  manage to play hard without repeatedly twisting ankles, punching guys in the nuts and head hunting.   We are lucky the Stealers targeted Burfict for revenge instead of AJ Green or Andy. 

You can't root for Burfict and then point fingers at the "other" dirty teams. You're just an orange and black version of a Mike Mitchell fan at that point. If you're going to celebrate guys getting head hunted, how can you complain when another team does it? If you can watch Burfict take a shot at AB's head all day long, how can you even possibly pretend to act offended that the Stealers fans love JuJu?

The fact of the matter is this: Burfict is much more of a distraction than a benefit. And this has been for a few years.

You KNOW that if it was anyone from the Stealers targeting AJ like that, you'd want their balls on a bamboo skewer. So now you're in the position of defending the guy when there's no benefit to doing so. When he plays he's either racking up bad fouls, still out of shape from his last suspension, or sliding off guys like condoms at a Vikings work outing. He's not winning us games. Based on your perspective, he may well be losing us games.

So, why be a hypocrite for a guy who pretty much sucks anyway? And since even his defenders say that he can't be a good player and not draw the flags and fines... What's the upside?

But I don't want to hear you guys bitch about dirty play from any other team ever again. You'd love INSERT PLAYER HERE if he was a Bengal. Pretty much the same insult you level at the media, steeler fans, and guys named "Chaz". You don't care that Big Ben's a rapist - You're mad that he's not our rapist. No wonder the Steeler trolls laugh at your thinly disguised envy.

It's like if Butkus was asked (commanded, decreed, penalized) to change his ways back in the '60's. If he took out what he did best--in order to conform to the rules (and yes, even he bent those loose ones back then to the breaking point), then it would stand to reason his overall value would have sunk next to nothing. 

Which is why I never listen to these league hierarchy hacks at HOF ceremonies, et al., where they talk about how these guys were "pillars of the game". 

(no, not comparing the thread subject to Dick Butkus..rather simply a context of just how far this once great game has fallen and turned into an avaricious freak-show circus)      

Kzhk.gif

So if you want the rules to be applied evenly & consistently that's deflection. Interesting. 

Not that it matters since Burfict is obviously going to get run out of the league, something he apparently deserves so much more than any other player ever. Or wait, it doesn't even matter if it's fair or reasonable because Vicious Thug (dogwhistle much?) and the Bengals suck so they deserve to be punished.  Never mind that other players get to do the same shit to our team and not only get away with it, but are celebrated for it. He did a bad thing so it's ok to punish him for it even if we ignore everyone else because we hate ourselves and punishment is good. He was probably trying to kill poor Ben even if he didn't actually hit him so he's gotta go. He deserves it. We ALL deserve it. Bad, bad doggie. Everything sucks. 

Just admit you're angry about the team losing and want to see someone, ANYONE, punished for it. 

Christ I hope some of you never get jury duty. The cartwheels being turned in here trying to justify this shit..  Kinda scary tbh. 

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So if you want the rules to be applied evenly & consistently that's deflection. Interesting. 

Not that it matters since Burfict is obviously going to get run out of the league, something he apparently deserves so much more than any other player ever. Or wait, it doesn't even matter if it's fair or reasonable because Vicious Thug (dogwhistle much?) and the Bengals suck so they deserve to be punished.  Never mind that other players get to do the same shit to our team and not only get away with it, but are celebrated for it. He did a bad thing so it's ok to punish him for it even if we ignore everyone else because we hate ourselves and punishment is good. He was probably trying to kill poor Ben even if he didn't actually hit him so he's gotta go. He deserves it. We ALL deserve it. Bad, bad doggie. Everything sucks. 

Just admit you're angry about the team losing and want to see someone, ANYONE, punished for it. 

Christ I hope some of you never get jury duty. The cartwheels being turned in here trying to justify this shit..  Kinda scary tbh. 

There have been 116 fines thus far in the NFL with 37 of them including suspension of 1 or more games. The idea that Burfict is being singled out and everyone else gets away with it is laughable.

15 minutes ago, SF2 said:

There have been 116 fines thus far in the NFL with 37 of them including suspension of 1 or more games. The idea that Burfict is being singled out and everyone else gets away with it is laughable.

And how many of them could you name without looking it up? Have any of them been smeared for 3 hours straight on SNF?

None of this matters anyway, he's going to get run out of the league & he's already effectively ruined, worrying that any tackle he makes is going to be dissected in slow motion like the fucking Zapruder film until they find an excuse.  The next time Gio or some other Bengal gets knocked out cold by the latest headhunting Steeler bitch we can all be thankful that at least they got rid of Burfict.  

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It's like if Butkus was asked (commanded, decreed, penalized) to change his ways back in the '60's. If he took out what he did best--in order to conform to the rules (and yes, even he bent those loose ones back then to the breaking point), then it would stand to reason his overall value would have sunk next to nothing. 

Which is why I never listen to these league hierarchy hacks at HOF ceremonies, et al., where they talk about how these guys were "pillars of the game". 

(no, not comparing the thread subject to Dick Butkus..rather simply a context of just how far this once great game has fallen and turned into an avaricious freak-show circus)      

Kzhk.gif

The reality is the size, strength and speed of these players has increased dramatically. Butkus was a freak at 6-3 245 and fast.  Guys like Lambert, Ted Hendricks, Nick Buoniconti and Jack Ham all weighed about 220. Ray Lewis was 6-1 250 and was way faster and stronger.  The rules had to change or guys would be leaving in body bags.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

And how many of them could you name without looking it up? Have any of them been smeared for 3 hours straight on SNF?

None of this matters anyway, he's going to get run out of the league & he's already effectively ruined, worrying that any tackle he makes is going to be dissected in slow motion like the fucking Zapruder film until they find an excuse.  The next time Gio or some other Bengal gets knocked out cold by the latest headhunting Steeler bitch we can all be thankful that at least they got rid of Burfict.  

It doesnt mattet how many I can name, they ARE GETTING FINED.

The last 2 head hunting Stealers: Shazier is in a wheelchair, the other (Mitchell) got tossed to the curb. Burfict made his own bed but for some reason you cant see it. The NFL wants to eliminate dangerous hits and getting rid of Burfict is a desirable outcome for the league from a liability standpoint.

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It doesnt mattet how many I can name, they ARE GETTING FINED.

The last 2 head hunting Stealers: Shazier is in a wheelchair, the other (Mitchell) got tossed to the curb. Burfict made his own bed but for some reason you cant see it. The NFL wants to eliminate dangerous hits and getting rid of Burfict is a desirable outcome for the league from a liability standpoint.

Yes those are the only headhunting Stealers, definitely not a coached thing there.  Just those 2 guys, and they are gone now, so it's all good. 

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yes those are the only headhunting Stealers, definitely not a coached thing there.  Just those 2 guys, and they are gone now, so it's all good. 

Defending Burfict's conduct on the field because the Stealers are worse is like defending Josef Stalin's behavior because Hitler and the Germans were so bad.  Give it a rest.  Anyone with an ounce of impartiality knows Burfict is a dirty player.  

16 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kzhk.gif

Of course, back then you could still smoke in the stadium, cars didn't have seat belts, and kids toys were made of sharp metal covered in lead paint.

And a lot of the guys on the receiving end of those hits are suing the NFL due to long term brain damage.

38 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

source-ls-mentioned-in-our-blog-www-unbe

Also called "Yeah, but ...".  In an argument/discussion the topic is changed with the introduction of "Yeah, but ..." and an apple is now compared to an orange.

"Vontaze Birfict is a dirty player."  "Yeah, but so was Ryan Shazier."  Shazier was not the topic.

As far as Burfict, (yeah, but) there are and have been worse in the league one way or another.

Ray Lewis f'n killed someone.  The ass clown quarterback coming to town Sunday beat a rape

rap mostly by being a college football hero (yeah, but she was drunk and should not have gotten

into the car with him and gone up to his apartment) and he also is a crab leg thief.

He is also an example of the old Norwood saying:

"I kick my dog, that's OK.  You kick my dog, I kick your ass."

He's our dog.

As far as Burfict, he will be out of the NFL in two years or fewer one way or another.

Unknown.jpeg

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Of course, back then you could still smoke in the stadium, cars didn't have seat belts, and kids toys were made of sharp metal covered in lead paint.

And a lot of the guys on the receiving end of those hits are suing the NFL due to long term brain damage.

You avoided the point, of course: that when speaking as to whether players' supposed "value" is dictated by the rules, then the quality of the player may be compromised. 

It's fine--changes take place all of the time. The NHL, for example, through its rules and importation of European players, has reduced fighting and random violent hits enormously. But I am, again, old-school...so the quality of the game has diminished to me. For others, not so much. 

If the NFL loses billions through litigation or diminished quality of the game, it matters not one iota to me. I have been done with this league for several years. I view it the same as I do Arena Football--casually, and without the slightest interest or belief in their protestations of "integrity"       

38 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You avoided the point, of course: that when speaking as to whether players' supposed "value" is dictated by the rules, then the quality of the player may be compromised. 

It's fine--changes take place all of the time. The NHL, for example, through its rules and importation of European players, has reduced fighting and random violent hits enormously. But I am, again, old-school...so the quality of the game has diminished to me. For others, not so much. 

If the NFL loses billions through litigation or diminished quality of the game, it matters not one iota to me. I have been done with this league for several years. I view it the same as I do Arena Football--casually, and without the slightest interest or belief in their protestations of "integrity"       

I think I hit the point right on the head... It's a different era.

Frankly, if leaving out the violent hits that cripple players turns you off, you have plenty of other options. Yachting has seen 30+ deaths in just the last few decades!

And let's be very clear here.... Burfict knows what the rules of this era are. Butkus came into an NFL "pussified" by Roosevelt and his forward pass because 19 guys died in 1905. I'm old school. It's just not football unless someone is dying at least every other game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football#Violence_and_controversy_(1905)

Butkus was drafted in 1965 - The same year Nader's "Unsafe at any speed" came out. I'm guessing cars don't interest you anymore now that the risk of explosion is now close to 0? Seat belts and padded steering wheels! Pussification! It's not really driving if you're not in constant fear of instant death!

It's not "Whataboutism" when we're talking about how the same rule is applied by the same governing body to different players.  It's not a distraction, it's entirely relevant.  It's about treating people equally & it's why we don't randomly cut off the hands of shoplifters instead of putting them on probation & assigning them 100 hours of community service like everyone else. It's why we don't stone women to death for adultery in this country. It's not some debate trick to point out we don't treat adulterous men that way, it's a fundamental question of justice & the legitimacy of who or what is assigning this punishment. 

Like I said before, I think some of you just kind of sadistically enjoy seeing someone punished & to hell with whether it's right, fair, or even deserved. 

Archived