Burfict "Dirty Play" vs Chiefs?

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

AKA you're obviously just trolling.  I mean FFS dude just twisted AJ's ankle after the TD catch, that shit happens constantly, but you're too busy swinging from my dick to notice.  Carry on.

If anyone is trolling it's you. And attack the post, not the poster please.

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I'm frustrated that this is just more of the ol' "Redeemer" crap on a guy that obviously isn't going to be redeemed.

I think everyone who is a long-time Bengals fan understands that, and I have full sympathy and understanding for someone who says "there is zero chance Burfict will ever be given the benefit of the doubt while he's still with the Bengals".  I think that's true, but I will still defend him if it's warranted, regardless.

This is another Odell Thurman. Who gives a crap how talented this guy is if he's not on the field?

I'm glad you chose the example of Thurman.  He is the "original" guy who Goodell just tossed to the scrap heap.  If I'm not mistaken he was the first or nearly the first guy Goodell suspended, and he was *immensely* harsh to Thurman compared to later cases.  Thurman to me was definitely a guy could have potentially been helped, but the league did the *opposite*.  He was dumb and he was a serious alcoholic - that's it.  But what did the league do?  Banned him from any contact with the team at all.  Left him to his own devices to "get help or else".  Sorry, if you've ever known a major alcoholic in your life you know they need support.  Instead the league sent him back to the hood and said "call us when you're better".  His teammates complained about this if you recall.  Anyway, bad example if you ask me.

By all accounts, he's a dirty player, a horrible human being, and a liability on the field. But hey, he made a great tackle!

Not according to several of his opponents.  When he got suspended for the supposed "cheap shot" on the KC RB in the preseason, that RB said it was perfectly fine and he should have had his head up.  KC players were asked before last week's game with the Bengals about Burfict, and they were at worst mildly tentative, at best outright supportive of his play.  He is definitely not universally maligned.

The Chiefs were baiting him - Yeah, well, they know he's a moron with poor self-control.

I didn't mention the Chiefs, but I know others did.  I totally expect other teams to try and bait him, that's not the issue.  It's that the refs/league allow it to happen no matter how serious it is.  I can recall *maybe* twice ever a player dirtying Burfict get called for it.  I mentioned the Stealers, because they do it constantly and with the most extreme dirtiness (stepping on/kicking him, slamming him head first after the play, etc).  Marvin has touched on this, and he agrees that Burfict simply has to deal with it, and maybe so.  It doesn't mean we as fans have to just shrug and accept that his mere presence buys him a difference in rule application, that's bull.  Hockey refs mostly gets this right - if someone is going to dirty you, don't retaliate, we'll get him later - but if you do retaliate, we'll get you (almost) every time.  Burfict spends most (or all) of the game not retaliating, in case you haven't noticed - instead he pleads his case to the refs (and Marvin) it just keeps going and going.  His self control has been good if you ask me (and I watch the games).

Sure, he missed... But in two games back, many posters have admitted to witnessing cringe inducing plays targeting a dude's head and maybe going after an ankle.

It's only cringe-inducing because you're expecting him to get called/thrown out/suspended, and you're hoping it won't happen.  Has he hit anyone in the head?  Did he twist an ankle?  Did any opponent have even a hint of being even mildly injured by Burfict?  The answer is no.  I guess he just *really* sucks at being dirty, right?

And unfortunately for Burfict - this fits with what we know about the guy. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. If you heard that Bill Cosby drugged a girl, but she managed to go down the fire escape while he was getting his special raping sweater on, would you say "But she escaped... Are you honestly going to say he was going to rape her when she managed to get away?" So, when you see a play that looks exactly like the one that got him suspended two years ago..... And if I had seen Nick Vigil make that same play - It doesn't fit Vigil's history, so I would assume it was more innocent. It sucks, but the police don't go looking in suburban churches to solve crimes either. They go where criminals are known to be.

Ridiculous Bill Cosby analogy aside, I for one have been saying this from the beginning.  He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, and he's earned it.  The problem is when he is *actually punished* when he did *not commit the crime*.  It's Thought Police bullshit.  What other player has ever been fined because the league *assumed* they were trying to hurt people but missed completely?  Completely!  A more apt Bill Cosby analogy would be - Bill talks to a woman, buys her a drink, then leaves.  The police come and say he meant to drug her, but must have.. forgotten them?  Or missed the glass?  But sure as hell MEANT to drug her, his history says so!

This team will never reach the mountain top while carrying Vontaze Burfict. He'll get himself suspended, he'll rack up three personal fouls in a playoff game... We will never fly like eagles being tethered to this turkey. And he'll consume the storylines coming out of Cincy. Who is no one talking about Geno? Because the din of Vontaze Burfict idiocy drowns out the chatter.

I agree with everything except the lack of Geno chatter. There was a wonderful lack of Burfict talk, even after the first game - it wasn't until they played Pittsburgh and the media went on a wild speculation spree that the real idiocy started.  Overall, though, I agree - this team is unlikely to win with Burfict in the lineup regardless of how well he's playing.  He's way too easy to penalize when the league has stamped him "guilty until... eh, naw, guilty", and he will always be used to tilt games whether he's done anything or not.

No, you can't act like you care about "dirty play" right up to the point where you literally cheer your guy doing it. Well, you can, but it makes you a hypocrite. Call Big Ben a rapist all you like - you don't care. You only care about what color jersey he wears. It's not even hate, it's envy. Pretty damn sad if you ask me.

Well, I don't cheer him acting dirty, maybe others do.  And Big Ben - I 100% care.  If he was drafted by the Bengals and he did the same bullshit I'd have stopped watching the team, I guarantee you.  I wouldn't have had to though because after he'd french kissed a windshield without a helmet on whilst acting like a douche I also guarantee the league/media would never let him forget it if he was a Bengal, and he'd have whined his way out of the league really early on because he wouldn't have been successful on the field either.  If you need more evidence: I was scared shitless we might end up with Cam Newton in the 2011 draft, and I DEFINITELY did not want a shithead like that leading the Bengals and I was prepared to stop watching them then.  I have continued to chastise the guy as he's only proven me right, and do you really think I give a shit about the Panthers or whether they win or lose?

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

The league wants Burfict gone because he targets other NFL players and the league wants to be able to say, " See, we responded once we knew the issue with CTE"

I mean.. "Targeting other NFL players" is kind of how you play football.  Who has Burfict injured other than Bell, & that on a completely normal tackle?  Antonio Brown was an obvious flop job.  If Burfict is deliberately trying to injure people he sure is bad at it.

FWIW I completely agree with you that this is about a CTE lawsuit more than anything.  If that was settled I have no doubt Burfict would suddenly be declared redeemed.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I mean.. "Targeting other NFL players" is kind of how you play football.  Who has Burfict injured other than Bell, & that on a completely normal tackle?  Antonio Brown was an obvious flop job.  If Burfict is deliberately trying to injure people he sure is bad at it.

FWIW I completely agree with you that this is about a CTE lawsuit more than anything.  If that was settled I have no doubt Burfict would suddenly be declared redeemed.

Antonio Brown's flop was so good he couldn't play in the next playoff game because he faked that concussion so well.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Antonio Brown's flop was so good he couldn't play in the next playoff game because he faked that concussion so well.  

OK, so let's call that a maybe.   Anyone else?  Because it looks to me more like he was missing tackles trying not  to hurt people or draw a flag.  

59 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

OK, so let's call that a maybe.   Anyone else?  Because it looks to me more like he was missing tackles trying not  to hurt people or draw a flag.  

Yeah, he hasnt looked good and didnt look to be in shape either.  BTW, I dont disagree that the league and media have it out for him.  I just think he brought some of it on himself.   

The last fine was kind of ridiculous.  They dont throw a flag for someone if they think they wanted to pass interfere but didnt.

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, he hasnt looked good and didnt look to be in shape either.  BTW, I dont disagree that the league and media have it out for him.  I just think he brought some of it on himself.   

The last fine was kind of ridiculous.  They dont throw a flag for someone if they think they wanted to pass interfere but didnt.

I only want to see some consistency in how games are called & that goes well beyond any one player.  It's cool if they want to designate a "strike zone" for tackling but they can't eliminate contact outside of it, so the refs are asked to judge intent.  I can excuse getting that wrong on the field, only "The League" reviews it in slow-motion over literal days and fines/suspends guys without much consistency, either.  Burfict earned a rep back to ASU (at least). A legitimate sport's governing body should not be part of that, or probably be part of the sports media at all.  Judge, jury, & executioner y'know? Compound that by routinely covering for guys who actually do heinous shit in the real world and I lose patience for this whole "villain" fairy tale.  Pro wrestling would call him a "heel" if it were acting.. which it may be?  If so they should probably tell Taze.

And get better costumes.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I only want to see some consistency in how games are called & that goes well beyond any one player.  It's cool if they want to designate a "strike zone" for tackling but they can't eliminate contact outside of it, so the refs are asked to judge intent.  I can excuse getting that wrong on the field, only "The League" reviews it in slow-motion over literal days and fines/suspends guys without much consistency, either.  Burfict earned a rep back to ASU (at least). A legitimate sport's governing body should not be part of that, or probably be part of the sports media at all.  Judge, jury, & executioner y'know? Compound that by routinely covering for guys who actually do heinous shit in the real world and I lose patience for this whole "villain" fairy tale.  Pro wrestling would call him a "heel" if it were acting.. which it may be?  If so they should probably tell Taze.

And get better costumes.

Is that Hines Ward?

16 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

It's only cringe-inducing because you're expecting him to get called/thrown out/suspended, and you're hoping it won't happen.  Has he hit anyone in the head?  Did he twist an ankle?  Did any opponent have even a hint of being even mildly injured by Burfict?  The answer is no.

Are you ONLY talking about this year? Because in the past, he has done all of those things. And it's cringe inducing because I know it's illegal. I might cringe when I see my Grandma selling crack, sure it's because I don't want her arrested, but I know she's in danger of being arrested because I know what she's doing is wrong.

In order: Yes, Yes, Yes.

As far as the rest... You have a much more charitable view of him as a person and a player than I do. Again, I used to coach and player safety is a big deal to me. I've seen too many cheap shots against kids I cared about to let ANY cheap shot get a pass. I'm honestly a bit chagrined to find that so many posters think that Football is some MMA/Smear the Queer gladiatorial violence fest and have a strong desire to see it stay that way. Did I just miss the fact that every High School in the country is running a free concussions program, or is this another side effect of the national insanity that seems to have us all firmly in it's grip these days?

Again, VERY glad I didn't let my kids play, glad I'm not as involved in the "sport" anymore. 

And in no sport in any galaxy is officiating "fair". You act like it's the easiest thing in the world to be unbiased and never wrong. And some bad calls don't add up to the board's grand conspiracy theory. 

And for Thurman - The NFL isn't a rehab center. We kept Chris Henry around "with the team"... How'd that work out? And ultimately, it was the Bengals who waived Thurman after yet another failed drug test. The Bengals had already fired him before his indefinite suspension. 

Burfict is 28 playing a position that doesn't see many guys past 30. Do you honestly think the light bulb is magically going to come on at some point in the next 2 seasons? Fuck. I'm tired of talking about the guy. I'm tired of hearing about him. I'd rather have a 6 page thread about a player that's worth talking about. Where's the Tyler Boyd thread? And why does the media hype this stuff? Because it generates controversy and gets clicks.

Whatever... His nonsense will still be a part of a game thread when he isn't even on the field, and the same broken records will spew the same garbage EVERY fucking time there's a flag thrown. You think he isn't sucking the oxygen out of the room? Yeah, sure. Interested in buying a bridge?

I'm a big fan of Burfict, but unfortunately he has become too big of a distraction and I think he should be cut.

But, if you are someone who has to make that decision, you are basically putting an end to this guys career (he's a PR nightmare), who off the field seems to be a very kind person, mainly because of a media and twitter witch hunt which has grown very tiresome. Some of it is deserved, but much of it is way over the top. That's a tough decision to make. 

I really miss old football...

7 hours ago, BengalsOwn said:

I'm a big fan of Burfict, but unfortunately he has become too big of a distraction and I think he should be cut.

But, if you are someone who has to make that decision, you are basically putting an end to this guys career (he's a PR nightmare), who off the field seems to be a very kind person, mainly because of a media and twitter witch hunt which has grown very tiresome. Some of it is deserved, but much of it is way over the top. That's a tough decision to make. 

Nice post Own! I agree with pretty much all you said! Burficts a great guy and I still say if his jersey was black n piss , they wouldn't be looking at him under the same microscope.

11 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Nice post Own! I agree with pretty much all you said! Burficts a great guy and I still say if his jersey was black n piss , they wouldn't be looking at him under the same microscope.

And if he was a Patriot they would be talking Pro Bowl.

Well, not this year because his play has dropped significantly but still.

11 hours ago, BengalsOwn said:

Dude! Where have you been at?

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, HavePityPlease said:

Not according to several of his opponents.  When he got suspended for the supposed "cheap shot" on the KC RB in the preseason, that RB said it was perfectly fine and he should have had his head up.  KC players were asked before last week's game with the Bengals about Burfict, and they were at worst mildly tentative, at best outright supportive of his play.  He is definitely not universally maligned.

Funny, the KC fans didn't reflect this opinion.  I was at the game and my brother in law wore his Burfict jersey.  Received comments all throughout the night how he should take that jersey off because "he's a bum" "dirtiest player in the league he should be gone" "he's a disrespect to the game".  And multiple f*ck Burfict's throughout the night too.  The NFL/media has pushed a narrative and he is most definitely universally maligned in the eyes of fans across the league.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, Bunghole said:

Dude! Where have you been at?

I started a business that has taken off, and bought a boat, got engaged, I barely have time to watch the games anymore. I still check in from time to time, to see what's going on. It's a shame how social media has mostly killed off message boards.

Archived